Std or restricted for beginner?

Fit restrictor kit or standard?

• Fit the restrictor kit - you're a total beginner!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Leave it standard - use your right hand sensibly!

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

pengjn

I have a standard version MT-07 ABS model on order and have got my full licence booked in, which if i pass will give me my licence on 9th July. Thus far i've done 1 day on a KTM 400 off road in Canada ten years ago, 1 day on a Yamaha YBR 125 (CBT training) and 1 day on a rented Honda CBF 125 practising. I'll be doing my full licence training and tests on a Yamaha XJ6. My question is should I have the restrictor kit fitted even though I'll have the full licence, which might increase my safety?

busey

If your not sure I would go for a restricted one the restriction kit is free and it would make bike more sellable with the restrictor kit think it is only a few washers to remove when you are ready for the full power but ask your dealer about removing it might have to tweak the ecu

Gaz2212

Hi pengjn
You are doing your test exactly as I did mine 2 months back, I also used an xj6 to train and pass on. Doing mod 1 on the xj was very easy, mod 2 is all about just riding safe. I have not ridden the mt with the restrictor, I had mine as std same bike as you comp white with abs. I would say take the std bike and as I found as a new rider you yourself will be more sensible as you will ride to your own ability, the bike will more than out perform you so you will feel safe no problem. You will find the mt will accelerate far quicker than the xj you learning on but that not a bad thing as this could also get you out of trouble
My advice keep it std and restrict it with your right hand and enjoy. Good luck with your test
Cheers
Gaz

Will145

I second what Gaz said - standard bike. You control the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 20

My rather inexperienced wife comes from her 2011 XJ6-N ABS to her new 2014 MT-07 ABS. She thinks the MT (full 75 hp version) is easier to ride and handle, confident inspiring, and not scary at all. Just have to be gentle w. the throttle, which by the way is very friendly and controllable.

P

Peter

+1 vote for standard. Just keep in mind the bar in your right hand is not a switch.

The kit is free but if you want to keep the warranty you have to go to the dealer to remove it. AFAIK it is not free.

Mushymi5

Hi pengjn
You are doing your test exactly as I did mine 2 months back, I also used an xj6 to train and pass on. Doing mod 1 on the xj was very easy, mod 2 is all about just riding safe. I have not ridden the mt with the restrictor, I had mine as std same bike as you comp white with abs. I would say take the std bike and as I found as a new rider you yourself will be more sensible as you will ride to your own ability, the bike will more than out perform you so you will feel safe no problem. You will find the mt will accelerate far quicker than the xj you learning on but that not a bad thing as this could also get you out of trouble
My advice keep it std and restrict it with your right hand and enjoy. Good luck with your test
Cheers
Gaz
I would second this, I passed in March and haven't been on a bike for 10yrs, the breaking in period is good to get you used to the power and feel and then move on when your ready. Have to admit, everyone said it's too big and it did make me nervous but 10mins on it and I was loving it.

Will145

Yep I remember people saying when I got my sv650 - ooooo it's a big bike to start on but it was more than adequate and I quickly got use to the power. Especially as I did my das on a yamaha xj6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk