Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

da1kini

First I heard of throttle bodies needing synchronization early on, but could be. Honda does valve checks on many of their bikes at 600 miles with the same bucket and shim system as in the FZ-07. Yamaha, recommends the first valve check at 26,600 miles. Often the synchronization and valve adjustments are done at the same time. I plan to have mine done.....never.
Read the service manual....says it should be checked and adjusted at first service...I bet you that most of the stalling bikes have not had that checked...but hey I might be wrong...you just go ahead and never adjust yours...I will follow the manual :)

dazzor

Why would it be free of charge when the service manual states that it should be checked and adjusted if needed at first service...
And yes people are "bragging" of low cost services and they seem to think if they get it for free and the mechanic skips a really important bit its a good thing. I can see why you would exchange first service costs but hen by all means you must look at what you got at your 1st service and compare that. People are posting they got a good dealer or mechanic cause they got it cheap...but all they got was a poor 1st service with no body throttle sync...
I have been told, by more than one dealer, when I was shopping around for the bike, that the first service labour was included in the price of the bike.

Does the manual mention the cost of the first service?

Having said all this, you raise a good point and when I finally get my bike, I'll be asking this is checked and will happily pay extra for it....if I have to.

However, being disparaging about members who are pleased with their first service cost, be it out of ignorance or not, for me, is not in keeping with the spirit of this forum.

Could you not have simply said those who are trying to get first services done on the cheap may be subscribing to a false economy.....instead of churlish comments about bragging.

Just my opinion being aired, as you have yours

All the best

Darren

Last edited:

TJ63

Seeing as how mine has stalled a couple of times, I think I'll get my Carbtune out tomorrow and check the balance of the throttles on mine. I hope they're not out, as I've no idea how to adjust them.

At least this may see if this is part of the problem.

Ralph

Cant see a ajuster on the parts diagram, if it as a ajuster it will be between the two throttle bodies
and turning it will bring the two reading closer together if you turn it the right way.

i now pull away at just under 5K revs and upshift quickly with very little clutch. bike seems to enjoy it.
booked the bike in for it 600 miles service today (being done on the 11th) and dealer is going to increase the tick over a little when running warm as this is when i have had the stall happen. they do know about the problem as i have spoken to them about it.

akyros

i now pull away at just under 5K revs and upshift quickly with very little clutch. bike seems to enjoy it.
booked the bike in for it 600 miles service today (being done on the 11th) and dealer is going to increase the tick over a little when running warm as this is when i have had the stall happen. they do know about the problem as i have spoken to them about it.
and how he is going to do that;

akyros

the computer only diagnoses the errors
it cant alter any parameters like idle rev speed
and yamaha hasnt release any new map

AJ Nin

This throttle body thing looks more like an attempt to get you back for the 600-mile service so the dealer can make some more money and get you used to going to the dealer for your maintenance. They pick something you are not likely to be able to do yourself...like throttle body synchronization, since there is some specialty equipment needed. Honda does the same thing, but with them it is a 600-mile valve check. Do not underestimate the marketing involved in these maintenance intervals. The other way to look at this is, if you really do need a valve check or throttle synchronization at 600 miles, someone did not assemble and adjust the bike properly to begin with.

TJ63

Seeing as how mine has stalled a couple of times, I think I'll get my Carbtune out tomorrow and check the balance of the throttles on mine. I hope they're not out, as I've no idea how to adjust them.

At least this may see if this is part of the problem.
Ok, so I checked the balance and it's miles out. Worse than any of the bikes I've ever checked and adjusted. The two columns on the Carbtune were about 100mm apart.

As mentioned above, there is no adjuster - it must be done electronically. I took off the bodywork and searched for ages. The place where you would expect to find the adjuster has a gizmo with a couple of wires attached. Perhaps a stepper motor?

Mine stalled again today, just the once.

TJ

Ralph

The stepper motor thing is the idle speed adjuster,
looking at the part diagram there seems to be on
the top outside edge of each body a adjusting screw
but it's a bad pic and not labeled.
I suspect but not sure as I haven't seen one in the flesh
that they may be bypass screws for balancing the throttle bodys.

Last edited:

da1kini

I have been told, by more than one dealer, when I was shopping around for the bike, that the first service labour was included in the price of the bike.

Does the manual mention the cost of the first service?

Having said all this, you raise a good point and when I finally get my bike, I'll be asking this is checked and will happily pay extra for it....if I have to.

However, being disparaging about members who are pleased with their first service cost, be it out of ignorance or not, for me, is not in keeping with the spirit of this forum.

Could you not have simply said those who are trying to get first services done on the cheap may be subscribing to a false economy.....instead of churlish comments about bragging.

Just my opinion being aired, as you have yours

All the best

Darren
Hi Darren,

Regarding cost for first service it could as -Yamaha stated in a previous post- be included in the sales agreement when you purchase your bike. But they also state that a lot of customers due to the lack of bikes at the market choose to shop for a bike somewhere not close to them and do not intend to go back for regular service at that dealer they made the purchase from. Therefore a lot of dealers do not include the first service with the sale price but rather give something extra instead..like gear or something else.
About me calling people braggers maybe it means a more awful thing in UK than in Sweden but your right I was out of line with that one. Just seems a bit frustrating that people have a problem with their bike and don't see the potential connection with lack of proper first service but are happy they got away cheap.

And the first service should include a body throttle sync for the reason pointed out earlier.

Regards,

Last edited:

da1kini

Ok, so I checked the balance and it's miles out. Worse than any of the bikes I've ever checked and adjusted. The two columns on the Carbtune were about 100mm apart.

As mentioned above, there is no adjuster - it must be done electronically. I took off the bodywork and searched for ages. The place where you would expect to find the adjuster has a gizmo with a couple of wires attached. Perhaps a stepper motor?

Mine stalled again today, just the once.

TJ
The dealers have tools to adjust the sync. And as I said earlier it should be done at first service. Have you had your first service?

da1kini

Why should they adjust the tick over rate? Make them check the throttle body sync first as mentioned in the manual?

da1kini

This throttle body thing looks more like an attempt to get you back for the 600-mile service so the dealer can make some more money and get you used to going to the dealer for your maintenance. They pick something you are not likely to be able to do yourself...like throttle body synchronization, since there is some specialty equipment needed. Honda does the same thing, but with them it is a 600-mile valve check. Do not underestimate the marketing involved in these maintenance intervals. The other way to look at this is, if you really do need a valve check or throttle synchronization at 600 miles, someone did not assemble and adjust the bike properly to begin with.
....or maybe they need it checked cause the first miles the bike is run in and a lot change in parts assembled? And to be honest the whole first service cost about €140 and for that my mechanic spent almost 2 hours on the bike...so no they are not doing it for the money.

TJ63

The dealers have tools to adjust the sync. And as I said earlier it should be done at first service. Have you had your first service?
Yes, I have had the first service. I've no idea if the sync was checked, but I suspect not, seeing as how it's so far out now with 1800 miles on the clock.

da1kini

Yes, I have had the first service. I've no idea if the sync was checked, but I suspect not, seeing as how it's so far out now with 1800 miles on the clock.
Then I suggest you go back to dealer and show the mechanic that made your first service what should be included. :)

mellanslag

Then I suggest you go back to dealer and show the mechanic that made your first service what should be included. :)
At my service, they checked the EFI sync, which I assume is the thing you're talking about? Didn't really improve anything for me that I could notice, though I probably don't have enough experience to know either way. However, the stalling is still present.

da1kini

At my service, they checked the EFI sync, which I assume is the thing you're talking about? Didn't really improve anything for me that I could notice, though I probably don't have enough experience to know either way. However, the stalling is still present.
Translated from the manual it is "fuel injection system" - control: "tune synchronization"

Is that what you mean by EFI ? ;D