12 volt take off for sat nav

roama119

sorry if there is already a topic for this, but i am looking to fit a sat nav and was just wondering if any one had found a 12v feed somewhere at the front of the bike. looking to mount a 12v socket aswell at some point. cheers in advance, jez

Ralph

There is one fitted 2Amp switched by the ignition but cant remember were the connector is,
the horn usually as a switched live and I usually use that if I cant find anything else.

i bought a satnav holder with a back up battery in it off ebay. clamps on the handlebar. battery lasts for about 8 hours. its a tight fit but ive done it and used it. check out ebay for it.

Nuggets

Databyter

Don't forget that many Nav devices really don't use 12V but 5V via USB or mini-USB connectors.

Even the 12V cord you plug in is designed to convert down to 5V if it has a USB connector on the end you connect your device with.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bike has a 5V feed somewhere, but if it doesn't just put one in yourself under the seat or something and just use USB power.

You could put a 12V plug, but it might be more useful to put a capped USB connection somewhere with the guts hidden. This is smaller, sleeker and easier to keep capped for waterproofing. I have a Garmin and I frequently just hook it up with a USB cord in my Car or at Work where I drive for a job.

Databyter

Last edited:

roama119

cheers for all the replies, i have a second hand tomtom rider with charge mount, this takes a 12 v supply. i suppose what i really wanted to know was have yamaha built in an auxiliary 12v live anywhere, before i go chopping into horn or headlight wires. It does show one in the manual but i have yet to go searching for it on the bike.

gregjet

Thanks balki you are a gem. Have to find the fuse for it and up the rating though for a GPS. If the wiring looks heavy enough could use it for the LED spotty power as well . Most bike wiring will handle 10 amps but need to check it first. Is there any others on the bike. I will have my workshop manual soon so hopefully I should be able to check if the resolution of the wiring diagram isn't too crappy ( a problem I have had with manuals a lot lately)

Donut

Balki - thanks for your post if was very helpful and eventually found the auxiliary plug today. Expected to see a blank plug hanging loose under the tank but with a bit of searching and help from here realised that what I thought was connected in to the loom was what I was looking for. Disconnected the male end realised that the female end could simply be pulled out of the loom safely. Threw the female bit away and replaced the male bit with a spare connector (male and female) that a mate had hanging around and used that for the sat nav.

RichMT

I ordered the 12v DC outlet from Yamaha when I ordered my MT. However, I'm not sure where it locates when fitted. Obviously it needs to be easily accessible as Yamaha do a Plug-un USB adaptor to go with it (although I'm using a much cheaper one with dual USB sockets).

Has anyone else fitted one and/or know if any pics are available?

Donut

Simply wired my 12v outlet directly to the battery and located it under the rear seat where only I can access it.