Masters of Torque

Scim77

Does anyone know if the MT-07 is a desaxe design, like the MT-09? Most car and bike engines use desaxe to some degree, to improve torque and reduce internal stresses and friction. I have not found any Yamaha reference to it being used in the MT-07, although studying the workshop manual diagrams there does appear to be a cylinder bore mis-alignment with the crank pin.

This link shows the basic principle https://rideapart.com/articles/free-power-offset-cylinders-explained

In 1943 Phil Irving, who designed the HRD Vincent, calculated that a 76 degree crankshaft should also give the maximum torque with minimum imbalance for a twin cylinder engine. If the British motorcycle industry had heeded his words, we would not have wasted our time exploring the cul-de-sac of trying to balance the big parallel twins that Triumph, BSA and Norton were pursuing.

Last edited:

Scim77

does this answer your question?

View attachment 2440
Unfortunately not. But thanks for the great picture. We need to see a dimensioned engineering drawing, viewed from one end of the crankshaft looking axially along the crank towards the piston/cylinder/con-rod. If the MT-07 is a desaxe design, which I suspect it is, then when the main bearing, big-end and little-end are all in alignment, the conrod itself will be canted over slightly, to locate with the piston in the offset cylinder. Messy to describe but easy to figure from a drawing.
Yamaha make a marketing feature of this with their MT-09 three cylinder engine, since it is less common on multi-cylinder engines. It may be more commonplace on singles and twins, which is perhaps why Yamaha don't bother to mention it.
Engineering designers over a century ago knew about desaxe and used it in steam engines to improve torque and reduce friction. It is nice to see that we are still utilising this feature a hundred years later.
Maybe Yamaha will further improve torque by introducing a 76 degree crank in the next generation of engines :)

Last edited:

robodene

I am pretty sure it is desaxe layout. I'll see if I can find an article. PS. Cannot find a reference so I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Scim77

have you had a look at the service manual?
Yes. The only diagram I can find is in the "Lubrication System Chart & Diagrams" page 2-29. Unfortunately, it is not dimensioned. However, if you look very closely, the connecting rod does seem to be slightly off-centre in the cylinder bore when the gudgeon pin, big-end and main bearings are all in line.

Scim77

Thanks TJ63. I think you must be correct. In truth it would be almost inconceivable for the MT-07 not be Desaxe.

The over-centre advantages of Desaxe are too good for engine designers to ignore. As you point out, Hyundai have exploited it to the full in their i10. All interesting stuff!

KEVINJSTANLEY

bugger me there are clever people about, I would not care if there was a little pixie inside running on a cage ,all I care about is it starts and makes me smile. but fair do's no knocking your mechanical experience :)