hello all, and a bit of help please

stepmeek

Hi everyone. Thought I would introduce myself instead of just lurking for a while.

I am in sunny Scotland and have wanted a bike for a while, but only recently have I been able to justify the cost to my other half, result! I have done my CBT, have my theory booked for next month and after that I will get a direct access course booked when I am off work in August. I have read great reviews about the MT-07 and it looks reasonable for a first bike, I hope anyway? I am considering going to put a deposit on the bike to motivate myself but we will see.

One question I have is about the size of the bike, specifically the width of the bars? I have a new house with no garage so I plan on building a small bike store to attach to my garden wall but have no idea what kind of width I will need to get the bike in. Any help would be appreciated if someone could measure the width of their bars for me.

Cheers everyone, Stephen,

Will145

Welcome to the forum Stephen. I am at work at the moment otherwise id measure the width for you but I am sure someone will be along shortly with a definitive answer!

Gaz2212

Hi Stephen,

Just measured across handlebars for you, bar end to bar end is 735mm this is the widest measurement on the bike

Cheers and good luck with your test

Gaz

P

Peter

I don't recommend you to build too small garage for the bike. What is if you change your bike to a bigger one?
1 meter door width and 2.5 meter length shall be OK for almost all bikes.

sdrio

Remember mirrors too, bearing in mind there's no centre stand, they stick out further than the bars at an angle. They're easy enough to fold in on the MT07, but if you don;t want to have to do that, you need even more room.

I keep mine in the alley that runs down the side of my house. That's a least 1m wide, and it's just about big enough for me to park the bike and get off the side of it. Just.

I think you need absolute minimum 100cm, probably better 120+.

badger27

Good luck with your theory.i love my Mt truly is a great first bike ..... Idid the same as you and bought it before a passed

Kanonnier

I also think you shouldn't go smaller than 1,2m. I am an architect and I wouldn't feel comfortable with drawing a 1m wide bike garage for any client. What if you decide to get a GS1200 Adventure in years time? I would suggest you make it 1,5m wide. That will give you enough room for future upgrades & ample space to store some of you bike's maintenance stuff.
Hope that helps.

sdrio

This might help.

Photo of mine, parked at the side of the house. The mirror is about 1cm from the wall, so it's as far as it will go without folding the mirror.

The measurement between the tips of the mirrors is 86cm.

The alley is 110cm wall to wall. I can move the bike without sitting on it, but it's a bit tight. You'd get away with 110cm though, but if you have more room, use it. The gate I go through is 95cm, I have to be sitting on the bike to get through, or risk dropping it.

mt07-alley.jpg

Rouqui

definitely put a piece of wood under the propstand, it relieves the uneven pressure on the fork seals. if the door is narrow you can get one end of the handlebars through then the other, that's what I do. you will need a slope to the ground too.

Last edited:

stepmeek

Very helpful mate, thank you. I have a small garden with a space between my shed and a solid wall which looks like it will be just about big enough, doesn't look any smaller than your space sdrio. This might be a stupid question, but do I need space to actually get off the bike. Can i not just wheel the bike in backwards and then pull it out forwards? I will have a proper measurement tomorrow but I think it will just be manageable.

As for the possibility of another bike, well yes I might want to get a biker bike, but then I will need a new house! I only have this possible space so I have no option unless I keep the bike outside.

Bagder: thanks mate, very tempted to go in and commit to the bike but just about to start a new job so will wait until I feel comfortable financially, I will have it soon hopefully though.

Thanks everyone for the responses, very helpful forum. And can everyone keep uploading pictures as it keeps me motivated

This might help.

Photo of mine, parked at the side of the house. The mirror is about 1cm from the wall, so it's as far as it will go without folding the mirror.

The measurement between the tips of the mirrors is 86cm.

The alley is 110cm wall to wall. I can move the bike without sitting on it, but it's a bit tight. You'd get away with 110cm though, but if you have more room, use it. The gate I go through is 95cm, I have to be sitting on the bike to get through, or risk dropping it.

View attachment 426

sdrio

Yeah, it's not that difficult to move it about in that much space, you'll manage.

At worst you'll have to push the mirror in a bit, but that's not a biggie, they move without needing any unscrewing, you just pull it back out afterwards.

I'm sure you'd get used to it pretty quickly.

Book it before she changes her mind :D