Arghhh!!! Damn rust!!

Trident_001

Hi To All,

Can anyone help with my frustrating situation? I've had my Mt-07 for almost two months now but sadly only got to ride her for a whole week at the start and then had to have a major shoulder surgery that has meant MT has spent all her time thus far sat outside under cover with not even 100 mies to her name. Since then weather has been ok. not too bad. some nice weather but occasional wet and windy days (ThIS IS ENGLAND!).
Anywho.....today I was a sunny day so I decided to pull away the covers of shame and allowed MT some air...just to look at her and gaze in awe only to be confronted by what cane only be described as orange patchy scabs of hell on my still barely worn in chain! yes, thats right.....RUST! :(
I'm livid. I'm so annoyed/ Since I only have use of one hand atm I havent been able to tinker or do much like I was planning to but having seen this rust on the chain I was hoping someone could come up with a solution/suggestion as to steps or measures I can take to fix this SHITE?!
How and why has this happened so soon? especially as I havent been riding it? HELP?

Trident

dazzor

It's just the chain, relax. If there's insufficient lube on it, a bit of oxidisation can and often does occur....if other conditions are right. The fact you haven't been riding it is a huge part of why it's showing surface rust.

Get the bike on a stand if you've got one, give the chain a good clean and then apply a decent, non-fling chain lube. Personally I don't like those white wax types with Teflon in, but that's just me.

Enjoy your MT and I hope your shoulder is ok.

Darren

da1kini

Hi To All,

Can anyone help with my frustrating situation? I've had my Mt-07 for almost two months now but sadly only got to ride her for a whole week at the start and then had to have a major shoulder surgery that has meant MT has spent all her time thus far sat outside under cover with not even 100 mies to her name. Since then weather has been ok. not too bad. some nice weather but occasional wet and windy days (ThIS IS ENGLAND!).
Anywho.....today I was a sunny day so I decided to pull away the covers of shame and allowed MT some air...just to look at her and gaze in awe only to be confronted by what cane only be described as orange patchy scabs of hell on my still barely worn in chain! yes, thats right.....RUST! :(
I'm livid. I'm so annoyed/ Since I only have use of one hand atm I havent been able to tinker or do much like I was planning to but having seen this rust on the chain I was hoping someone could come up with a solution/suggestion as to steps or measures I can take to fix this SHITE?!
How and why has this happened so soon? especially as I havent been riding it? HELP?

Trident
It´s because you haven't ride it. Just clean the chain properly and apply some lubricant (or what its called in english) and you'll be fine. Its nut rust in the sense that it has eaten through metal its only at the surface of it. Its called something else in swedish than rust but don't know the english word :)

Edit* And also what dazzor says :D

Ralph

100 miles does not sound a lot but chains tend to through their lub off
and if it was raining when you rode it it can get washed off, check it's
not to tight you would be surprised how hot a tight chain gets and then
it dries out goes rusty.

Jiro

Absolutely nothing to worry about - and would be the same on any bike with a chain unless you give it a quick clean with paraffin and spray with O ring compatible chain lube on return. I don't go for the dry stuff. Not sure if they make chains in stainless steel though.

I find it part and parcel of motorcycling looking after the chain. Years ago - I used to go for shaft drive (Kawasaki GT550 and GT 750) - but now chains do not worry me. If you look after them they should last well over 20K.

Also when you look at the short mudguards or fenders as some call them - it almost seems as the bikes are not for use in UK wet weather.

I said it would be the same on any bike, which is not quite correct - well on my working bike around London which is a Honda Cub - you don't get this problem as it has an enclosed chain. Indeed some of the old East German MZs you used to have an enclosed chain too.