fitting hid kit.

hello all.
i have a hid kit for the MT-07 and as im crap with electrics wondering if any other MT owner would like to give me a hand installing it. could also take a load of pics and make it into a sticky so other owners can refer to it.
Im based in farnborough hampshire but also happy to ride to you if your close and know what you doing :D.

regards
James.

Thsam

hello all.
i have a hid kit for the MT-07 and as im crap with electrics wondering if any other MT owner would like to give me a hand installing it. could also take a load of pics and make it into a sticky so other owners can refer to it.
Im based in farnborough hampshire but also happy to ride to you if your close and know what you doing :D.

regards
James.
Hey James

Im afraid I wont be able to help you with the installation, but I was curious to know where and what Hid kit you bought?

Regards Thomas

Nuggets

I bought a kit for £24 new off eBay. Fitted it to a gn125. Worked well considering the poor electrics of that bike.

The hi/lo works by a solenoid sliding the bulb past a metal shield. There is a ballast and transformer unit, it has a ignition voltage of 23,000volts to strike an arc across the plates which causes the intense light, this then falls back to probably 108volts during use. It draws less power than a filament bulb so no mod's to the wiring are required.

My only issue with the kit I got was the bulb contains a solenoid which moves the filament in and out of the shield for hi/lo and the connecting wire broke due to vibration/solenoid moving. I've repaired it once, it took patience, fine soldering and tweezers to reattach the wire to the solenoid winding, it worked for two weeks then failed again.

The light was ok, but the lens optics play a big role in the scatter of the light and the gn125 lense is crap.

I'm selling the 125 to make space for my MT07 (17 days and counting) and have kept this kit.

I think there are three options for me,

1) use the tx/ballast to drive a single HID
2) replace the solenoid
3) scrap it and investigate CREE led bulbs.

Whichever option I think the optics on the MT-07 headlamp need to change to match the bulb type being used, maybe a visit to the scrappy is in order, BMW hid lenses with the led angle eyes could be nice if they can be made to fit, I feel a project coming on!

allyw71

Having fitted a H4 Xenon HID kit to a Honda Varadero before, I have to say that I found the dipped beam to be much better, but the full beam not as good as the standard halogen lamps. The kit that I had used electro magnets to move the bulb up and down when switching between high and low beam, but the headlights reflector just isn't designed for use with those type of bulbs and I don't think its a good solution, and I'm a huge advocate for retro-fitting HID kits, I fit them to everything. I think its better to fit a high quality filament bulb like Osram Night Racer or equivalent, and then fit auxiliary LED lights if more light is desired.

Last edited:

Nuggets

Having fitted a H4 Xenon HID kit to a Honda Varadero before, I have to say that I found the dipped beam to be much better, but the full beam not as good as the standard halogen lamps. The kit that I had used electro magnets to move the bulb up and down when switching between high and low beam, but the headlights reflector just isn't designed for use with those type of bulbs and I don't think its a good solution, and I'm a huge advocate for retro-fitting HID kits, I fit them to everything. I think its better to fit a high quality filament bulb like Osram Night Racer or equivalent, and then fit auxiliary LED lights if more light is desired.
It sounds like the same kit I had, the glass filament is shunted up and down about 1/4" in the bulb holder. I agree the optics are everything, certainly general illumination improved on my bike but the halogen reflector and lense caused the light to scatter a lot. HID/LED need a focus forward lense. Ive been thinking about how to arrange two hid lenses in the MT headlamp, I have ideas (slow day at work!)