Carrying a security chain and pillion

addy

Hey,

I need some advice on how I could carry a chain while riding with a pillion, I use a 13mm pragmasis chain (7kg) and usually carry it in a Kriega US10 tail pack when riding on my own but this doesn't work when i'm riding with pillion.

I'm not going to be fitting a tail box/case and I also looked at a tank bag but the Givi tanklock bags state a max weight limit of 3kg, not really sure if this is a limit for most bikes or just the tanklock mechanism. If anyone has any ideas it would be helpful.

mellanslag

Hmm.. how about around your neck? It worked for Mr. T..

I can't really find a maximum load for the Yamaha tank bags, but if the Givi is 3kg, the Yamaha probably isnt over twice the limit.
If it's long enough, you might be able to attach it around the bike, between the rider seat and pillion, but that's probably less than optimal.

addy

Hmm.. how about around your neck? It worked for Mr. T..

I can't really find a maximum load for the Yamaha tank bags, but if the Givi is 3kg, the Yamaha probably isnt over twice the limit.
If it's long enough, you might be able to attach it around the bike, between the rider seat and pillion, but that's probably less than optimal.
If it was a poor quality 1m chain it would prob be fine to chuck in a backpack or over your shoulder but its too heavy for that. I know with bags they are often conservative when it comes to weight limits but double is probably pushing it.

shadowmonkey

If it was a poor quality 1m chain it would prob be fine to chuck in a backpack or over your shoulder but its too heavy for that.
7kg is not to heavy to sling over your shoulder, just takes a little time to get used to.
After a few rides it won't feel so restricting, if you want to take a chain with pillion this is the only way.

bypasser

I had the same trouble. Couldn't find a good solution. Over the shoulder sucks. Especially when the chain is dirty.
A risky solution might be an alarmed high quality disk lock as deterrent, at least that's portable. Not as good as a chain though.

addy

I had the same trouble. Couldn't find a good solution. Over the shoulder sucks. Especially when the chain is dirty.
A risky solution might be an alarmed high quality disk lock as deterrent, at least that's portable. Not as good as a chain though.
Yea I use an abus 8077 disk lock which is fine for short stays but it's nice to have a chain when i'm going to be a long time. Carrying a heavy 2m chain over your shoulder isn't worth the risk for me and the possible damage it could do to you in an accident so I would just not take it if that's the only option.

Donut

Yea I use an abus 8077 disk lock which is fine for short stays but it's nice to have a chain when i'm going to be a long time. Carrying a heavy 2m chain over your shoulder isn't worth the risk for me and the possible damage it could do to you in an accident so I would just not take it if that's the only option.
How about the disc lock and combine it with a cheap light cable lock (or two).

bypasser

Might be the best solution there Donut? Portable and combined with disk lock enough of a deterrent to make thieves look for easier target?

addy

How about the disc lock and combine it with a cheap light cable lock (or two).
Yea I have a kryptonite cable that I use to lock down the cover on the front wheel when at home, I've used it a couple times when leaving the bike for a short time and it's definitely better than nothing though its a shame it can be cut in a second. :(

Frustrating that the risk of leaving a bike not properly secured in London is so high.

sdrio

yeeeeaaaaaa........no
I think, unfortunately, you've pretty much covered all the possibilities.

- It's certainly not going to fit under the seat.
- The pillion can't / won't carry it. (Understandably, but it's a valid option)
- You don't want it round you neck, also understandable.

Other than winding it around the frame somewhere, that's about it, isn't it?

Just an observation though - in London, bikes are almost always nicked from bike bays by someone smacking the bars to break the steering lock, wheeling it forward and lifting it into a waiting van.

They can't do this if they can't push it out of the bay, so a disk lock will almost certainly be enough to stop them. There is a big caveat to this, and I say it from personal experience - they MUST be able to see the lock! Someone tried to steal mine, obviously didn't see the disk lock, smashed the steering lock then had to abandon it as it had a disk lock on it. They just left it as it was, about a foot forward from where I left it.

What I did after that was paint my disk lock yellow, and also have a light oxford chain that does fit under the seat. I make sure they're both on, and are visible, and I am 99% confident if it's in a bike bay on a public street, they'll move on to something easier.

If they're really determined, they'll have it anyway, and your 7kg lock probably won't help any more than my 2kg one does. That's what insurance is for.

addy

I think, unfortunately, you've pretty much covered all the possibilities.

- It's certainly not going to fit under the seat.
- The pillion can't / won't carry it. (Understandably, but it's a valid option)
- You don't want it round you neck, also understandable.

Other than winding it around the frame somewhere, that's about it, isn't it?

Just an observation though - in London, bikes are almost always nicked from bike bays by someone smacking the bars to break the steering lock, wheeling it forward and lifting it into a waiting van.

They can't do this if they can't push it out of the bay, so a disk lock will almost certainly be enough to stop them. There is a big caveat to this, and I say it from personal experience - they MUST be able to see the lock! Someone tried to steal mine, obviously didn't see the disk lock, smashed the steering lock then had to abandon it as it had a disk lock on it. They just left it as it was, about a foot forward from where I left it.

What I did after that was paint my disk lock yellow, and also have a light oxford chain that does fit under the seat. I make sure they're both on, and are visible, and I am 99% confident if it's in a bike bay on a public street, they'll move on to something easier.

If they're really determined, they'll have it anyway, and your 7kg lock probably won't help any more than my 2kg one does. That's what insurance is for.
I was looking at a disk lock for the rear also but i'm not sure what one will fit as the disk is smaller than the front and also doesn't have the gap for the bolt. Tried carrying the chain in a backpack yesterday on a short journey with my gf and fucking hell it was heavy and uncomfortable lol.

From what I understand if they are going to put it in a van they lift the front wheel and roll it on the rear or just lift it with a couple guys. I'm going to order a tank bag and check how it fits and how strong the mount is.

sdrio

I was looking at a disk lock for the rear also but i'm not sure what one will fit as the disk is smaller than the front and also doesn't have the gap for the bolt. Tried carrying the chain in a backpack yesterday on a short journey with my gf and fucking hell it was heavy and uncomfortable lol.

From what I understand if they are going to put it in a van they lift the front wheel and roll it on the rear or just lift it with a couple guys. I'm going to order a tank bag and check how it fits and how strong the mount is.
Yeah, locking both wheels is definitely going to make it harder. These guys rely on a very fast 'hit and run', they don't want to be hanging around getting locks off.

I use a chain on the back for exactly the reason you say - it fits the wheel, and it still stows under the seat. It's a proper chain, just not as heavy as yours.

The other possible advantage is if you can find a bay with a rail at the back, you can lock it to that and then there's pretty much no chance they can nick it. I have 2 bays near my work, one has rails but is busy, so i don't always get in that one.

Another observation though - don't be tempted to leave a chain behind, locked to the railings Instead of carrying it when you take the bike. Our intrepid thieves have been known to cut a link during the night, replace with a cable tie (which you won't see if it's under the chain cover), allowing them to just snip it when you come back and use it to lock the bike.

Complicated, this biking thing, isn't it?

addy

Yeah, locking both wheels is definitely going to make it harder. These guys rely on a very fast 'hit and run', they don't want to be hanging around getting locks off.

I use a chain on the back for exactly the reason you say - it fits the wheel, and it still stows under the seat. It's a proper chain, just not as heavy as yours.

The other possible advantage is if you can find a bay with a rail at the back, you can lock it to that and then there's pretty much no chance they can nick it. I have 2 bays near my work, one has rails but is busy, so i don't always get in that one.

Another observation though - don't be tempted to leave a chain behind, locked to the railings Instead of carrying it when you take the bike. Our intrepid thieves have been known to cut a link during the night, replace with a cable tie (which you won't see if it's under the chain cover), allowing them to just snip it when you come back and use it to lock the bike.

Complicated, this biking thing, isn't it?
Yea I always carry my chain in a kreiga tail pack when i'm on my own and don't leave it for the reasons you said and worst case if there is nothing to chain it to i'll loop my chain around another bikes chain.

My problem though is when I have a pillion and cant carry the chain, got a tank bag coming today and i'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Eddieh93

I have 2 Xena alarmed Disk locks and they go through the disc holes no problem and fit in under the seat with the tool bag as well, they are loud and bright yellow. Only thing I will say is they are really sensitive any slight movement will set them off (which I suppose is a good thing).

» XZZ6L Disc-Lock Alarm XENA Security Disc Locks, Alarms and Accessories for Motorcycles and Scooters

Like sdrio said if they want it that bad they are going to have it, no amount of mobile security is going to stop that. All it takes is a few guys to lift into the back of the van locks and all.

To make the disc locks stand out get a cable that attach's to your handlebars as well which saves you the embarrassment of leaving the lock on while trying to leave and falling off and also it is another deterrent.

addy

Let us know how it goes with tank the tank bag Addy
Just received the bag (Givi 3D604) and it fits fine and the bag is very rigid so it feels secure. I haven't got the mounting bracket yet for the bike and that is where my concern is, whether it is strong enough to support the weight.

I have 2 Xena alarmed Disk locks and they go through the disc holes no problem and fit in under the seat with the tool bag as well, they are loud and bright yellow. Only thing I will say is they are really sensitive any slight movement will set them off (which I suppose is a good thing).

» XZZ6L Disc-Lock Alarm XENA Security Disc Locks, Alarms and Accessories for Motorcycles and Scooters

Like sdrio said if they want it that bad they are going to have it, no amount of mobile security is going to stop that. All it takes is a few guys to lift into the back of the van locks and all.

To make the disc locks stand out get a cable that attach's to your handlebars as well which saves you the embarrassment of leaving the lock on while trying to leave and falling off and also it is another deterrent.
I use the Abus 8077 alarmed disk lock for the front with a reminder cable, nearly road off the other day with it still on cause I was in a rush lol. I avoided xena because I heard a lot of negative comments about their alarms and customer service, too many reports of constant false alarms even when the lock is in a backpack or under the seat.

Thieves being able to just lift it into a van is exactly why I am trying to find a way of carrying my chain