First service

Viking

So I made 1100km in 10 days and I'm having my first service. What oil should I use, full or semi synth?

AJ Nin

I always go to full synthetic at my first oil change because I ride hard and conditions are harsh here in Texas with 95 F sunny weather and waiting at traffic lights, your bike gets hot. Dino oil are more subject to break down in harsh conditions like this. Whether it matters or not, I can't say, but I use Rotella T6 which has the JASO MA rating and is cheaper than many dino oils at $22 a gallon or less when on sale.

I read the problem with semi-synthetic is you don't know how much synthetic is in it, so it could be almost none, although I am sure Yamalube is good oil, but I still prefer a full synthetic. Many motorcycles and cars come with full synthetic too, so I don't think the idea of needing dino oil to break in an engine is true any more (if it ever was).

No reason to go to full synthetic though under normal riding conditions and if you are paying for it at a dealer, they will charge much more for full synthetic. Most people who eventually do go to full synthetic still feel you need to break the bike in a little more with dino oil...say 1000 miles or the 2nd oil change before going to full synthetic, the thinking being that dino oil allows for a better break-in. I do a hard break-in, so my oil was dark and dirty at 100 miles and the bike essentially broken-in. I do my own maintenance and went to the Rotella T6 at 104 miles. It is running very good now after not running so great when it was new (dying, hesitating, hard to start). I doubt that is a function of synthetic oil though. Probably just that the engine is broken in. Final answer: I don't think it matters which oil you use.

D

Deleted member 20

I always go full synth 10w40 MA2 SM, don't care about brand as long as it meet these specs. Paying 7,80 EURO per litre.

My Yamaha dealer is always using MOTUL 7100 full synth (if I ever were to use them to service my bikes).

Semi is a blend I never trust, could be 99% mineral and 1% synth, impossible for me to know what's inside that container.
If I want a blend I rather blend myself so I know what's in the mix, but full synth is better and I can afford it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking

I was thinking on useing yamalube semi synth. and30ers do you think that yamaha would recommend oil that is not so good for their engine?

PeaceMaker

I was thinking on useing yamalube semi synth. and30ers do you think that yamaha would recommend oil that is not so good for their engine?
I am using yamalube semi synthetic from 1000 km (first service) to 7000 (my second service) at that time I am going to switch to full synthetic. .

If I had the chance I ve been allways using 100% synthetic

Viking

I am using yamalube semi synthetic from 1000 km (first service) to 7000 (my second service) at that time I am going to switch to full synthetic. .

If I had the chance I ve been allways using 100% synthetic
Why are you unsatisfied with semi synth yamalube?

PeaceMaker

No.. It works as intended.. but for a small extra I could have the peace of mind of having the best oil available..

I love revving it.. :)

Viking

I always go full synth 10w40 MA2 SM, don't care about brand as long as it meet these specs. Paying 7,80 EURO per litre.

My Yamaha dealer is always using MOTUL 7100 full synth (if I ever were to use them to service my bikes).

Semi is a blend I never trust, could be 99% mineral and 1% synth, impossible for me to know what's inside that container.
If I want a blend I rather blend myself so I know what's in the mix, but full synth is better and I can afford it.
7,80 euro for a full synth? That's a bargain! Do you buy it in a larger pack? I'm going for a full synth too. Thank you everyone for your advices!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

I guess any oil meeting specs will do, semi or full. Yamaha don't make their own oil, any brand will do. I believe full is always better than semi. Full any brand is then always better than Yamaha semi. Same with brake fluid, I always use DOT 5.1 and not 4 as stated in manual since 5.1 is better. My Yam dealer always use 5.1 as well, and full synth oil.

D

Deleted member 20

I can afford 2.6 L synth oil total 20 Euro every year or max 10000 km.

RotaryFZ07

uploadfromtaptalk1404941795391.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404941802538.jpg
I paid a lot. $218 USD.

Oil changed. Using 10W40 of the Dino oil.

Synced the throttle body. Lubed the chain. Tightened the chain.

I could have done the oil change myself but the other things not so much.

I'll be using Motil 300V @1000 miles