why modify

Rouqui

how many different new bikes are there? The big 4 makes about 80, plus Triumph,BMW,Ktm,Guzzi,Aprilia plus some others; there must be over 200 new models to choose from. our lovely little MT07 is a whizzy back-lane bike, she isn't a tourer, a trackday nor a sports bike. She is quiet enough not to disturb the horses in the field next to us. Economical. The bouncy bits at the front and back seem to work ok, and the brakes (on the rare occasion that I try them). The flashers do blink although of course I don't rely on any other road user taking any notice! There is some kind of grey panel with numbers on but I'm too busy watching the vanishing point to pay much attention to it. The only change I have made is to space out one of the mirrors by about 2 inches so I can see what is behind. (who is this Victor Meldrew bloke anyway?)

sdrio

:D

Hah. I tried stickpoking the noisy exhaust boys, but I didn't get very far!

The bit I can't quite get my head around, and this is firmly tongue in cheek with no disrespect, is;

"Hey, look at my new bike. It's great, it only cost 5 grand!"

"Nice. How much did all those extra cost?"

"Four grand"

Phil_B

For me, it's butchering the electrics, drilling holes in things or adding random shit that no one else would want that I don't get. Unless it's truly a keeper.

A decent aftermarket exhaust, accessory screen or luggage or heated grips... All half decent mods.

Buying a brand new bike or car and mutilating it seems odd to me, I'd want to be able to put it back to standard if needs be.

I can see In time the MT will have a few established improvements like so many SV owners love to do, I suppose that's fair enough.

I found with cars the people that did all this sort of stuff (chopping holes in rear bumpers for exhausts, racing brakes, etc) keep the cars for a short while but end up selling them and taking a hit because no one wants a e-modded one!

Last edited:

Slossy

I was tempted to upgrade the exhaust only because, I don't want to run over a pedestrian. I used to ride a BMW f650 with a modified exhaust, pedestrians would jump out the way even when crossing whilst on their mobile phones. But with the almost electric glide of MT-07, I have to keep a my thumb on the horn.

But as sdrio mentioned, the cost adds up. May as well by a MV agusts brutale 675, now that's got a set of pipes, although for double the price of the MT.

cosmikdebriis

Only "complaint" I have is the standard exhaust ( and I knew that the minute I test rode one). Not that I'm keen on making too much of a racket but I do like to be heard coming. It's mostly a safety thing but must admit to loving that off beat sound when it's unleashed from the "tinny" Yam system.

Each to their own though. It's not like we're bombing schools in Gazza. (Ooops... Did I get political).

dazzor

..........I decent aftermarket exhaust, accessory screen or luggage or heated grips... All half decent.
^ This

It's a pity the most popular and desirable mod costs a fortune....The exhaust. I'm not overly fussed about having a "Look at me" silly-loud exhaust but the OEM is silly quiet. On my test-ride a cyclist was totally unaware of me behind him in slow moving traffic....i was as close as it was safe to be.

Anyway, I'm not about to slate those who want to load up the total cost of their MT's.....after all, I'm convinced modern bikes are deliberately left wanting because of money to be made in the after-market industry...and not just the likes of Yamaha selling their own fly-screens ect. I suspect somewhere along the line, the third party concerns have a "relationship" with manufacturers.

afwestpunk

I don't do anything to extreme but the US safety amber signals are an eye sore compared to the Euro signals
luckily ebay has everything needed to swap out those mantis eyes to something more slimming and sexy. Plus keeping my bike as a cookie cutter image of another individual's ride is pretty lame.
My finger print is different and so are my vehicles

Delton100

I wont be adding anything to mine not even a radiator guard. But find it strange that Yamaha are selling a extra comfy seat, for about £180 are they saying the original seat aint comfy.

Ralph

I never change anything I cant change back when it come to bike swap time,
luckily I like quiet bikes, other stuff can often be fitted to the next bike.
I have a Morini that makes enough noise for most on standard pipes so
a quiet one is good.