K&N Air Filter

Skinnerguy

Hey guys, after a few months of checking the website to see if they'd designed one yet, I finally bought a high efficiency air filter from K&N. As far as I've gathered here in Australia K&N are considered the best brand for performance filters, so I held off the DNA one. But, just installed it, the bike runs nicer, I think there could be a bit more pickup but I don't know whether the impact would be bigger with the stock exhaust (I run the Akrapovic with no baffle), and the sound is... No louder (thank goodness, it's monstrous enough as it is) but I think the tone is a bit more aggressive, which is fine by me. But now that the exhaust and filter are installed, that's about it for me for power mods, I'm not really interested in the whole power commander thing. So yeah, the K&N filter is mad, as far as I know they don't have a stage 2 or a filter cover replacement as I know DNA do, but I would definitely recommend installing just the air filter. I haven't exactly put it through its paces since installing it, but I'm keen to see how else it affects the ride, and the fuel efficiency...
But yeah, thought I'd post seeing as I haven't seen any other reviews on the K&N one yet, just plenty on the DNA. In my opinion however, K&N's a go!
image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpg

Nuggets

Hey guys, after a few months of checking the website to see if they'd designed one yet, I finally bought a high efficiency air filter from K&N. As far as I've gathered here in Australia K&N are considered the best brand for performance filters, so I held off the DNA one. But, just installed it, the bike runs nicer, I think there could be a bit more pickup but I don't know whether the impact would be bigger with the stock exhaust (I run the Akrapovic with no baffle), and the sound is... No louder (thank goodness, it's monstrous enough as it is) but I think the tone is a bit more aggressive, which is fine by me. But now that the exhaust and filter are installed, that's about it for me for power mods, I'm not really interested in the whole power commander thing. So yeah, the K&N filter is mad, as far as I know they don't have a stage 2 or a filter cover replacement as I know DNA do, but I would definitely recommend installing just the air filter. I haven't exactly put it through its paces since installing it, but I'm keen to see how else it affects the ride, and the fuel efficiency...
But yeah, thought I'd post seeing as I haven't seen any other reviews on the K&N one yet, just plenty on the DNA. In my opinion however, K&N's a go!
View attachment 1927View attachment 1928View attachment 1929
Skinner,

I fitted the DNA stage 1 filter late last year and for me there is a noticeable improvement in the roll acceleration and from 50mph+ (or whatever that is in klicks) I think it really now pulls like an absolute train, there is also a lovely induction noise which just adds to the drama of a good thrash.

I can't imagine there are massive differences in the spec or design between the DNA or K&N filters, after all how many ways can you make a washable hi flow oil treated air filter in the same shape to fit the air box?

Had K&N been available in the UK last year I think I would have purchased one just because I know the brand name rather than any spec difference.

Like you I don't see the merit in a stage 2 someone on youtube has already pioneered the stage 2 and power commander, I cant say I'm sold on the results to the extent I'd run our and spend the money squeezing that little bit extra out of the bike. like you I'm settled on the air filter and exhaust upgrades.

[video=youtube;gGelXHY_Jtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGelXHY_Jtw#t=271[/video]

ride safe

Skinnerguy

Hey Nuggets,
Yeah I agree, it seems to be a whole lot of money for very little gains...
I guess the main reason I was keen for K&N specifically was that everyone I know that has one swears by it, and I'd never really heard of DNA before.
I will agree with you though, I doubt there's all that much difference between the two.
I'm just happy to have that bit of extra grunt/noise/fuel economy (hopefully).
Have you noticed much of a difference in fuel consumption since you installed the DNA?

Nuggets

Hey Nuggets,
Yeah I agree, it seems to be a whole lot of money for very little gains...
I guess the main reason I was keen for K&N specifically was that everyone I know that has one swears by it, and I'd never really heard of DNA before.
I will agree with you though, I doubt there's all that much difference between the two.
I'm just happy to have that bit of extra grunt/noise/fuel economy (hopefully).
Have you noticed much of a difference in fuel consumption since you installed the DNA?
Yep,

My fuel consumption gone down, but that's because I'm enjoying myself and riding it like it's stolen!