Is the FZ-07 buzzy?

William

That's one of the reasons I don't like my Kawasaki 650R. I don't like how the fairing buzzes. I've fixed it myself, I've had it to shops, but the buzz always comes back. Is the FZ-07 buzzy? Thank you.

Phil_B

Having looked a lots of videos of Kawasaki Er6F's as they're called in Europe (the faired ninja 650), I'd say that the definite resonating buzz you get in the fairing isn't there with the MT, perhaps because it's naked.

As twins go I think it's quite smooth (including compared to a kawa 650 i had a go on when looking at bikes) but I've not done lots of long journeys and don't rev it past 7k often as there seems little need.

It'll never be a smooth as a well balanced inline 4 or triple though.

sdrio

No buzz whatsoever from mine. Seems to be well screwed together.

As Phil_b points out, there's not much there to vibrate, but even so, what there is is solid.

Only vibration issue I have noticed is that my hands felt a little numb after a long high speed run (60 miles at around 80mph), just for a minute or two, but that's pretty normal I think.

Ralph

The Kwaka 650 does feel rev'y much more so than the MT
that feels more like a V-twin, a much more relaxed feel to the engine.

William

No buzz whatsoever from mine. Seems to be well screwed together.

As Phil_b points out, there's not much there to vibrate, but even so, what there is is solid.

Only vibration issue I have noticed is that my hands felt a little numb after a long high speed run (60 miles at around 80mph), just for a minute or two, but that's pretty normal I think.
Hi sdrio,

As you said, you drove the FZ-07 for 60 miles at 80 mph. Was turbulence thrashing you around at that speed? Do you think the design of the bike cuts through the turbulence well? Thanks.

AJ Nin

I owned a 2012 Ninja 650r after the last makeover and now own an FZ-07. The bikes feel and handle similar, but you will notice less vibration from the FZ/MT-07. It starts out with less buzz. The turn signals and license bracket would vibrate on my 650r just idling. The buzz does creep in a higher speeds with the FZ-07, but it is not as noticeable as with the Ninja 650r. The main thing I did not like about the 650r was that it felt a little top heavy and boat-like. Once underway it was OK, but I thought it was over-weight. The Yamaha is at least 40 lbs. lighter...maybe as much as 60 lbs. lighter. I see conflicting info on the curb weight of the Ninja 650r. Your buzz will be less with the FZ/MT-07, but these bikes are not smooth like the super sports with 4 cylinders.

Last edited:

Lexington Stanway

Not Buzzy. The 'cross plane' crank or whatever it is, basically the crank offset makes the engine really feel a lot like a real V-twin. So there are certainly vibes, but no buzz. I tested the ER6n And though the latest one really insulates you from the buzz well, it's still there. The MT doesn't protect you from the then engine vibrations nearly as well, but those vibrations are much much less annoying.

It suspect pillions may spontaneously orgasm, but in the driving seat it's all good.

dazzor

They're both twins, they vibrate like twins tend to....in varying degrees.

If eliminating that is more important than a nice flat torque curve that equates to useful power delivery then buy an inline 4 that needs it's neck ringing to make decent power...and spend more time and money in petrol stations.

Last edited:

William

I owned a 2012 Ninja 650r after the last makeover and now own an FZ-07. The bikes feel and handle similar, but you will notice less vibration from the FZ/MT-07. It starts out with less buzz. The turn signals and license bracket would vibrate on my 650r just idling. The buzz does creep in a higher speeds with the FZ-07, but it is not as noticeable as with the Ninja 650r. The main thing I did not like about the 650r was that it felt a little top heavy and boat-like. Once underway it was OK, but I thought it was over-weight. The Yamaha is at least 40 lbs. lighter...maybe as much as 60 lbs. lighter. I see conflicting info on the curb weight of the Ninja 650r. Your buzz will be less with the FZ/MT-07, but these bikes are not smooth like the super sports with 4 cylinders.
It's nice to hear that the FZ-07 is up to 60 lbs. lighter than the 2012 650R. Do you feel the FZ-07 has better performance than your 2012 650R?

sdrio

Hi sdrio,

As you said, you drove the FZ-07 for 60 miles at 80 mph. Was turbulence thrashing you around at that speed? Do you think the design of the bike cuts through the turbulence well? Thanks.
Well, given the nature of the bike, you're always going to get a bit of buffeting, but it wasn't unrideable.

There's a fairly hefty thread on here about screens, looks like they do improve things. I rarely do motorway riding, so I don;t really need one.

To be honest the saddle is a much bigger problem than the wind, on long runs. Your arse will surrender long before the wind makes you stop.