New FZ 7

Texan1948

Just picked up a new FZ 7 this week. The bike was at my Yamaha/Honda dealer in Plano Texas. They had one and were not sure when the next bike will hit the showroom. This is my second sport bike. I had an FZ 6 a few years back but had to sell and have wanted another. This bike fits me power wise and price wise. So far I am in break in so no performance comments yet! The bike is super smooth and very light.

Yam MT 07

hi Texan 1948 , you will love your fz 7 after its break in , big big fun !!! how much did you pay in dollars for your fz ? have you seen many other fz's around where you live ? wish I could get my mt 07 on the deserted roads down to big bend !!!! :cool:

Texan1948

Hello Yam MT 07. The price was $6990.00 plus tax and title. I have not seen any. Thanks for the note. I will let you know what I think after I get 1000 miles and it is ready to rock.

AJ Nin

I picked up my bike 2 days ago also at Woods Cycle Country in New Braunfels...red, right out of the crate. 0 miles. One thing to always consider here in Texas is how will it do in the hot Texas sun at 95 F, waiting at a traffic light for 3 minutes? I think all bike manufacturers should send their bikes here to be tested so if there is going to be an overheating issue, we will discover it. If your bike is like mine, it will get very hot waiting at traffic lights. My coolant temp got to 220 F. When I had that happen the first day, I had put on 100 miles, so I changed the oil from Yamalube to Rotella T6 full synthetic plus a new filter. Since I do a hard break-in, most of the break-in is done anyway. The oil looked pretty dark after just a day so it was stressed and probably needed changing. Full synthetic oil is recommended for harsh conditions like we have here in Texas. At least it gives me peace of mind and I've been using it for years. Still, this is about when I start riding only in the mornings until about 10 AM. Even if the bike can take it, it is harder on me.

Texan1948

AJ Nin I am going to synthetic after 600 miles. I had the oil changed at 100 but stayed with good old 20 - 50. I will keep an eye on the temp so far it stays around 178 to 180. Most of my riding is not city but I do have some stop lights to get thru till I get to the open road. I agree on the ride time as well. It gets hot here in TX.

AJ Nin

Yes, most people like to go at least 600 mi. or 1000 to go to synthetic the thinking being that break in works better on dino oil. I just go with synthetic at the first oil change which I do early. The reason is that many bikes and cars now come with full synthetic oil and they obviously get broken in. Triumph Street Triple r and all the Aprilias, Vespas from Piaggio come with 5W40, so I do my hard break-in and go right to synthetic at 50-100 miles. Who knows. I doubt it makes any difference. My cars have been coming with full synthetic too, but there may be something else at play there. My Prius came with "free" oil changes for 2 years. Thing is, they say the oil doesn't need to be changed until 10,000 mi. or one year. The longer time before changing oil decreases their service time in other words.

AJ Nin

My bike is running way better now. Probably just getting broken in, but I rode it a couple times today and have put 175 miles on it now. At the 2nd refuel with a hot engine the bike started right up this time, so that's good. Also no dying at traffic lights. I am avoiding the hottest part of the day and long traffic lights. Yesterday, before the oil change when I took it on the interstate and accelerated to 85 mph briefly, they was a little stumble or hesitation. Today I repeated it, rolling onto I-35 and it was smooth as silk. It just feels right now.

Texan1948

AJ Nin sounds good. I have 341 miles on mine and the goal is 600 by the weeks end. Then in for the 600 service. I took it in some turns Sunday evening and it was great. I see you have a Vespa 300, I have a Zuma 125 and a Roadliner S. But the FZ 7 is going to be the most fun.

AJ Nin

Riding is what I do. I've owned a bunch of scooters. Sportcity 50, 125, 250; Scarabeo 100, Roughhouse 50 (the 2-stroke), Metropolitan (that my neighbor GAVE me after I got it running for him), Vespa 150, Vino 125, and this is my 3rd Vespa 300. Lots of motorcycles. I ride about 30,000 miles a year. Not many miles on the car though. This is all my parents fault. When I was 13 or so, there was this ad in the Sears Roebuck catalog for mopeds. I wanted one of those so much but my parents (wisely) said no. That was the start of it though. As fate would have it, I live a block from the owner of af1 racing, Ed Cook who is also a friend and I buy most of my bikes from him. He gives me a good deal. The 2013 Zero S electric bike is my second and is my favorite motorcycle of all. Ed threw in lifetime free tires, free drive belts and adjustments, free brakes, and a free once a year brake fluid flush. I just had a new rear tire put on yesterday at 7600 miles.

I like the Zuma. I think the reason I never bought one was the seat seemed a little tall for me. 125 cc. is a perfect size for around town though. I traded in a Honda Grom 125 plus my Ninja 300 for the FZ-07. The Grom is a fun little hooligan bike too for around town. I even took it on the highway, riding into San Antonio a couple of times. Very easy to work on too. Valves, spark plug, oil drain plug are all staring you right in the face.

Texan1948

You have had some neat bikes and scooters. I ride less, around 10,000 to 12,000 per year combined on the scooter and the Roadliner S. But now with the FZ 7 I may get more miles, or take miles away from the Roadliner. Got some more miles on the FZ 7 today. The Grom is neat. I looked at them but could not carry stuff like I do on the Zuma. I try to do as much as I can on the Zuma and ride it year round hot weather or cold. But the Grom is still cool.