Lean angle... Anybody managed to scrape their footpegs yet?

cosmikdebriis

Well I'm certainly no racer. But neither do I want to take the thing back for first service with a square tyre.

So, I've been leaning over more and more at roundabouts etc to see how far I can get before things get a little squiffy.

Anyway, I'd like to say the bike is excellent and very predictable. The torque particularly helps in picking the bike back up.

So far not a hint of a brown trouser moment but... I still haven't managed to scrape anything. Perhaps I'm just not trying hard enough?

Not that it's a particular aim of mine but just wondered how far you can go?

allyw71

Careful with all the pub talk about "chicken strips", don't get hung up on them. Also, roundabouts are not the best place to practice lean angles as they are a prime place for diesel spills.

badger27

I have no urge to throw her about lol couldn't think of a better eat of describing the unused part of the tyre . I'm very steady into corners.(learnt the hard way years ago)

cosmikdebriis

Well in my experience, knowing how far you can lean your bike can be just as much of a lifesaver as how much you can pull on the front brake (for those of us without ABS).

It's not just about speed but can be about getting round that bit tighter if someone changes lane in front of you without warning.

TJ63

I've been riding for more than 20 years and have never scraped the pegs on any of my bikes, although at least one of them was very capable of doing so.

Do I care? Not a bit. ;)

dazzor

I've been riding for more than 20 years and have never scraped the pegs on any of my bikes, although at least one of them was very capable of doing so.

Do I care? Not a bit. ;)

Whilst I also care not about such things, in my 25 year tenure on bikes I've found myself getting the odd peg down. Does it mean you're a good rider, erm.....no, not in my opinion.

My XJ6 is possibly the easiest bike for this as I'm convinced the clearance is awful.

In hot, dry weather on a sticky roundabout, it's not exactly hard, is it?

I recall the first time I got my knee down with sliders on.....once you've cracked it the first time, you get a real sense of it and it comes much easier after that.

Ah, this brings back memories of my brand new P reg ZX6R.....that poor bike :)

Last edited:
P

Peter

This is a fanastic well balanced bike. A beginner can easy to scrape the footpegs.

This is my rear tire without chicken strip (1-2 mm left but it is not possible to lean more)
IMAG0509.jpg

Footpeg sliders are too long, always touch the ground. Should be changed to a shorter type...
IMAG0518.jpg

laurisMT

manage to reduce the chicken strip on right hand side down to ~2 mm on second day I got the bike. its really stable and leans much easier than my previous bike. no scratches on the foot peg yet

DJP

Well I'm certainly no racer. But neither do I want to take the thing back for first service with a square tyre.

So, I've been leaning over more and more at roundabouts etc to see how far I can get before things get a little squiffy.

Anyway, I'd like to say the bike is excellent and very predictable. The torque particularly helps in picking the bike back up.

So far not a hint of a brown trouser moment but... I still haven't managed to scrape anything. Perhaps I'm just not trying hard enough?

Not that it's a particular aim of mine but just wondered how far you can go?
Well, I've got no chicken strips left yet I've never scraped anything. :confused:

Must all come down to riding style.

I agree about the torque - I love how easily it wheelies on the exit from bends!

P

Peter

If you have only 2 mm strip then you are very close to scrape the pegs.
The nose of my boots is the first thing. I have to pull back my leg before I do hard lean.