Engine "rattle" under acceleration...

kiriakos

weird annoying metal sound

Hello, i bought the mt07 a few days ago and i ve done 150 km so far. When i am shifting gear and then accelerating , i hear a weird metal sound at the backround, that its not noticable in low speeds. It sounds like its coming from the chain or the gear box ( i am no expert ). Maybe its because is new . Anyone got any clue?
Thnx in advance

da1kini

Hello, i bought the mt07 a few days ago and i ve done 150 km so far. When i am shifting gear and then accelerating , i hear a weird metal sound at the backround, that its not noticable in low speeds. It sounds like its coming from the chain or the gear box ( i am no expert ). Maybe its because is new . Anyone got any clue?
Thnx in advance
I hear the same.Almost a "ticking" sound? Like someone tapping against metal? Someone who knows engines said it was normal and due to the valves, but I don't know if thats why. I also hear that ticking noice when idle but It gets louder at higher speeds..

kiriakos

I hear the same.Almost a "ticking" sound? Like someone tapping against metal? Someone who knows engines said it was normal and due to the valves, but I don't know if thats why. I also hear that ticking noice when idle but It gets louder at higher speeds..
Yes thats the noise i think. If it doesnt stop ill head to the dealer and ask him

roama119

i also had this noise when the bike was new, like a ticka ticka ticka noise usually at about 30-40 mph at low revs or when coasting. havent noticed it for a while now though im on about 1200 miles

gpeet

Cam chain tensioner is self adjusting
and at that low mileage it hasn't yet reached its first setting ,that's what yammy dealer told me

Noting to worry about , plus yammys are a bit ticky

sdrio

Mine was handed over with a very slack chain, that made a metallic noise, but it wasn't particularly rhythmic.

cosmikdebriis

My bike makes a sound that I can best describe as "pinking" (for those of us old enough to remember pinking) when accelerating but only for a while then seems to rev cleanly. So, it's not a "ticking" but more of a rattle. Somewhere between a small and big end rattle if that helps describe it?

I took it back to the dealer and test rode their demonstrator (again) which made pretty much exactly the same noise so I'm assuming it's "normal"?

Just wondered if anyone else has the same noise?

Perhaps the Arrow exhaust will clear it up when eventually it arrives.

sdrio

Interesting.

We've been having a discussion about the engine cutting out when pulling away at low revs, and earlier today I heard it doing exactly that as it tried to die - what I call pinking.

Maybe we're zooming in on the problem.

Have you had it stall at all?

cosmikdebriis

I've had it stall on occasion. Mostly when I pull up at, for instance, a junction and have been going quite fast beforehand. Pretty sure the two aren't related though.

da1kini

Yes, that sound is described from picking to pinking to rattling to ... It is all good what I have been told....:)

da1kini

Are you sure that this sound is normal? Look at this video. The Yamaha MT-09 has the same 'problem'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYRaJBxSTNI&feature=youtu.be

I' ve read it could be the tensor of the distribution chain but I'm not sure.
Not the same as I experience. That sound in the video is way more "spiky" and "metally" mine is more like a valve ticking sound and thats normal. Had mine in for first service and the technicians said all 2 cylinder bikes have that ticking like my MT 07....not nearly the same out of tune "picking" sound like the video.

Also it does follow the revs, not like that sound in the video is idle all the time...thats not valves that something completely different problem :D

Smithers

Hi All yes I two have had concerns about a noise coming from the engine sounds like a timing chain vibrating at 5000 rpm I've done about 250 miles ,been back to dealers this morning and he says they all do it ,showed me on the demo model, He says its the EXUP valve in the exhaust ?not 100% convinced myself .. bike goes fine

Ralph

No I would not be convinced, seeing as it as not got a exup valve, ask him to show it to you.

the noise on the video sounds like cam chain tensioner to me, the 09's at least the early ones
seem to have a cam chain tensioner problem think they have tied about 3 different ones up
to now to fix it.

Did'nt notice any odd noises on the demo bike I rode and I did listen.

Last edited:

tose_gtx

Same thing on my Yamaha MT07

Are you sure that this sound is normal? Look at this video. The Yamaha MT-09 has the same 'problem'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYRaJBxSTNI&feature=youtu.be

I' ve read it could be the tensor of the distribution chain but I'm not sure.
Same thing on my Yamaha MT07! The sound in situated in the cylinder head area.In the morning is not noticeable,but when the engine reaches work temperature the noise is there.
Just past 2000km ,and after the first service this sound came up.They have used 15w50 Yamaoil on the bike,i was surprised to because in the manual that oil is not considered.
I have visited the service and they say that the noise is normal,but i could see their week knowledge about it.:mad:

Don't have a clue what to do next!!!!

P.S. searching for solution i have found this
FZ09 noisy cam chain tensioner 'fix' - YouTube
could that be the same problem with the MT07???

Last edited: