My sports screen is no more...

Phil_B

Having experimented with the official yamaha sports screen since getting it, adjusting the angle etc. I've decided that I prefer the bike without it. So its now come off again.

Whilst it does an admirable job of taking some of the air blast off your body and shoulders, it instead directs turbulent wind and noise at your head. So you get much more air blast past your face and ears, even with ear plugs.

I also don't think it improved the looks of the bike:

I have to say it was like having a new bike back today. Much quieter and smoother air flow, and strangely it felt easier to ride!? Perhaps because the screen attaches directly to the fork top yolks and air flow pressures the bars a bit?

The only down side, it was very handy to tuck your gloves behind when filling with petrol.

dazzor

yeah my Rizoma one doesn't do anything really apart from look cool. Just remember to keep holding on tight :D
This is the screen I'm after; for those reasons, plus I want to stop the elements / bugs blasting the display.

goloso_b

I also have the Rizoma screen and I'm happy with it.
It has minimal impact on wind protection or buffetting and looks as it belongs on the bike.

Phil_B

Have you guys got the plastic or Alu Rizoma? It would be useful to keep the bugs off the key area!

goloso_b

Plastic. I felt that black matched better the racing red scheme. Besides, the ALU one is ridiculously expensive.

Knawful

There is a 'Fly screen' listed on the Aussie Yamaha page, not sure if you guy's have them available where you are... But I digress...
We have lot's of bug's that fly around at dusk over here and I'm a bit concerned about the openness of the ignition area.
Read: I don't want to have to clean dead shit out of the cabling.

Has anyone here got pictures of the Fly screen fitted? It look's shorter than the sports screen..Wondering if I should go that way or not..With nothing there it look's like something is missing. (imho)

hahapik

There is a 'Fly screen' listed on the Aussie Yamaha page, not sure if you guy's have them available where you are... But I digress...
We have lot's of bug's that fly around at dusk over here and I'm a bit concerned about the openness of the ignition area.
Read: I don't want to have to clean dead shit out of the cabling.

Has anyone here got pictures of the Fly screen fitted? It look's shorter than the sports screen..Wondering if I should go that way or not..With nothing there it look's like something is missing. (imho)
Let me google that for you.

Last edited:

goloso_b

With the rizoma screen all the bugs are cleanly diverted from the control panel to your chest area [emoji6]

DJP

I don't see the attraction of screens - most of them look shite and they run the risk of introducing aerodynamic issues, buffeting, weaves etc that weren't there before.

That said, the Rizoma one at least looks like it's meant to be there, unlike some of the other monstrosities out there.

dazzor

I don't see the attraction of screens - most of them look shite and they run the risk of introducing aerodynamic issues, buffeting, weaves etc that weren't there before.

That said, the Rizoma one at least looks like it's meant to be there, unlike some of the other monstrosities out there.
^ This.

For me the Rizoma is the only one that looks like it's part of the intended look of the bike. ...even official Yamaha ones.

I'd love the matt black Alu one but I'm not paying £240 for it.

Phil_B

Do you guys know what the worst part is? I got a "screen" thrown in with the bike... The dealers were very good when it turned out there were going to be two Yam screens and gave me the choice. Both screens took ages to become available and I could have had the smaller fly screen much sooner after getting the bike than this one, but waited as I thought this one would be better!

On reflection that was the wrong choice..

Last edited:

LC mick

Nice one phil been waiting five months for my screen and still waiting. And you are saying it's crap. Might get the rizoma now. Or l'll give you £20.

AJ Nin

Curious if they even work? I know small fly screens really work on a crotch rocket, but there you are forced into the bent and stretched position so your head is low. Sitting upright, I don't see how a little windscreen would work. I don't like the looks of windscreens on a naked bike anyway. I don't find wind to be an issue under about 75-80 mph on my FZ07. It helps to have a helmet that air can't get into.