Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

P

Peter

Maybe this bike is extremely sensitive for the perfect throttle body sync? Have any of you tried to adjust the sync?

allyw71

For those its affecting, have you tried turning up the idle. Its the first thing I would try, I know its been mentioned before but I can't recall anyone doing it and posting results.

Ralph

You cant just turn up the idle speed it's controlled by the ECU there is a screw and lock nut
that stops the butterflies from fully closing but that is not intended to be moved, and if you
did speed it up by using that the ECU would just turn it down again, throttle body sync
or throttle position sensor adjustment may be, or even just a tight engine that needs more
running in, my Suzy did a very similar thing now n then but not after 2000 miles, some
have reported it as stopped after the first service maybe they have adjusted the throttle
sync as it's slated for the first service.
MCN are Running one as a long termer, maybe someone with one that dose it will e-mail
them and ask if it happens to theirs sort of thing.

da1kini

Maybe this bike is extremely sensitive for the perfect throttle body sync? Have any of you tried to adjust the sync?
That SHOULD be done in first service. All of you posting about cheap services and they skip this are suckers in my opinion. My sync was way off and the bike runs much better now...

Also heard a rumor saying that if the mechanics fail to check this your warranty for the bike can be questioned if your bike misfire a lot and keep stalling etc...but just a rumor but why risk it right?

sdrio

That SHOULD be done in first service. All of you posting about cheap services and they skip this are suckers in my opinion. My sync was way off and the bike runs much better now...

Also heard a rumor saying that if the mechanics fail to check this your warranty for the bike can be questioned if your bike misfire a lot and keep stalling etc...but just a rumor but why risk it right?
I paid £130 for my first service, and as far as I can see they just changed the oil.

That's just a rumour, there's no legal basis for that - what it's saying is you are supposed to know more about your bike than a qualified mechanic. That'd never hold water!

da1kini

I paid £130 for my first service, and as far as I can see they just changed the oil.

That's just a rumour, there's no legal basis for that - what it's saying is you are supposed to know more about your bike than a qualified mechanic. That'd never hold water!
Sure but the service manual states it and for that price they should check it. Trust me most mechanics try to save time and most new bikes the throttle sync is fine so they take the risk of complaints rather than have to remove the whole tank to perform this throttle sync test. If you paid that much (which seems around what you should be paying for the first service they SHOULD check it) Maybe it is causing the stalling who knows?

Hell even my mechanic said that he already found a way where he could perform the test without removing the tank (and that was only after doing service on 2 bikes...) so trust me when I say most mechanics will dodge this test if they can get away with it.

How Yamaha will react is hard to say but it is stated as a mandatory check for fist service for a reason.
I bet if this stalling issue gets there attention the first thing they will check is if to see it this test have been done. What do you think?

Last edited:

sdrio

Sure but the service manual states it and for that price they should check it. Trust me most mechanics try to save time and most new bikes the throttle sync is fine so they take the risk of complaints rather than have to remove the whole tank to perform this throttle sync test. If you paid that much (which seems around what you should be paying for the first service they SHOULD check it) Maybe it is causing the stalling who knows?

Hell even my mechanic said that he already found a way where he could perform the test without removing the tank (and that was only after doing service on 2 bikes...) so trust me when I say most mechanics will dodge this test if they can get away with it.

How Yamaha will react is hard to say but it is stated as a mandatory check for fist service for a reason.
I bet if this stalling issue gets there attention the first thing they will check is if to see it this test have been done. What do you think?
You're probably right, but the dealers I bought from are pretty useless.

I've avoided taking the bike back because it's a lot of agro to take it to them, leave it, get to work etc.

da1kini

You're probably right, but the dealers I bought from are pretty useless.

I've avoided taking the bike back because it's a lot of agro to take it to them, leave it, get to work etc.
I can see your point, but if your bike is performing badly or unexcpected then why not force them to do the test? You already paid for it with that first service...

annubissl

Hello all. I'm from the Caribbean where daily temps on the nation's roadways, barring rain, is about 38-40 degrees. I'm in a toss up between the Fz07 Fz09 and the bolt. I'm a lazy bugger so the thought of chain maintenance on a daily commuter seems like a hassle, so i like the bolt since its belt drive. But having to cover 100 miles daily commute with at least 60% highway and 40% in town riding. a bike with a 6 speed transmission maybe a better option.

Price wise the Fz07 seems the best buy. but this stalling issue has me concerned. Cagers are maniacs in m county. Stalling at a light will get me killed. to those who are having the stalling issue, have any of you adjusted the play in the throttle cable? Haven't heard much mention of the large amount of free play in the throttle cable being a possible culprit.

sdrio

Hello all. I'm from the Caribbean where daily temps on the nation's roadways, barring rain, is about 38-40 degrees. I'm in a toss up between the Fz07 Fz09 and the bolt. I'm a lazy bugger so the thought of chain maintenance on a daily commuter seems like a hassle, so i like the bolt since its belt drive. But having to cover 100 miles daily commute with at least 60% highway and 40% in town riding. a bike with a 6 speed transmission maybe a better option.

Price wise the Fz07 seems the best buy. but this stalling issue has me concerned. Cagers are maniacs in m county. Stalling at a light will get me killed. to those who are having the stalling issue, have any of you adjusted the play in the throttle cable? Haven't heard much mention of the large amount of free play in the throttle cable being a possible culprit.
It's not the cable.

AJ Nin

There is another FZ-07 forum and nobody besides me over there has had a stall issue. Not many members, but I am the only one, and mine only occurred the first day I had the bike. Once broken in, the bike runs perfectly. I am starting to think it is not a widespread issue. I am also convinced it is a real issue though and not a rider error issue.

Having said that, there are a number of people who have stall issues not related to fuelling or whatever is causing the non-rider stall. You do have to give the bike some throttle. I was also watching a YouTube video and someone pointed out something else about the FZ-07...there is almost no friction zone. The clutch grabs almost instantly. What that means is, that you can't start forward even a little, then decide to give it some gas. The throttle has to be opened a bit before beginning to release the clutch or the bike will stall. Anyway here is the video where someone mentioned that fact about the FZ-07... listen to what he says at 2:11. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej7LTTeoomk Now apply this fact to starting out on the bike from a light and you can see what I mean....short friction zone! Shorter than any bike I have ever owned.

motomeek

This happened to me while downshifting on the freeway. I added the throttle and received no response back… just me coasting in pure silence. Since I started to slow down even more, I down shifted again and just cranked the throttle and it "caught" on, giving me a jolt of power back.

Thankfully it did. I was in the carpool lane with no place to pull over.

At about 500 miles on the bike.

da1kini

There is another FZ-07 forum and nobody besides me over there has had a stall issue. Not many members, but I am the only one, and mine only occurred the first day I had the bike. Once broken in, the bike runs perfectly. I am starting to think it is not a widespread issue. I am also convinced it is a real issue though and not a rider error issue.

Having said that, there are a number of people who have stall issues not related to fuelling or whatever is causing the non-rider stall. You do have to give the bike some throttle. I was also watching a YouTube video and someone pointed out something else about the FZ-07...there is almost no friction zone. The clutch grabs almost instantly. What that means is, that you can't start forward even a little, then decide to give it some gas. The throttle has to be opened a bit before beginning to release the clutch or the bike will stall. Anyway here is the video where someone mentioned that fact about the FZ-07... listen to what he says at 2:11. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej7LTTeoomk Now apply this fact to starting out on the bike from a light and you can see what I mean....short friction zone! Shorter than any bike I have ever owned.
Sorry but I can release clutch without throttle and pull away....So that may be accurate for some bikes but not all.

da1kini

And another thing. Would be fun to see how many of the stalling bikes that have had their body throttle sync checked and fixed at first service. Seems like a lot of people brag about cheap service but the only thing they get is a oil change and filter change...

AJ Nin

Mine performs like the guy's in the video...little to no friction zone. The other half of not having a noticeable friction zone is that if you don't rev match, each gear change will be a little jerky. Mine does that too. Higher torque plays a part in the jerkiness too, plus there is no slipper clutch. Thirdly, as you downshift...same thing. Your rear tire will tend to skip a bit. The clutch also engages out pretty far with my bike. You could get the same result on almost any bike by just releasing the clutch quickly, but with the FZ-07, every clutch change is like that...instant engagement. No feathering the clutch possible. I am fairly sure this lack of a friction zone is one reason for stalling.

dazzor

And another thing. Would be fun to see how many of the stalling bikes that have had their body throttle sync checked and fixed at first service. Seems like a lot of people brag about cheap service but the only thing they get is a oil change and filter change...
To my mind, if folk are having issues and this throttle body sync thingy is a likely fix.....it should be a free of charge service under warranty.

Also, I don't perceive people on here exchanging first service costs out of interest as "bragging".

Edit; indeed, I was told by my dealer the first service is free albeit for the cost of oil and filter. I think people are exchanging first service cost to see if some dealers are taking liberties.

Last edited:

AJ Nin

First I heard of throttle bodies needing synchronization early on, but could be. Honda does valve checks on many of their bikes at 600 miles with the same bucket and shim system as in the FZ-07. Yamaha, recommends the first valve check at 26,600 miles. Often the synchronization and valve adjustments are done at the same time. I plan to have mine done.....never.

Ralph

The bit point on the demo bike I rode was a bit sharp but it did not bother me
as my Morine is at least as sharp, on the demo bike you could set off in 3rd
without silly revs or clutch abuse, I can understand that new riders may have
a problem with the sharp biting clutch slow tickover and quiet engine but for
experienced riders to have problems the bike must be behaving differently
to the one I rode, just hope I get a good un.

AJ Nin

With experienced riders the stall problem would not be failure to give the bike throttle when setting off after a couple of rides. It would be an intrinsic issue with the bike itself, but you already know that. Only a handful of people seem to have the intrinsic stall. Let us know though.

I've owned 30 motorcycles and the friction point is the shortest of any I have ridden so it is short. I have had to rev match this bike. My last bike was the Ninja 300...just the opposite of clutch action. Long friction zone and a slipper clutch with the 300 so no need at all to rev match going up or down the gears.

da1kini

To my mind, if folk are having issues and this throttle body sync thingy is a likely fix.....it should be a free of charge service under warranty.

Also, I don't perceive people on here exchanging first service costs out of interest as "bragging".

Edit; indeed, I was told by my dealer the first service is free albeit for the cost of oil and filter. I think people are exchanging first service cost to see if some dealers are taking liberties.
Why would it be free of charge when the service manual states that it should be checked and adjusted if needed at first service...
And yes people are "bragging" of low cost services and they seem to think if they get it for free and the mechanic skips a really important bit its a good thing. I can see why you would exchange first service costs but hen by all means you must look at what you got at your 1st service and compare that. People are posting they got a good dealer or mechanic cause they got it cheap...but all they got was a poor 1st service with no body throttle sync...