Clutchless up-shifting.

Ralph

Just a matter of matching revs to road speed in the next gear but get it wrong and you can
damage the gear box if you really must do it practice going from 5th to 6th first though cant
really see the point for road riding, the engine braking is nothing special on the 07 though
certainly not aggressive, on race bike a sensor cuts the power as you move the gear lever
but they don't shut the throttle, if you mean shifting like that you need a quick shifter .

gregjet

Yamaha gearboxs have been brilliant up AND down shifters without the clutch for a VERY long time ( with the exception of the XV1000 which had a really crap gearbox.) Even a relatively sloppy technique will give you a good shift. As the others have said gentle practice and very fast, but sensitive to the lever feedback, will reward you with a good shift. Basic technique. Toe up a little against the lever to feel the tension point, close the throttle just a little ( you are trying to take the load off the gears) and at the same time lift the lever and you should feel the lever tension relax as it goes into gear properly, raise the throttle BACK TO WHERE IT WAS AT THE START OF THE SHIFT then open it up a bit more if you need to. On Yammys the change is amazingly smooth. Up and down. Hondas tend to shift up well but you usually need the clutch to shift down. A slipper clutch helps with control on downshifts though and I haven't seen one yet for the MT07.....but I'm looking.

D

Deleted member 20

What slippers are you looking at? Any favourite brand? Pros and cons among them? Sigma, Yoyo, TSS, Suter?

gregjet

I have only used Sigmas on my ER6N. Oh and the OEM slipper on Sally's KTM Duke 690. Doubt there will be a slipper made for the MT07 as the capacity in Europe and USA ( Aussie one is 655cc would get you into a couple of classes in Aus.) is a weird size for racing, so may not be the demand. The clutch MAY be a parts bin item though, in which case a slipper designed for another bike could fit, but I wouldn't hold my breath looking for a match . MT09 maybe? Recent bikes such as my BMW F800R use the ecu to stop rear wheel hop on overshif,t so may not be necessary if they have done the same on the Yammy. Still waiting for my ECU back from ECUwest ( to allow full power aus one has restricted throttle opening ECU programmed) to see if it exhibits hop. The 270deg cranks act like a Vtwin and this setup is particularly prone to rear wheel hop on deceleration.