Got to ride my dream bike

TheFakeAssassin

A stroke of luck and right place at the right time really.
I was riding my 125 scooter yesterday, I don't have my full bike license yet.
Anyway, I left work to ride to a customers house and realised I was being followed by a riding school. Maybe it was a subconscious reaction but I was riding on best behaviour mode tho I was riding like I normally do and the riders followed me everywhere I went. Didn't think much of it until I pulled over at the customers house and the instructor signalled to follow them. I signalled back 1 min and went into the customers house, finished the job in 1min dead and then went to catch up with the group who had pulled into a car park to practice some manoeuvres.
The instructor set the guys off with a route to practice and said the reason he asked me to follow was because he wanted to commend my riding.
The guys he was teaching were first timers on 600cc and he told them to do all the mirror checks and lifesavers I was doing.
He said most scooter/ moped riders around here are assholes who endanger other people and it was refreshing to see one using the roads correctly.
I thanked him and explained I'm saving up to get my full license this year and that I wanted an MT-07 as my first big bike.
He said would you like to try one?
Of course!
There's one over there, have a go if you like.
(OMG OMG OMG what if I fuck up!)
Ok then, that would be awesome.

After a brief checklist of things to be aware of, he let me loose in the car park and I managed about 4 laps, didn't stall, didn't loose control etc, pulled up and said I don't want to give this back now.

Went back to work with an ear to ear grin. (Yep that's right, I just got paid for all that too!)

Eddieh93

They are great bikes!

I remember when I had a moped I was a right c**t. Didn't care for other road users as I used to get passed all the time on my 50cc so just give up caring, when you get a proper bike you realize that you need to be careful of mostly what other people are doing as well as your own riding.

I remember thinking the same when practising for my test on a MT-07 as well funnily enough, but you quickly get used to it, I'm assuming you will be restricted? If you are my guess was it was a restricted version as they are so easily restricted for schools to have a bike compliant with the new rules.

You wait until you ride one without the restrictor!

TheFakeAssassin

I never asked, but it would make sense. I'm 33 so can go straight on to direct access so once I pass I'll be able to get straight on the unrestricted one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheFakeAssassin

Glad to hear someone else started on a ped. Everyone on YouTube seems to have got straight on the geared bikes and progressed with age or straight on a 600 so there's not many people to get feedback from their experience.

Eddieh93

Been riding since I was 16 so nearly 7 years now on the road, ridden motocross since I was young, I had a moped for a year then had a Yamaha YZF-R125 as I got a good job, then brought the MT-07 last year.

Simoncrp

Glad to hear someone else started on a ped. Everyone on YouTube seems to have got straight on the geared bikes and progressed with age or straight on a 600 so there's not many people to get feedback from their experience.

I rode a moped for 12 years until i got knocked off. The bike was a write off so i bought an MT07 and haven't looked back since!

triple trouble

I rode a 50 for 6 months back in the day..
I bought a gixxer 750 and booked my das. The day I passed I rode to the dealers and picked up my new bike. I loved my 50 though lol. We de-restricted it, put bigger jets in the carbs and lightened rollers. It did 65 lol. Every time I got on it I thought it was gonna blow up haha.

Noggie

I had a Suzuki Ts-x 50cc back in the early 90's. I put on. 66cc kit and managed to do about 100kp/h.
Not legal, but a lot of fun.

sdrio

Hah. I had a fizzie. I did nothing to it, and it would do about 30mph.

About the time I took my test, there was a loophole in the licensing laws that allowed a rider to ride a bike of any size, on L plates, if it had a sidecar fitted. This led to something called a sidewinder. It was a plastic tray on a wheel that still allowed the bike to lean.

The pic below looks like a 500cc machine, but I do remember some 17 year old notoriously attached one to a GSX-R 1100, and rode that on L plates.

sidewinder.jpg

Jonindorset

Many schools have far more unrestricted bikes than restricted ones as far more people are doing the full DAS at 24+. I'd be surprised if it was a restricted one

Eddieh93

Oh I'm not saying that they will have less unrestricted bike I was just saying the MT-07 is one of the better learner bigger bikes, but they are easily restricted and for free from the factory, it makes sense for them to use these bike for that reason.

I know 2 schools who have restricted MT-07's. This is perfect bike for this test age range.