Moving instruments forward maintaining windscreen

sdrio

In my opinion that was a major factor when I was a child "look at that rear tyre listen to the sound" and to take that away would be criminal again in my opinion.

You're probably correct in your estimations.
Bike is plenty flick-able for anyone's road needs unless you're some sort of pro road racer, it has never crossed my mind that this tyre is far too wide.

I know the rear wheel is taken from the MT-09, but surely Yamaha has done their research and worked out that this tyre is just as good on the MT-07 as it is on the MT-09
The best bits about American chopper; 1. The office door being destroyed once per week. 2. The 300 sized rear tyres on the bikes.

Scim77

In my opinion that was a major factor when I was a child "look at that rear tyre listen to the sound" and to take that away would be criminal again in my opinion.

You're probably correct in your estimations.
Bike is plenty flick-able for anyone's road needs unless you're some sort of pro road racer, it has never crossed my mind that this tyre is far too wide.

I know the rear wheel is taken from the MT-09, but surely Yamaha has done their research and worked out that this tyre is just as good on the MT-07 as it is on the MT-09
I am sorry that we seem to have highjacked the thread (my fault). We should re-ignite the "Tyres" links!
Both you are sdrio prove my point. You like the look of the fat tyre. So do I. But on the 07 they are the equivalent of "Go-faster" stripes on a car or twin 'dummy' exhaust pipes. The 09 might be better able to exploit the load/power potential of a 180 rear tyre but the 07 cannot, but it LOOKS like it can. The 180 has a bigger footprint IF the bike is heavy enough and has enough grunt. The 07 has neither. Look at the sizes that other manufacturers use for bikes with similar power to the 07 and often more weight. You will see 160.60.17 is a common choice. Big footprints actually work against grip when driving in the wet.
Hey! Its no big deal. I hack around with total confidence on my 07 ( despite it's crazy rear tyre :p ) and enjoy every ride, but I know that it could be just that little bit better.
I hereby volunteer to be the Guinea Pig for the 170.60.17, even though it won't improve the appearance :D

mejson

Gr8 stuff, need to recon my little windscreen's space for instruments and try to move them there too...
Thanks for idea ;)

sdrio

I am sorry that we seem to have highjacked the thread (my fault). We should re-ignite the "Tyres" links!
Both you are sdrio prove my point. You like the look of the fat tyre. So do I. But on the 07 they are the equivalent of "Go-faster" stripes on a car or twin 'dummy' exhaust pipes. The 09 might be better able to exploit the load/power potential of a 180 rear tyre but the 07 cannot, but it LOOKS like it can. The 180 has a bigger footprint IF the bike is heavy enough and has enough grunt. The 07 has neither. Look at the sizes that other manufacturers use for bikes with similar power to the 07 and often more weight. You will see 160.60.17 is a common choice. Big footprints actually work against grip when driving in the wet.
Hey! Its no big deal. I hack around with total confidence on my 07 ( despite it's crazy rear tyre :p ) and enjoy every ride, but I know that it could be just that little bit better.
I hereby volunteer to be the Guinea Pig for the 170.60.17, even though it won't improve the appearance :D
Took my R1 in this morning for a new rear tyre. Bloke says 'The last owner put a 180 on there, but it should be a 190. Do you want another 180, or should we go back to original?'.

I'm not even sure that's English. Of course I want a 190, unless you can fit a 350 instead.