Switch gear; Yes, that indicator & horn affair

dazzor

Hi all,

I've been lurking on here for a few weeks now and today, finally, I took a test ride.

I won't bleat on about the plus points, we all know that engine is a peach.

Basically, my boggle is that crazy location of the horn and fiddley indicator arrangement. I was out on the bike an hour and I found myself hitting the horn instead of the indicator about 5 times.

Been riding since I was 16, passed the big boys test in 95, had all sorts of bikes, blah blah blah.

Really want this bike and am likely to place the order, just want hear that it's something you get used to really.....why didn't they put the horn underneath, where it's always been?

Thanks for reading

Darren

Will145

It's happened twice to me - once on the test ride and once on my own MT. It is something you get use to. I find myself getting somewhat embarrassed at the random tooting at random people so just whip back that throttle and get the hell outta there

dazzor

Thanks gents.

Yes, I'm sure I'll get used to it. That and the dash being so low .

Minor niggles; what a great little bike with true, real world, usable torque where it's needed most.

Can't wait to see all the offerings unfold from exhaust pipe houses.

Also, it's a bit agricultural at very low revs when on the clutch, doing traffic work/ filtering. Again, time on the bike will erode that too, I'm sure.

Biggest issue now; which colour? :)

Jon

Agree, its just in a slightly different place, you get used to it pretty soon. On the plus side: I love the smooth action of the indicator button - but maybe that's just because its still new! Also, combining the engine start with the cut off is such an obvious idea that I don't know why no-one else did it. Anyway: one less button is good!

PeaceMaker

Agree, its just in a slightly different place, you get used to it pretty soon. On the plus side: I love the smooth action of the indicator button - but maybe that's just because its still new! Also, combining the engine start with the cut off is such an obvious idea that I don't know why no-one else did it. Anyway: one less button is good!
Because on the first times you want to turn off the engine you will be activating the starter motor :S

dazzor

Agreed, Jon, that combination button solution struck me as one of those "why hasn't this been done before" moments.

I do 18 miles each way to and from work, 5 days week... The usual scenario. I live on the edge of Hertfordshire and journey into Central London.....the horn is, for me anyway, a crucial tool for heading off potential accidents before they happen.

I put a Stebel Nautilus (I think it was that model, can't remember now) on an old hornet a few years ago.... Think I'll be looking to upgrade the generic stock offering .

Will145

Thanks gents.

Yes, I'm sure I'll get used to it. That and the dash being so low .

Minor niggles; what a great little bike with true, real world, usable torque where it's needed most.

Can't wait to see all the offerings unfold from exhaust pipe houses.

Also, it's a bit agricultural at very low revs when on the clutch, doing traffic work/ filtering. Again, time on the bike will erode that too, I'm sure.

Biggest issue now; which colour? :)
Matt grey ;)

Ralph

I to rode a demonstrator to day, thought the switch gear is the cheapest looking
thing on the bike and I did wonder about the position of the indicators I had
no problem at all hit the right button every time.

Last edited:

dazzor

I to rode a demonstrator to day, thought the switch gear is the cheapest looking
thing on the bike and I did wonder about the position of the indicators I had
no problem at all hit the right button every time.
Maybe it was my Rukka, winter-esque gloves?

I don't have summer gloves right now, my old smx alpines are shagged.

Lighter gloves are sure to make this issue less obvious.

Last edited:

Will145

I'm a bit of a fair weather biker as I have a car for rainy, cold shite weather so use summer gloves . In 450 miles I've only hit it once on my bike so that could be the answer!

Last edited:

Ralph

I was using light summer gloves, it's just one of those things, when I had a Versys
I managed to switch the engine stop switch to off on two or 3 occasions but got
used to it after a week or so.