Missing gear

Paulmt07

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to biking and have no knowledge to fall back on so apologies if this is a normal occurrence. I have started to find that when changing up the gears, when changing from 3rd to 4th, I occasionally get nothing (the same as neutral). It was my understanding that this shouldn't be happening. Is this something I'm doing wrong or is this a problem with the bike? Thanks in advance.

tw586

this is normal for most bikes as you may not be fully engaging the next gear, if you see a - in the gear indicator you are between gears
just let the clutch out again and then change up or down to engage the gear, some older bike it is very common but you still may get it on newer ones.
I have notice it usually occurs on down shifting on my MT07 around 3rd so dont be alarmed, just be positive with the shift lever and you will have no hassles

Ralph

It usually happens when you fail to fully release the gear pedal between changes
it's very easy to keep your foot touching the pedal so it does not return fully
to it's rest position.

Paulmt07

Thanks guys. I was really worried that perhaps the gearbox or clutch might have been having a moment but it sounds more likely that it is just me. I was trying to pay attention to how I change gear today and I might not be moving my foot enough to complete the full movement when changing gear. I'm thinking perhaps I'm trying to change gear to quickly so will try and slow down the changes to see if it makes any difference :)

Also I don't see a - in the gear indicator, it is just blank. Probably doesn't make a difference but thought I should mention it.

Ralph

Mine seems to like faster changes but it is a good gear box, they
improve as they get run in, you may need to adjust the pedal so
you can get full movement both ways I always have problems changing
gear on any bike if I ware new boots, you have to move the pedal through
it's full movement and let it return all the way to it's rest position between
changes.

Phil_B

I'd definitely agree that mine is improving with time. Paul, have you checked your chain tension? Mine becomes difficult to change is the chain gets too loose. This happened in the first few hundred miles when new!

dfl05

I have had both of these issues. My bike is new less than 100k's. The fix for missing gear changes for me was to tighten the chain.
I still have the issue of the gears going MIA when I change down. Have noticed it is when going from 4th to 3rd mostly. I think as has been noticed that you can cause this by rolling along with the clutch pulled in. Consciously blipping and changing down forcefully each time seems to fix the issue. But sometimes I guess i get a bit lazy and forget to do it and then it happens again.

Ralph

Biggest improvement I have noticed is adjusting the gear pedal so you can get full movement
both ways and you are not touching it between changes adjust so it's roughly level with your
big toe when you are in the riding position, remember one of the adjusters is left hand thread so
don't go striping threads just back off the two lock nuts and turn the rod to adjust then re lock.