Is the MT your only bike?

Phil_B

As the title really, is the MT your only bike or does it form part of a garage of bikes that you have for different occaisions or types of ride?

Perhaps more to the point; what do you mainly expect from it. A commuter, weekend fun, an affordable touring option? All of the above??

sdrio

I have a 2013 Aprilia 125 scooter as well.

I had an MT03 stolen last year, bought the scooter as a replacement, but found it was too small/slow, so bought the MT07.

I use the scooter once a week or so, just to keep it functioning. It's good to have a spare, as I commute and the journey on public transport is a nightmare.

dazzor

Still waiting for my MT, sold my XJ6N a month ago but still have and will always try to keep running my trusty old NTV650 96 REG.

she's got 77k on the clock, is tatty but I love her. Great spare and no hardship at all using her as my main ride until the MT arrives.

19 litre tank, easily does over 200 miles on a single tank, and that's doing a traffic-laden commute of 180 miles a week.

Shaft drive; so no p1ssing about with a chain....have I mentioned I love my NTV?

If Honda made a modern version with more grunt and less weight (I know shaft-drive makes it heavier but it could still be lighter) I'd be on it.

Lexington Stanway

My only working bike. I have a broken SV650. For me it's the 'normal' mode of transport for work or anything else. I spent about 20 mins working out how I was going to collect a large pizza I'd ordered before remembering I owned a car the other day.

I would definatley have a sports bike for entertainment and track days if I was a millionaire. Actually I'd spend all the money on saucy staff, but if I could buy them all matching bikes as well and have saucy track days I'd do that.

Amy way I commute about 90 miles per day and I use it for any other running about I have to do. It's a practical traffic proof commuter for me. I wouldn't tour on it, but I might take it (from England) to Amsterdam this year.

Nuggets

I have a Suzuki gn 125 x, 1999 it has 39k miles and i purchased it from a fen boy for £500 despite its many faults it was a great little bike to get me through mod 2 (and my mate through his too) I've spent many an evening riding round Ely practising and it paid off.

Now i've stripped it, degreased it, rust cured it, buffed out the corrosion on the forks and dial housings, stripped and regreased all the bearings and swing arm, new sprocket and chain set, new clutch, new carb, new ht coil, re-oiled front forks, and generally given it a bit of tlc all for about £100 of parts, I'm going to try and sell it. If you know anyone who wants a cheaps runner with MOT to Feb and Tax until April and rock bottom insurance (£68 per year for me) then pass me their details i want it to go to a good home, I'm not sentimental but I've grown a little attached to it. Common sense says it has to go to make room for the MT.

no. i have a cb 500 which has over 200,000 miles on it and still passes the mot. its been down the road more times than i can remember but it still goes and goes.its been raced, crashed, rebuilt and even run with no engine oil in it but the thing refuses to die. had it since 1999 and only honda parts to fail have been rectifiers and the exhaust system.
past bikes include a vfr 400 which handled like it was on rails. I had yoshimura gsxr 1000 which cost 20k and had 205 bhp. was too dangerous on the road as has nearly 120 in first,weighed only 160kg but on the track was so fast my vision would blur and regulary i would bite my tongue and gums during the braking. speeds over 200mph were so easy but killing if not fit to hold on to it. a real eye opener was on a track day when i thought i was going fast. then a factory rider asked if he could have a go and was 5 seconds faster!
bummed around on a burgman 400 in winter snow etc. but when it came to a new bike i wanted the Mt after a track day. was going to get the 09 but the fueling put me off and the 07 i can insure for only £99 a year so it was the one to go for.

Last edited:

dazzor

no. i have a cb 500 which has over 200,000 miles on it and still passes the mot. its been down the road more times than i can remember but it still goes and goes.its been raced, crashed, rebuilt and even run with no engine oil in it but the thing refuses to die. had it since 1999 and only honda parts to fail have been rectifiers and the exhaust system.
past bikes include a vfr 400 which handled like it was on rails. I had yoshimura gsxr 1000 which cost 20k and had 205 bhp. was too dangerous on the road as has nearly 120 in first,weighed only 160kg but on the track was so fast my vision would blur and regulary i would bite my tongue and gums during the braking. speeds over 200mph were so easy but killing if not fit to hold on to it. a real eye opener was on a track day when i thought i was going fast. then a factory rider asked if he could have a go and was 5 seconds faster!
bummed around on a burgman 400 in winter snow etc. but when it came to a new bike i wanted the Mt after a track day. was going to get the 09 but the fueling put me off and the 07 i can insure for only £99 a year so it was the one to go for.
Wow, that Yoshi Gixer sounds totally awesome; was it tweaked even more beyond Yoshi's spec? I ask as the specs on the 2013 model don't quite make the numbers you're quoting. Like the wet weight is 205kg, top speed 187mph

Either way, what a bike. A bog standard 929 Fireblade is the closest I've come....so no where near in reality. Lol.

Last edited:

rappetor

Here the MT-07 will share the garage with my Kawasai GPZ500S (which has been my second bike for years now). However, the GPZ is for sale and the next bike (next to the MT-07) will be one for the missus. Because by then she will also have her motorcycle licence :)

Pbanks5

I have a Harley 48 and a Ducati Monster and I'm thinking of adding an 07 or an 09 to mix in coming months. I was set on the 09, but the reviews are saying the 07 is the better bike and the price is awesome. More than likely I will sell one of my current bikes because having 3 bikes is going to throw my wife over the edge.

Wow, that Yoshi Gixer sounds totally awesome; was it tweaked even more beyond Yoshi's spec? I ask as the specs on the 2013 model don't quite make the numbers you're quoting. Like the wet weight is 205kg, top speed 187mph

Either way, what a bike. A bog standard 929 Fireblade is the closest I've come....so no where near in reality. Lol.
in the uk crescent did a bsb spec version but it was heavier due to the double sided exhaust system the K7 had. in the US the bike was develop to race in the ama series and before you bought it they were speed tested at places like talladega and daytona.Yoshimura version had a single short exhaust with no cat which took over 15 kg off the bike. on the road is was a nightmare emptied a tank of gas in about 60-70 miles and i had to replace the rear tyre in about 200-300 miles.in the uk they were about 22K to buy and had 205 bhp.
but if you think thats a lot the new yamaha R1 R series bike will have close to 230 bhp as yamaha are making two versions of the R1 for the public available soon.

but on the road if im being honest. you could ride a 600cc bike and be quicker than the boys on the 1000s.

Last edited:

dazzor

in the uk crescent did a bsb spec version but it was heavier due to the double sided exhaust system the K7 had. in the US the bike was develop to race in the ama series and before you bought it they were speed tested at places like talladega and daytona.Yoshimura version had a single short exhaust with no cat which took over 15 kg off the bike. on the road is was a nightmare emptied a tank of gas in about 60-70 miles and i had to replace the rear tyre in about 200-300 miles.in the uk they were about 22K to buy and had 205 bhp.
but if you think thats a lot the new yamaha R1 R series bike will have close to 230 bhp as yamaha are making two versions of the R1 for the public available soon.

but on the road if im being honest. you could ride a 600cc bike and be quicker than the boys on the 1000s.
That's just fascinating, thanks for that.

I know what you mean about too much power on the road in a much lesser sense. I had a street triple r for while. So only 100bhp but light and agile. I found I was doing things I'd not feel comfortable on the blade or even the SuperDuke I had.... Although that too was a great bike for me.

Whilst I'm in awe of the bikes you mention, I couldn't live with them for too long, haha.

Guess that's why we're onto this brilliant little bike :)

Last edited:

DJP

The MT's my only bike. I do a relatively low annual mileage (about 4,000) and if I had more than one then, individually, they wouldn't do enough miles to justify the tax and insurance.

Saying that, I do a fair bit of push biking, and I also own a car, so the MT's not my only form of transport.

busey

Own a BSA Bantam 1968 stripped it down in the middle of putting it back together don't know how much I will use it just a pastime hobby like to escape to the garage :)

That's just fascinating, thanks for that.

I know what you mean about too much power on the road in a much lesser sense. I had a street triple r for while. So only 100bhp but light and agile. I found I was doing things I'd not feel comfortable on the blade or even the SuperDuke I had.... Although that too was a great bike for me.

Whilst I'm in awe of the bikes you mention, I couldn't live with them for too long, haha.

Guess that's why we're onto this brilliant little bike :)
the fact was the bike hated sitting in traffic and you could reach just around 120 mph in first and with clutchless shifts up and down you could pin the throttle back and hold on for dear life.you had no traction control or abs so it was a real handful and only for the track.
it was a poor mans race bike so you could get on the track and compete at a reasonable level if you were fit enough. jap manufactors are starting to make these sort of bikes again from next year as the 186 mph agreement has been broken.