My Mrs made some comment about how much I spend riding bikes. I did some man maths.

sdrio

Interesting this.

I use my MT07 mostly to commute, and occasionally at weekends. I use my R1 for weekends, and occasionally to commute. I could have just one bike of course, but I like having a spare, it's 2 hours to get to work from where I am on public transport, the bike is less than an hour.

So, my Mrs had a little dig about it this weekend. Thinks I have a garage full of expensive bikes. I did the maths.

MT 07. Fuel, insurance, road tax. Tyres, brake pads, servicing and throw in 50 quid a year for misc items - costs £106/month. The R1 is more gassy, but I use it a lot less. Assuming about the same costs for maintenance, cost for that is about £62/month.

So, I spend about £168/month on the bikes. I'm not including the cost of the bikes themselves, They're both fully paid for, so there isn't any outlay there. (cough * manmath * cough).

A one month travel card for me to commute costs £212/month.

I WIN!!!

Eddieh93

I love manmaths!

Does she drive a car? if yes then you could argue that her car is too expensive and for her to get a bike?

sdrio

I love manmaths!

Does she drive a car? if yes then you could argue that her car is too expensive and for her to get a bike?
I did think about that, but unfortunately I think she'd notice the car has 4 seats and say something awkward.

I think the better way to deal with it is to get £44 in 50p coins tonight, hurl them all over the living room floor and bellow 'HERE'S ALL THE MONEY WE SAVED THIS MONTH' at her.

Never accuse me of being unsubtle.

Noggie

Man math..... Well, since you also spend two hours less than public transport you could also argue that she gets to see you more...... Though that may not be a winning argument......

As for the whole smoke thing.
There is a joke about that

Lady: Do you smoke?
Guy: Yes I do.
Lady: How many packs a day?
Guy: 3 packs.
Lady: How much per pack?
Guy: $10.00 per pack.
Lady: And how long have you been smoking?
Guy: 15 years
Lady: So 1 pack is $10.00 and you have been smoking 3 packs a day which puts your spending per month at $900. In 1 year, it would have been $10,800. Correct?
Guy: Correct.
Lady: If 1 year you spend $10,800, not accounting for inflation, the past 15 years puts your spending total at $162,000. Correct?
Guy: Correct.
Lady: Do you know if you hadn't smoke, that money could have been put in a step-up interest savings account and after accounting for compound interest for the past 15 years, you could have by now bought a Ferrari?
Guy: Oh. Do you smoke?
Lady: No.
Guy: Then where's your fucking Ferrari?