Hand guards

Ady

With my first winter on 2 wheels approaching I'm already discovering the 'pleasure' of cold hands!
How much difference will hand guards make and does anyone have any links to any?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

sdrio

With my first winter on 2 wheels approaching I'm already discovering the 'pleasure' of cold hands!
How much difference will hand guards make and does anyone have any links to any?

Do you mean the plastic shields that motocrossers use, or handlebar muffs?

I use a combination of muffs + heated grips, which works pretty well. They keep the wind off, which makes a big difference. Also keep your gloves dry in the rain.

The problem is they look pretty unstylish. You have to choose between small ones, which can make operating indicators etc a bit of a fiddle, or big ones which look like ass.

I bought small and got the seams over the controls extended, but they're still not exactly rock and roll. Warm hands though . . .

Ady

Not sure I care about style too much when riding to work in the dark and coming home in the dark!
But I was thinking more about shields as they seem less restrictive, and will hopefully keep the worst of the wind and rain off some heated gloves.

Scim77

After liking the guards that and30ers had fitted, I have just fitted a pair of Acerbis Vison guards. The Acerbis handguards are not cheap. You can source "Chinese" guards for much less money on Ebay, but the Acerbis are well designed and made from quality materials.

VISON - 0017044.030 | Acerbis

I wanted the switchable LED light option and a guard which gave decent area coverage to shield my hands. They definitely help in breaking the worst excesses of wind to the backs of my hands but I don't think that they are as effective as full muffs. But they look better and give you more freedom to move your hands.

My guards in conjunction with Oxford Sport heated grips have been of huge benefit, but mainly due to the heated grips.

Last edited:

Ady

Do you use battery or wired gloves?
I'm tempted by the battery powered gloves as I'm not a huge fan of electrics or the idea of being attached by wires to the bike.

bhd

I have a pair of these - Gerbing G-12 Gloves Heated WP - Black - which have seen me through a couple of winters. It is a bit of a faff plugging yourself in before you move off in the morning, and having the gloves wired in like a toddler's idiot mittens isn't a good look, but I'm happy to put up with the inconvenience for the security of knowing that warm-fingered relief* is only a flick of a switch away!

If I were buying again I'd go for more of a gauntlet shape, as my jacket cuffs only just stuff inside the gloves.

*heh!

sdrio

I have a pair of these - Gerbing G-12 Gloves Heated WP - Black - which have seen me through a couple of winters. It is a bit of a faff plugging yourself in before you move off in the morning, and having the gloves wired in like a toddler's idiot mittens isn't a good look, but I'm happy to put up with the inconvenience for the security of knowing that warm-fingered relief* is only a flick of a switch away!

If I were buying again I'd go for more of a gauntlet shape, as my jacket cuffs only just stuff inside the gloves.

*heh!
Do they have heat on the backs of the hands?

The problem with heated grips, even if you have mufflers etc, are that they only heat the inside of your hand. The back can get just as cold as without the heat.

The only heated gloves I ever tried were only heated in the palm, and didn't work very well anyway.

D

Deleted member 20

Guys, in how cold wether are you riding? Below freezing I don't have problem with rain, it's called snow. A pair of waterproof and protective winter gloves and heated grips is all I ever need, on very long rides I use powerstretch gloves inside my Richa winter gloves. Then I stop for hot coffee every 1½ hour or so. Hugging the motor that is all warm and cosy.

robodene

I think a second pair of gloves is good. Mine were bought at a garden centre and are also own- battery heated.

Ady

This morning it was 3°c and my cheap gloves after 40 mins failed to keep the heat in as soon as it became foggy.
So time to invest before it gets colder.

bhd

Yes, exactly that, the elements run on the backs of your hands along the fingers.
I haven't used heated grips, or battery-powered gloves so can't say how they compare, only that I couldn't make it through winter without them.

bhd

Guys, in how cold wether are you riding? Below freezing I don't have problem with rain, it's called snow. A pair of waterproof and protective winter gloves and heated grips is all I ever need.
I saw 4 degrees briefly this morning, and that was the first coldish day of the year so far, I don't actually know how low it gets as I've never had a thermometer on a bike before! This winter will be an education! Agree, it's rarely both cold and wet, so I have heated gloves for the cold & waterproof for the rain.

dbd32

hand guards

I have Givi handguards for my MT07 and they are brilliant. I got them from carpimoto Italy for £70 with post next day delivery YES next day delivery
Ebay want £99
I also got the Givi short screen from them
Great service
With my Oxford sports heated grips hands are like toast

Ady

Bought the rst battery heated gloves yesterday, will update their effectiveness after a cold morning.
On the plus side they're heated top of hands down to the finger tips, just where you need it hot.