Blank gearbox indicator

iskaron

Hi guys,

MT-07 is my first bike and I'm a noob to the technical stuff.. I have following problem.
Sometimes (It has happened 3 times i think) when I'm down shifting quickly (approaching red light) gearbox indicator become blank and I'm not sure what gear I'm in. I also can't switch gears, so I need to stop, release clutch, start engine and then I can shift again. Am I shifting too fast? Or it should never happen and I need to consult with mechanic? I'm past the 1000km check.
Thanks.

hahapik

Hi,

When you downshift more then one gear, pay attention to release a bit the clutch at every gear change. If you shift a few gears down without releasing the clutch at all, you might get "beetween gears" than the indicator is blank. If this happens, you need to release the clutch, maybe push the bike a little, and gear in. Then the indicator should be back :)

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Ralph

If you are not doing it already you need to release the clutch after every change, and if you haven't got time
you need to start changing down a little earlier, if you do end up at a stop in to high a gear rocking the bike
back and forward or releasing the clutch slightly so the bike just moves should allow you to change the gears.

iskaron

Yeah, I was shifting from 5 down without releasing clutch .)
I'll try not to do it again.

Thank you very much.

P

Peter

Try to switch back while the bike is moving. If you release the clutch you can enjoy the engine break. Take care of the right speed-gear ratio.
It is a general issue of almost every bikes.

D

Deleted member 20

Can just add that this is the case with all bikes, all the time. Just release the clutch a bit and pull it in again and you can shift to next gear.

pgeldz

Hi guys,

MT-07 is my first bike and I'm a noob to the technical stuff.. I have following problem.
Sometimes (It has happened 3 times i think) when I'm down shifting quickly (approaching red light) gearbox indicator become blank and I'm not sure what gear I'm in. I also can't switch gears, so I need to stop, release clutch, start engine and then I can shift again. Am I shifting too fast? Or it should never happen and I need to consult with mechanic? I'm past the 1000km check.
Thanks.
Glad to know it wasn't just me. This exact thing happened to me as well, today. Car cut right in front of me and my first instinct was to pull the clutch in and downshift as fast as possible as I was braking to avoid hitting this car...

Luckily, I came out unscathed, but the bike did exactly as you described...

- Paulie

Sivvo73

I've had it a few times, usually when jumping gears, no need to switch engine off... Release clutch slightly until you feel gear engage or until you can successfully engage gear.. My advice try switching up better you go into 3rd than first. It's similar to when you try and put your car in reverse and you hear the grinding of gears, it's just the gear isn't engaged fully. I used to have a similar issue with an old virago not going into neutral, release clutch lever 10% and try again, pretty much works everytime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onuro

Hey guys,

First of all, greetings from Turkey, Istanbul.

For the trouble, I can say MT-07 is a torquey and strong machine. For that, NEVER shift down from at least 2nd gear while idling for the sake of your gearbox. If you however experience blank gear indicator, make sure you slightly release the clucth and it'll come back.

Cheers