Opinions? Is it legal to copy someone elses accessories?

sdrio

Not that I'm really planning on doing it, but if you bought for example a screen, made a mold of it using silicon rubber, then made some copies in fiberglass, would it be legal to sell them?

I once made a new tailpiece for my XT660 using that method. It wasn't perfect, as there's almost as much detail on the inside as the outside (fastening points etc). A screen would be much simpler, and if you were making a dozen of them, they'd work out pretty cheap.

My specific doubt is whether you can copy someone elses design - is it piracy of some sort?

Anthony

For your own use. There is nothing to stop you. Its if you try to mass produce and sell anything that you could run into trouble.

sdrio

For your own use. There is nothing to stop you. Its if you try to mass produce and sell anything that you could run into trouble.
Yeah, more or less what I was thinking.

Probably also on sticky ground borrowing one and copying it, but the chances of getting caught must be pretty much zero.

cosmikdebriis

I would have though it was an issue of copyright. If the thing is copyrighted then you couldn't but otherwise fair game. Anyway, all you have to do is change the radius on a curve or similar and it becomes your own design.

I very much doubt anyone could copyright a motorcycle screen as it would need some distinctive feature not already in regular use. Only the logo would be likely to have copyright.