Oil level

Phil_B

I assume all of you folks are keeping an eye on your oil level?

Anyone experiencing any consumption?

I'm not fortunately, but did notice after my first service that the level they'd filled to was towards the bottom of the sight glass rather than top (when checked in line with the manual).

So I've put 150ml or so it so it sits more towards the top. Since clutch and gears are both swimming in it I felt I'd rather have it that way. Plus it's a bit of a margin should it use some!

Phil_B

Just make sure you don't have too much oil. Too much oil is worse than too little.
I agree about over filling so certainly have tried to avoid it. I've just taken mine from low in the recommended range to high.

Last edited:

da1kini

Forgive my ignorance but where would the oil go? I mean most of the time the bike is stationary, wouldn't there be oil marks on the ground? Or does the oil simply vanish or get consumed? Or is it somewhere taking a selfie?

Phil_B

Forgive my ignorance but where would the oil go? I mean most of the time the bike is stationary, wouldn't there be oil marks on the ground? Or does the oil simply vanish or get consumed? Or is it somewhere taking a selfie?
Some bikes, like SV650s are known to use a bit of oil and there are stories of owners who didn't check regularly (probably months rather than weeks) having engine trouble!

Since this is a similar sized/powered twin and a new bike, I'm making sure I keep an eye on mine!