D-Lock on a MT07

spchappell

Hi All,

Passed my test last week and just picked up my shiny new MT07 and with it I bought a hefty thatcham chain. This is great for at home but the days I take it to work its a bit heavy in the backpack and a little unnerving. My insurance company will allow me a D-Lock so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for one that could be fitted to the bike so that I dont have to lug a heavy piece of steel in a backpack.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Crypto

A nice disc lock like the ABUS Granit Quick Maxi

https://youtu.be/xXQ9nnyIBoI

Last edited:

Crypto

Thanks but I meant D-Lock(as in D shaped) not disc lock as my insurer wont let me go for a disc lock.

Simon
I know what kind of lock you meant but didn't think your insurer would possibly let you have a D-lock and not a disc lock. Strange...

Donut

You used to be able to get a bracket that mounted behind the number plate to hold a D-lock (although couldn't find one on a quick google search) alternatively could try and hang one from the sub-frame under the seat/behind the pillion pegs.

bypasser

Think about how you would use a d-lock on the bike. I wanted one but couldn't find one that could get around the wide rear tyre or attach easily anywhere else on the bike that was secure and could reach an anchor point.

I've settled for an extra chain that I leave at work. It still left me with the issue of the rear wheel being the only practical anchoring point most of the time but, at additional cost, I've just solved that I think.

I've bought a 'mini anti pinch pin' from pragmasis. I've run it through the cutout in the right side swingarm. I already had the required Squire lock that works with the anti pinch pin so avoided that additional cost. This seems to be the most secure arrangement I can devise in my circumstances and one that I should be able to reuse with other bikes I think. I can also just carry the lock and pin between home and work for use in both locations if needed (I'll use with chain I have in both places). All in not the cheapest solution but suits me given what I already had and my needs for parking in London.

I'd post links or pictures but think I'm too new to do that.

Gee

I've bought a 'mini anti pinch pin' from pragmasis. I've run it through the cutout in the right side swingarm. I already had the required Squire lock that works with the anti pinch pin so avoided that additional cost. This seems to be the most secure arrangement I can devise in my circumstances and one that I should be able to reuse with other bikes I think. I can also just carry the lock and pin between home and work for use in both locations if needed (I'll use with chain I have in both places). All in not the cheapest solution but suits me given what I already had and my needs for parking in London.
I have done similar altho i've got the 440mm Anti-pinch pin which is perfect for going through the swingarm cut out, through the wheel and out the otherside exiting under the chain.

As stated, not cheap but bloody bomb proof. Leave it in-situ at work.

Got the 16mm Protector chain and Torc ground anchor fitted at home too.

Donut

I have done similar altho i've got the 440mm Anti-pinch pin which is perfect for going through the swingarm cut out, through the wheel and out the otherside exiting under the chain.

As stated, not cheap but bloody bomb proof. Leave it in-situ at work.

Got the 16mm Protector chain and Torc ground anchor fitted at home too.

Just remember that thieves love it when people leave their chains in place as it gives them plenty of time/opportunity to cut through them, hold them together with a cable tie and hide their handiwork back under the covering that most chains have.

Then just a couple of seconds work to cut their cable tie and lift a bike into a waiting (possibly sound proofed) van.

bypasser

Just remember that thieves love it when people leave their chains in place as it gives them plenty of time/opportunity to cut through them, hold them together with a cable tie and hide their handiwork back under the covering that most chains have.

Then just a couple of seconds work to cut their cable tie and lift a bike into a waiting (possibly sound proofed) van.
I did not know that one, but makes sense. Guess I need to be more wary.

sdrio

I made a carrier for a D-lock years ago for my GPZ750, which as already suggested, I fixed to the back of the number plate.

Can't remember exactly what I did, but I recall getting two pieces of steel pipe, just wide enough to slide the lock into, fixed those to another flat plate (I think I wrapped the plate around the pipes to hold them in place) and used something like a quick release mechanism from a bicycle wheel to 'push' one of the pipes slightly apart from the other, so it would grip the lock and stop it moving around.

You'll probably find something made for the job nowadays, I did mine when a D-lock was state of the art.

One the other hand, while I completely understand you might be limited for choice in which insurance company you use, they sound like idiots. I can't see why a d-lock is any better than a disk lock, it's certainly easier to bust through one.

Ralph

I think there have been quite a few claims were the rider as tried
to set off forgetting they had the disc lock on.

sdrio

I think there have been quite a few claims were the rider as tried
to set off forgetting they had the disc lock on.
I've done it a few times with the disk lock.

You've got to be really bloody good not to drop it when it happens. I reckon I'm about 3-1 down to the lock so far.

da1kini

I've done it a few times with the disk lock.

You've got to be really bloody good not to drop it when it happens. I reckon I'm about 3-1 down to the lock so far.
That is why you always put the lock as close as you can, in the wheels direction, near the front forks. Cause then you can't get 1cm when trying to pull off.

sdrio

That is why you always put the lock as close as you can, in the wheels direction, near the front forks. Cause then you can't get 1cm when trying to pull off.
Hah. Yes. Took me a couple of years, but I worked that out in the end!

Luckily haven't dropped the MT07 yet.

Donut

View attachment 1716i. Use a plastic curly remiñder also let's scumbags know know its locked
Plastic curly thingies are cheating.

What you really need to do is get yourself a nice big heavy bike (VFR750 perhaps), find somewhere really busy to park (Isle of Man maybe), park in a nice big line of bikes (Bushys' car park perhaps) and have it next to something nice and expensive (like a brand new Ducati).

Then when you do drop it, and dozens of people see you, you'll be so embarrassed that you'll remember never to do it again.

Just saying like.

I wouldn't have been stupid enough to have done anything like this of course.

No sir, not me.

Honest.

sdrio

Plastic curly thingies are cheating.

What you really need to do is get yourself a nice big heavy bike (VFR750 perhaps), find somewhere really busy to park (Isle of Man maybe), park in a nice big line of bikes (Bushys' car park perhaps) and have it next to something nice and expensive (like a brand new Ducati).

Then when you do drop it, and dozens of people see you, you'll be so embarrassed that you'll remember never to do it again.

Just saying like.

I wouldn't have been stupid enough to have done anything like this of course.

No sir, not me.

Honest.
The trick is, when you're lying in the road with the bike pinning you down by the ankle, to make it look as though you meant to do that.

I'm not sure I've quite got that bit right yet, the people who very kindly came and lifted the bike off of me still seemed to have been thinking I did something stupid.