MX Handlebar

ReGo

Hello guys,

For those of you in a hurry skip to the SHORTCUT bellow if you don't feel like reading through the background story.

My MT-07's 1-year birthday is fast approaching and I still haven't bought her a gift yet. I was looking into changing something that has nagged me for a while now: the handlebars!
I've got 2 reasons to change it. First, on longer rides I get a nagging pain in my upper back (somewhere between my shoulders) and I have a feeling that the narrow+low handlebars are to blame. And second, I don't like the look of the narrow bars. They look odd and out of scale with the rest of the bike, in my opinion. I saw people here change to Renthal's Ultra Low's but I'm looking for something taller, wider and flatter. I ride MTB a lot and I never get tired on my back. I guess I'm looking to replicate the position on my MT.
Looking around I came across this:
EVO Adventure Bars

They look cool and more or less the specification I'm looking for.

SHORTCUT > > > Anyways, what I'm asking is if I can fit any MX-grade handlebars (Pro Taper, ODI, Renthal, etc) directly to the MT? What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance and happy rides!

Scim77

I have mused over this for some time too. I think it is smart to modify the bike to suit your own personal preferences, increasing enjoyment and safety in the process. I have had a couple of whip-lash injuries over the years, which has left my neck vulnerable, so I have to sit upright these days. I also have slight arthritis in my left thumb joint, which sometimes aches badly after a long ride. For my own comfort I find that bars with more height and bigger sweep/pull-back puts my wrists and neck at a better angle and feels much more comfortable. Low straights give me more pain all round. The original bars tend to throw my elbows outwards, like a Motocrosser, and straights would do so even more. So for my ageing personal limitations I need bigger sweep to help my hands and more height/rise to help my neck.
I modified my previous bikes by changing the bars with this criterion in mind but also had to resort to heating and bending them a bit further too, to get even more pull-back (they were steel bars).
The EVO bars dimension 'D' centre clamp area is important, since you need about 150mm to swerve around the speedo unit. Check this carefully.
Here is a link to Renthal, which might be useful:-
Renthal - 7/8" Handlebars
This LSL bar was of particular interest to me because of its greater pull-back:-
LSL Naked Alu Handlebars 22.2mm T6
Carefully consider the cable lengths and routings for clutch, throttle and front brakes. The EVO bars seem to be about 110mm wider than the original Yamaha bars and might cause you cable problems. In theory you can fit any bar you fancy but the biggest knock-on sting is cable lengths.

ReGo

Thanks, I will look into it. By the way, does anyone know the dimensions of the stock handlebars? Thickness at the clamp area and overall width?