Flash ECU instead of dyno + Power Commander

e4xit

Hello, please excuse me if I am misunderstanding something in my question, kind of new to tuning concepts...

That said, I am wondering what is the cheapest way for me to set up my bike to be fuelling properly with Akrapovic Titanium with no baffle or cat installed?

I know one option is to get a Power Commander, but they are £££ for me at the moment. Is it possible that people have this map available for the ECU with this setup and I could just copy that and get it flashed onto mine, no dyno/PC required?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gee

Ive got the same setup. Ti Akra and no cat.

I just run a 20 minute idle every time I take the baffle in or out. Not sure if it actually works on the MT's ECU but it does on a lot of bikes.......doesn't hurt to try.

Mine always runs like a peach.

shadowmonkey

There is a place in Norfolk called track electronics that will flash ecu by post for £180 inc vat, not used them and all the write up on the ecu reflash looks promising, also you tell them what parts you have on eg: Akra and K&N and they put a map on closest to that, that's been tested. So it takes of all the factory defaults including the tps or Rev restriction in top gear at 8k revs at 118 mph so sounds good in my opinion.

Donut

Ive got the same setup. Ti Akra and no cat.

I just run a 20 minute idle every time I take the baffle in or out. Not sure if it actually works on the MT's ECU but it does on a lot of bikes.......doesn't hurt to try.

Mine always runs like a peach.
Mine ran like a peach at the Isle of Man TT without the baffle in the Akra BUT when I had it dyno'ed I was told (and shown on the print out) that it was running VERY lean without it and that they did not advise running the bike without the baffle in.

May be best to get yours checked before or in case of engine damage.

Scim77

There is a place in Norfolk called track electronics that will flash ecu by post for £180 inc vat, not used them and all the write up on the ecu reflash looks promising, also you tell them what parts you have on eg: Akra and K&N and they put a map on closest to that, that's been tested. So it takes of all the factory defaults including the tps or Rev restriction in top gear at 8k revs at 118 mph so sounds good in my opinion.
I tried to check out Track Electronics but their website does not seem to work. I found a phone number via Yell but no valid website. Has anyone else has any luck?
Personally I am still most intrigued with Hilltop Motorcycles (Leicester), since their method offers an adaptive bolt-on to the standard ECU software, making it future-proof for bike mods and climate factors.

e4xit

Hmmm, that Hilltop option sounds promising. I have run about 4K miles with no baffle in now with no apparent problems...yet

shadowmonkey

I tried to check out Track Electronics but their website does not seem to work. I found a phone number via Yell but no valid website. Has anyone else has any luck?
Personally I am still most intrigued with Hilltop Motorcycles (Leicester), since their method offers an adaptive bolt-on to the standard ECU software, making it future-proof for bike mods and climate factors.
Yeah website don't work so got their number from Facebook and spoke to them on the phone. Then used google for their address.

I first got the info from here You searched for Mt 07 - VeloxRacing.com - FTecu Flash-tune Rotobox Graves Motorsports Europe
then went to dealers and zoomed into my country and so went from there.

Last edited:

user1

Reply to Post #1

I know my opinion is in the minority,
but I wonder (?) if the expensive kismos to "tune" you bike or adding an after-market exhaust are really worth it....

First of all, the aftermarket stuff is usually *very expensive for most folks; period. Yet folks pay it because they can pay and will pay; so somebody is there to sell you something for a considerable amount of money. What do you really change when you remove the catalytic converter and the stock muffler box full fo baffels and chambers? Is the ECU (or computer) on a modern Yamaha 2-3 cylinder bike so dumb that it can not adapt to changing conditions? the cat has absolutely no impact on the way the ECU sends signals to the engine fuel system, air intake, or modifies exhaust pressures. The ECU (electronic control unit) performance concerns work to set a proper or 'ideal' air to fuel ratio based on engine load, rpm's, engine temp, etc. Just look at how the ECU on a modern day automobile engine works and importantly, what it does and does not do. Folks DO flash automobile ECU's, but often it affects when the transmission gear shifts are made based on rpms and speed limits.

PLease bear in mind, I am simply asking myself these questions. When a moto rider is asked to spend $1000.oo or so on an aftermarket exhaust system that sounds good, but only produces +2.-2.5 % more horsepower and torgue for the moto engine, that is a lot of money for good sound and virtually no performance gain. I wonder if the electronic fuel and performance "commanders" are just another high priced kismo that really don't add much to the overall MEASURED performance increase for the modern motorcycle they are installed on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, please excuse me if I am misunderstanding something in my question, kind of new to tuning concepts...

That said, I am wondering what is the cheapest way for me to set up my bike to be fuelling properly with Akrapovic Titanium with no baffle or cat installed?

I know one option is to get a Power Commander, but they are £££ for me at the moment. Is it possible that people have this map available for the ECU with this setup and I could just copy that and get it flashed onto mine, no dyno/PC required?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noggie

A modern engine controller (ECU) is a sophisticated computer programmed with a mediocre program with clear limits.
The engine map running on any bike or car is designed to be able to run on anything from crappy dirty "jungle fuel", high sulfur US fuel and premium refined European fuel, and everything in between.
There is therefore a huge potential to unlock more power by effectively tuning the engine to its peak performance using premium high octane fuel, though that does mean that you should only run that type of fuel.

An engine is using the O2 sensor to attempt to keep the Air/Fuel ratio at 14,7 or stoichiometric. (lower is rich, higher is lean) The O2 sensor (also called Lambda) is constantly adjusting the fuel thus causing a sinus effect, an o2 reading will therefore be constantly fluctuating between two values (i.e -1 to 1 where zero is the base map). this is to attempt to keep the engine running stoichiometric, however it's adjustment range is limited and based around the base map.
By adding a free flow exhaust and air filter you will let in more air, and have less restriction on the exhaust, thus making the engine run leaner, and the O2 sensor does not have the range to fully compensate for this.
To fix it you need to get a new custom base map done based on your engine, this will then allow the O2 sensor and ECU to correctly control the Air/Fuel ratio.
Running lean will cause excess wear and potentially damage your engine, while running efficient (MPG).
Running rich could give you more power, a cooler combustion but runs less efficient (MPG).
Best performance is usually found with an Air/Fuel ratio around 12,7.

e4xit

Nice reply Noggie! I have only exhaust (for noise, not power!) but I have been running baffle out for 4K miles now. Engine seems great still, but it's this "potential damage" that I a, wanting to cover...