Fuel Type in Canada for FZ-07

Kipawa

So I believe the bike is good with regular unleaded but what about the ethanol in it and the moisture uptake from it? I hear Shell has no ethanol is that still true? I know I am told to run premium in my outboard boat motor so it avoids the water uptake in the fuel. Should I start with premium right away in the bike? Yes more expensive but I want to keep this bike a long time and make it last and with bike mileage figures not a big hit like with premium in the car!

All opinions wanted!

D

Deleted member 20

Reading my MT-07 handbook:
RON 95 or higher. Gasohol containing ethanol can be used if content does not exceed 10% (E10). Gasohol containing methanol is not recommended.

In Sweden RON 95 with 5% ethanol has been standard for many years, now to be replaced by E10 (already or very soon).

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil_B

Well; I don't think ethanol is as bigger issue for seals in modern bikes. I guess it depends how much you have in fuel in Canada? Long term storage is perhaps another issue for moisture as you say.

From a UK perspective I've found Shells better "super" fuel (99 English Ron) to be the smoothest. It didn't like 95 "premium" as much.

I spend so little on fuel compared to the car it certainly doesn't worry me about the cost difference.

Guru Woodman

If you use an engine on a regular basis I think regular will do just fine. You get problems with ethanol when storing it. It attracts moisture that will gum up you fuel system. That can be solved with some fuel stabilizer. The added ethanol also have less energy so your power goes down and fuel consumption goes up. I have tried Shell V-Power in the past and I have to say it is the best fuel I've found so far. I can't say that I can feel any power increase, but I did get better mileage after using it for a while.
My friend has a marina and has seen many problems with outboard engines. Carbs and fuel tanks turn slimy green inside and the fuel smells nasty.

Kipawa

So some comments to the comments:

Agree I believe the newer vehicles are using better seals etc to combat this problem and have not really heard of any serious problems except in outboard motors that only operate typically only occasionally and sit around a lot. My marina says all the same thing too.

Also agree if you run fuel through more often and then just use stabilizer in the winter should be OK .

Shell V-Power typically contains no ethanol from what I have been able to read (though it is the internet!!) so that is the obvious choice to go with if any concern and should explain the better results. However when you read the V Power corporate website I saw no mention of it being ethanol free. Supposed to look for the stickers.I typically go to ESSO and it says right in there site that ethanol blended gases are available, no word about ethanol free gas.

Unfortunately the whole thing is a bit of a government conspiracy to get more ethanol in where many of us would rather go the other way! LOL

Interesting site I have found on line looking this up about pure-gas.org

Guru Woodman

Yes! It's a conspiracy ! Good thing we are able to vote next week lol.

My friends marina is listed on the site you mention. He serves ethanol free gas.

Feliz

All our pumps are marked with the ethanol content here in BC, I use Shell 91in all my bikes as it's the only ethanol free fuel I'm aware of. I have several vintage bikes so it's a concern.

Dede

Historic Vehicles Association has an online map that shows ethanol-free gas stations... Rule of thumb is to read the label on the pumps, and usually safer to go for the premium blends for those last, pre-winter fill-ups?

Northeast