Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

Ralph

It's not like that.

What is happening here is that as you do that blip on the 'problem' MT07s, the engine misfires. You don't get a proper blip, so the engine stalls.

Let's agree on something. There are MT07s that do it, and MT07s that don't. If yours doesn't, you need to understand that ours are different to yours, and that no amount of advice on how to pull away on a motorbike is going to stop them doing it. It is a fault.
That sounds like a classic case of weak mixture, which makes me wonder about the throttle position sensor,
can the sensor be checked and adjusted using the on board diagnostics like on a Suzuki? or do you have to have a dealer
plug it in, ? if brave you could make it's position and try it both sides of the org position and see if it's better.
but really you should not have to mess with it and the dealer should sort it out.

sdrio

That sounds like a classic case of weak mixture, which makes me wonder about the throttle position sensor,
can the sensor be checked and adjusted using the on board diagnostics like on a Suzuki? or do you have to have a dealer
plug it in, ? if brave you could make it's position and try it both sides of the org position and see if it's better.
but really you should not have to mess with it and the dealer should sort it out.
Could be. That was the fix they did with the 660 unit in the xt660/mt03.

Unfortunately it didn't work, but hey . . .

Ralph

Unfortunately modern single cylinder engine have relatively little flywheel effect and fire half
as often as a twin so are more prone than most at this kind of behavior, never had a modern
twin that did it but then again I have not got my MT yet.

Ralph

If it does it just as you open the throttle you should be able to show them,
of course the bloody thing will behave perfectly wile your there and stall at
the first junction on leaving the dealer.

sdrio

What's your dealer saying about this - have they taken it for a proper test ride?
I haven't taken it back. My dealers have been utterly useless about everything, so I'm wary of asking them anything.

I'm planning to politely enquire and see if someone can take a look at it at the MT roadshow in a couple of weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can get it looked at by another dealer.

Ralph

If you e-mail Yamaha UK explain as you say politely, that does honestly make a big difference
they may recommend a different dealer, hope you get it sorted somthing like this totally spoils
the experience of getting a new bike.

sdrio

If you e-mail Yamaha UK explain as you say politely, that does honestly make a big difference
they may recommend a different dealer, hope you get it sorted somthing like this totally spoils
the experience of getting a new bike.
I did email them, they told me they weren't aware of any problem, and nobody from the press fleet had mentioned it, and therefore they hope that puts my mind to rest.

I sent them a link to this and other threads on the net. If they're not aware of the problem now, they're being negligent.

I'm pretty sure it's something simple. As someone mentioned above, the 660 single problem is probably to do with the physics of the kind of engine it is. There's no reason for a twin to do it, and (to my mind anyway) this is a fuel system issue. Should be easily solved. Just have to wait for Yamaha to get round to it.

Irksome

I think you should take the bike back to your dealer and insist they test ride it. By failing to act you are actually making your potential legal situation worse. My dealer is pretty bad too, but they certainly investigated the issue when I reported it and I think they did something that fixed it.

I presume you've seen my link to the Visordown review where they mention this too.

McCracken

It's not like that.

You've described a perfectly normal way to start off on a bike - blip the throttle as you let the clutch out.

What is happening here is that as you do that blip on the 'problem' MT07s, the engine misfires. You don't get a proper blip, so the engine stalls.

Let's agree on something. There are MT07s that do it, and MT07s that don't. If yours doesn't, you need to understand that ours are different to yours, and that no amount of advice on how to pull away on a motorbike is going to stop them doing it. It is a fault.

What I have done is adapted my way of driving. Every single time I pull away on my bike, I have to be conscious of the problem and make sure it has gone beyond the misfire point before I start letting out the clutch. This has two effects;

1. It doesn't do it any more.

2. It is the most difficult and tiring bike to operate that I have ever ridden in my life. You cannot relax and enjoy it when you're in traffic, for one second.

So, all you guys waiting to take delivery, keep your fingers crossed, you might not get a shit one. Good luck.

[edit] Just to be clear, when I say it doesn't do it any more, it misfires all the time. It doesn't stall, because I'm waiting till it has revved past the misfire point before I let the clutch out.
And what does the dealship say about this ? I know i would for sure go nuts if i ever buy an MT07 and it has this problem, i would immediately require the dealership to either :

1. Fix it asap!
2. Give full refund
3. Exhange the bike for a new one without problems.

sdrio

I think you should take the bike back to your dealer and insist they test ride it. By failing to act you are actually making your potential legal situation worse. My dealer is pretty bad too, but they certainly investigated the issue when I reported it and I think they did something that fixed it.

I presume you've seen my link to the Visordown review where they mention this too.
Yes, just read it. Not sure whether I should be punching the air and hissing "Yesss!", or getting even more depressed. :D

Anyway, that's dealt with the "None of the press have mentioned it" response I got from Yamaha.

I will eventually take it to the dealer if I have to, but it's the least desirable option for me. I know I already sound like a moaning old man, so I won't go into details about the place I bought it from, but what I'm really wanting to see is Yamaha to acknowledge the problem, and offer a solution of their own.

The roadshow is on in a week and a half, I'm going to wait and see if I can talk to someone there. If not I'll see about getting it looked at by a Yamaha shop.

Meantime, I know a lot of you don't have this problem, so have no reason to be concerned, so the fact you are concerned is appreciated.

sdrio

Hrm that's too bad. I have stalled once.

But thats because I let go of the clutch without enough gas.
Recap of this thread:

My engine keeps stopping.

Are you stalling it?

No.

Oh. OK. try letting the clutch out slower.

I'm not stalling it.

Right. Bummer. Mine doesn't do that. I rev it up a bit before I start. Have you tried that?

I'm not stalling it.

Are you sure you're not stalling it?

Yes.

Probably your brake fluid need topping up.

*sigh*

Are you sure you're not stalling it?

dazzor

So you're not stalling it then? :)

Perhaps hearing from more owners who's bikes don't do it will offer some solace?

Seriously, please do let us know what the road show people have to say.

All the best

Darren

sdrio

So you're not stalling it then? :)

Perhaps hearing from more owners who's bikes don't do it will offer some solace?

Seriously, please do let us know what the road show people have to say.

All the best

Darren
:D

I will.

Actually, prompted by all this I did call the dealer. The mechanic said he'd just had another call 20 minutes before about the same problem from someone else, who was taking the bike to him next week.

I said I'd try and bring mine in as well - the other one has an Akra exhaust (mine is standard), so the mechanic was keen to look at both. Said he or one of his mechanics would take it home overnight, see if they could get it to reproduce the problem.

I'll see how it goes next week. If I get the chance, will drop it off there, if not will ask at the roadshow.

dazzor

:D

I will.

Actually, prompted by all this I did call the dealer. The mechanic said he'd just had another call 20 minutes before about the same problem from someone else, who was taking the bike to him next week.

I said I'd try and bring mine in as well - the other one has an Akra exhaust (mine is standard), so the mechanic was keen to look at both. Said he or one of his mechanics would take it home overnight, see if they could get it to reproduce the problem.

I'll see how it goes next week. If I get the chance, will drop it off there, if not will ask at the roadshow.
Sounds more promising from the dealer than perhaps you were expecting; quite good news in itself....another bike with the Akrapovic being a real bit of good timing too.

Either way, I'm sure this will get sorted one way or another.

Also,........you're sure you're not stalling it?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

D

sdrio

Sounds more promising from the dealer than perhaps you were expecting; quite good news in itself....another bike with the Akrapovic being a real bit of good timing too.

Either way, I'm sure this will get sorted one way or another.

Also,........you're sure you're not stalling it?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

D
Well, if nothing else it seems that the evidence is pretty undeniable now. I just hope it's a simple tweak.

I'm going to try slowly letting out the clutch while keeping the revs high, like it says in the user manual.

dazzor

Perhaps you could start a new thread, inviting members to give advice and tips on how best to ride your bike?

Ralph

At least you are not on your own now, I will be in the local Yam-a-hammer
dealer next week they have sold a few I will ask if they have had any problems
with stalling.

AJ Nin

A video is worth a thousand words. If you don't get this resolved because it is an off and on thing and when the dealer gets the bike it checks out OK...which is highly likely, the next step for me would be a Go-Pro. Just start riding around and documenting. You should get some good footage of the stall along with the engine sound and circumstances. These kind of videos eventually showed up with the Ninja 300 stall and it became clear even to people who did not have problems that the issue was there as indeed it was. Kawasaki recalled the Ninja 300 and replaced all the 2013 ECUs due to stalling on some bikes.