BoosterPlug

foxracer

So, I came across this whilst browsing another forum where people were complaining of lumpy performance low down, most likely due to the lean fuelling.

BoosterPlug - Release the Power in your Motorcycle

It might resolve some of the idling/stalling issues that people have been experiencing by increases the fuel/air mix by 6%. Anyway, I've ordered one so will let the forum know if it makes any difference.

How does it work then ?

- If you can trick the Fuel Injection ECU to think the ambient air temperature is lower than the actual readings,
the ECU will richen up the injected mixture by a certain amount.
- The correct enrichment will greatly improve the driveability of your bike
- Basically, it is done by adding some extra resistance to the Air Intake Temperature Sensor, and the method
have been tested thoroughly by many independent sources and it actually works. No magic involved :)

Last edited:

Scim77

Thanks Foxracer. That is a very interesting find. The BoosterPlug website reads commendably well and the device sounds like an affordable, safe and worthwhile investment, especially for those of us with potentially leaner-running engines due to different exhausts and intake filters etc. Looking forward to your feedback.

foxracer

Yeah, I have high hopes for it. Never really fancied PCV, or having ECU reflashed from a warranty void point of view. I've found that the bike has performed better as is during winter, I guess as the air is colder anyway the bike is already increasing the fuel:air ratio. So hopefully this will have the same effect in the Summer months :)

robodene

I have seen it on another forum too. The level of enthusiasm was rather underwhelming, and with no satisfactory conclusion.

Ralph

What it's doing it fooling the ecu it's colder than it's own sensor is telling it,
next time I have the panels off I am going to try repositioning the org sensor
to a cooler place hopefully get a smiler effect.

foxracer

So, I finally got around to fitting it today. It arrived quickly, considering it was shipped from Denmark!

It was quite straightforward to fit, took me about 20 mins I'd say. Just remove the right hand tank fairing and the original sensor is under there. The Boosterplug looks really well made and seems to use OEM plugs/sockets.

First impressions are that I definitely think it makes a difference. I'm sceptical by nature, so I could just put it down to the fact that I'm used to the bike or that after 2,700 miles everything is bedded in and working properly, but I don't think its that. The hesitancy at low revs is gone, and I feel like the bike pulls away more smoothly. It picks up more quickly and does seem less jerky at lower revs. The bike now idles slightly higher (as you'd expect) but whether it cures any other problems (stalling) only time will tell.

All in all, its a thumbs up from me but I'll report back when I've used it on a longer trip :)

nobull

Thanks for taking the time to let us know, its appreciated, and I for one will be interested in your thoughts when you've had it on for a bit longer (especially as I've got an arrow can on). I feel the same about reflashes/PCs etc.

foxracer

Yeah, I've got an SC Project exhaust on mine, but I don't think I ever experienced any issues before installing the boosterplug due to replacing the exhaust

foxracer

Yeah, I can do, although in all honesty I don't really pay attention to it. Since my MT07 is just a weekend toy, I've never really been too fussed about the MPG :p

The Boosterplug blurb states that it shouldn't make much difference because the increase is fuel/air mix is purely at the lower end of the re range, where they bike doesn't spend a whole lot of its time!

gregjet

Used a Booster plug on both my Husky tr650 and my BMW f800R. Worked really well....until the ECU figured out that it was supplying too much fuel. Then it slowly got bad again and you would have to reset by removing running it for a while and putting it back on. The MT may NOT have the same problem because of the way the ecu loops work. Personally I would get the ecu reflashed. The difference is huge and worth it.

Ralph

Any more feedback on the Booster Plug ???
A mate as one on a W800 Kwaker and recons it's good.

What I have noticed on mine is that if you unplug the 02 sensor
it runs nicer at low speed and responds a little better just as you crack
the throttle it makes changing gear smoother, I have left the sensor
in place just unplugged it but if I intend leaving it off I will get a blanker
plug and remove it, done about 50 miles so far no problems no lights
on the dash, fuel seems about the same, more after I re fill the tank in about
150 miles.

Last edited: