mt07abs owners: comment the quality of the abs system

Irksome

The first time I got the front ABS on was going over some small raised kerbs as I exited a car park - wasn't too alarming. However the back ABS is very agricultural - I thought the brake pedal had hit the ground or something the first time it went off!

Irksome

Starting to get on my nerves actually ... yesterday the front ABS was kicking off just slowing down gently on a typically poorly surfaced London road.

Mike

Yes I can feel the ABS pulses through the pedal if I step on it hard, but I don't find it annoying or agricultural in any way. I thought it was supposed to work that way?

Dede

Gravel is one road surface where no ABS is likely better... locking the wheel will accumulate a bit of gravel ahead of the tyre and help stop the bike...

D

Deleted member 20

ABS is always better on asphalt, dry or wet, commuting or on track, given the ABS is adjustable for the different conditions, like what you have on recent Ducatis, MVs, KTMs and BMWs.
ABS is always better, even on gravel, given the ABS is calibrated for it, i.e. off-road-pro settings like what you have on 1200GS Adventure and 1190 Adventure R.

The MT-07 ABS is not adjustable in any shape or form, so it's calibrated for every day use and safety. There is no track-day or off-road ambitions here.

I have tested the MT-07 ABS on asphalt and it works great, for the every day riding I am doing.

I have tested the MT-07 ABS on gravel and it works great, for the every day riding I am doing. Not locking the front is a good thing on gravel, at least for me. Using rear brake only will of course lead to ABS working hard, no tail slides or effective stopping power. Using both front and rear brakes properly and at the same time, trying to stop the bike quickly and safely without front wheel sliding/crashing, works quite well. Given the limited gravel-gripping power of my Pilot Road 4 tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 20

In Sweden ABS has been defacto-standard on ALL bikes for the last 10 years or so. Non-ABS bikes are unsellable. Hopefully, other countries will get it soon, so rideds don't have to die when it could have been avoided by simple electronics that is readily available at very low cost.

Jon

Anders, do you have to fit winter tyres on bikes in Sweden like you do on cars? As you probably know, we in UK have no winter tyre law so very, very few cars have them, even up North where they are really needed. When you buy a new bike does it come with 2 sets of tyres?

D

Deleted member 20

To my knowledge there is no law mandating winter tires for scooters and bikes, only for passenger cars. Don't think busses/lorries/trucks are mandated to have specific winter tires, but there is an increase in min thread pattern for use on winter roads.

Non-studded winter tires (compound for cold temps and heavily siped) is hard to find (impossible?) for road bikes, but you can find it for scooters, tires like Michelin City Grip Winter or ContiMove365 M+S, available up to 16" (110/70-16 front and 140/70-16 rear). I'm not surprised if there will be proper winter tires available for 17" rims within a few years time.

The best 17" you can get for low temps but still road thread is probably the Pilot Road 4, claimed to have a compound that will stay soft down to -5° C. And yes, that is a very popular tire in Sweden!

Studded tires is available for all scooters and bikes, road- and off road in any rim size, mostly starting with tires like the TKC80 or similar.
And yes, people use studded tires on their Ducati Monsters and like, happily driving to work on snow and ice.

Not having proper winter tires for cars is pure stupidity, even if you never encounter below freezing point temps.
The compound of a for example the ContiWinterContact TS 800/810/830/850 is far superior to a ContiPremiumContact in both wet and dry, in temps below +5° C.
Personally I use even softer winter tires like the ContiVikingContact or Hakka R2, works excellent in dry/wet/snow/ice from +5° to -35° C.
Then some people (not me) don't feel safe without studs, and uses tires like the ContiIceContact or Hakka 8.
I don't think there is a need for studs ever, unless you race on ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

da1kini

Having ABS probably saved my life the first day riding. Was in progress of a safe take over with two cars in front on an open stretch. No crossings, sections or anything weird going on. When I am about to pass the first of the two cars (doing 130 km/h) the turd driving the car thinks its a good idea to initiate a take over himself. Without signal and obviously without a brain he starts to pull out in from of me. So when trying to come down from 130 km/h to 60 without ABS there would have been a lot harder not to say lethal.

And yes the ABS system works really well.

da1kini

I am now getting worried about buying the non-ABS version.... :( Don`t understand why we can`t get ABS in Canada.
Really not that big of a deal! Riding with ABS actually can make you feel overly comfortable with your brakes. Its only when u look tires its useful (duh?!)...But what I mean is planning your riding and always always think about what other in the traffic might do is the only way to never have to lock tires... And in that rare moment you have to step on the brakes... just hope that the surface is ok and you vill be fine with or without ABS. Apply even firm pressure is the key. ABS is just there to help you ease on the brake.

Kanonnier

Hello!! I just ordered my bike & was informed that they will only be importing the ABS versions. I wouldn't mind having it if they are separate. I have googled this topic into boredom & couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Please tell me the asb system isn't a combined system... eg. front brake level operates front & back brake simultaneously.

sdrio

No, it's separate braking.

Don't worry, brakes on the ABS version are fine. Only difference I found is the back brake maybe feels a little spongy, but you get used to it quickly.

Kanonnier

Thanks for the information. I feel relieved now. I would have had to adjust my braking if the system was combined as I use the front brake only 90% of the time.

akyros

car guy jumped in front of me-i istantly brake hard,rear abs trigered just fine i had a passenger too.no probs