new problem, anyone else suffering with this?

roama119

i had done about 30 miles the other day and stopped to talk to a mate.
when i restarted the bike i noticed the check engine light was on.
i turned the bike off with the key and when i turned the key back to on the bike started on its own.
this made me check the start switch, to find that it is sticking in the start position, not returning to the "on" position.
i have run the switch up and down repeatedly to try and remove any debris, but to no avail
hopefully it will just be some crap caught under the switch but it could be a faulty switch, just something else for you all to keep an eye on.
cheers all, jez

AJ Nin

Yes, that will need fixing. Probably a new starter switch. Only glitch I've had with starting is that my bike is a bit slower to start up than most FI bikes I've had. Might take a second or more of cranking before it fires. Then after stopping to refuel, for example, it is even harder to start. Might take 2 or 3 attempts. It's a new bike with 135 miles on it, so I will give it some more time. I had a GSX-r1000 that behaved almost this exact same way. After a few miles, it started up more quickly even with the engine hot.

Feliz

I've also noticed a slight delay in starting which is unusual for a FI bike in my experience. Once running it's flawless but it does turn over 3-4 times before starting. Anyway, I'm certainly not concerned.

Phil_B

I've also noticed a slight delay in starting which is unusual for a FI bike in my experience. Once running it's flawless but it does turn over 3-4 times before starting. Anyway, I'm certainly not concerned.
Not had that problem fortunately, I hope you get it sorted OP.

Feliz, now I know I spend a lot of time saying "I think I read somewhere that..."; but I'm sure I remember reading that the MT has a very light weight starter motor and relies on some form of decompression to get going.

I kind of figured that's why it takes a couple of whirs of the crank to fire as the motor isn't massively strong.

Mine is certainly the same!

AJ Nin

It's actually reassuring that other people's bikes are behaving like mine when starting. Must be a normal thing for this bike. At my second refueling today, the hot bike started right up. I now have 175 miles on it and did an oil and filter change to full synthetic last evening too (oil was dirty), so I think my engine is just now getting broken in. Yesterday before the oil change it also hesitated or stumbled a bit taking it up to 85 mph. Today, it ran very smoothly up to 85 and just sounds and feels better.

Jon

Re slow starting: I read somewhere that the 07 has an automatic decompressor linked to the starter, making it easier to spin up and allowing a smaller battery and lighter starter motor. My guess is an engine management programme does not release the decompressor until it has spun the set number of times to get it up to starting revs. Just a guess, but seems possible.

Petegas

My bike has about 2500miles and has been a good starter. However, today she wouldn't start. I never touch the throttle, just the starter, but today she turned over but wouldn't catch at all. Ended up with the Yamaha assist RAC man who turned it over while twisting the throttle (which I thought was a no no!) It started and smelt flooded. Apparently he's had a couple which have flooded. He said do the old trick of opening the throttle wide and turning it over to dry out the plugs. Bit of a pain TBH.

AJ Nin

This sounds right. Fast starting bikes seem to get a huge burst of energy to the starter immediately...not a slower crank like with the 07. My Gixxer started this same way. You really don't hear the engine cranking on many FI bikes. Turn key on, lights flash, you hear the fuel pump whirring, hit starter..bam it starts immediately.

AJ Nin

Petegas, if mine did that more than once, I would leave it with the dealer and have them sort it out. At least you got it documented so if it continues...even past the warranty period and needs some expensive FI work, it should be covered. I have never had this happen on a FI bike...happens all the time with carbs though. There the fix is usually easy. FI is great, WHEN IT WORKS. When it doesn't it is a pain. My service manuals for FI motorcycles often have nearly half the manual devoted to the FI system. Good luck with it. They may need to hook it up to the computer and get some codes to see what's going wrong.

Lexington Stanway

I noticed my engine light on for the first time today. I had stopped the engine with the kill switch which I don't normally do. The switch hadn't returned to the normal position and pushing it back cancelled the engine light. I've tried to clean around and under the switch might try a bit of wd40.

Jiro

My bike is the same - ie slight delay and it turns over 3 - 4 times. I was not happy with this and brought it up on the 1st service. They apparently put it on diagnostics and it showed no fault. My previous MT-03 and Toyota always started at the touch of a button. My MT-07 does not.

badger27

mine's booked in for friday to have the starter switch changed as mine did the same thing yesterday cmc chesterfield said they would sort it under warranty
i turned the bike off with the key and when i turned the key back to on the bike started on its own.
this made me check the start switch, to find that it is sticking in the start position, not returning to the "on" position.
i have run the switch up and down repeatedly to try and remove any debris, but to no avail
hopefully it will just be some crap caught under the switch but it could be a faulty switch, just something else for you all to keep an eye on.
cheers all, jez

sdrio

My bike is the same - ie slight delay and it turns over 3 - 4 times. I was not happy with this and brought it up on the 1st service. They apparently put it on diagnostics and it showed no fault. My previous MT-03 and Toyota always started at the touch of a button. My MT-07 does not.
Don't you just love diagnostics?

Used to be you'd go to a mechanic, show him the problem and he'd fix it.

Now if the data reader doesn't agree, he just shrugs his shoulders. My Mum could do that.

"Nah mate. I can see the pistons have both cracked - I can see it through the hole in the top of the cylinder head, but there's nothing showing on diagnostics so you're good to go".

da1kini

Don't you just love diagnostics?

Used to be you'd go to a mechanic, show him the problem and he'd fix it.

Now if the data reader doesn't agree, he just shrugs his shoulders. My Mum could do that.

"Nah mate. I can see the pistons have both cracked - I can see it through the hole in the top of the cylinder head, but there's nothing showing on diagnostics so you're good to go".
Well in that case I really hope the diagnostics would pick it up :)

Ralph

Problem with diagnostics is they only store some faults so
if the fault is intermittent it's not going to show up.

badger27

yes buddy cmc have just replaced the switch gear on the right hand side of mine for that same problem luckily warranty covers it
cheers all, jez

mudrock

Hi,
Looks like I've to, have got a sticky starter switch, at the moment I have to push the switch back every time, , going to the dealers on Friday with the MT09, will ask question s then.

Nuggets

my starter is sticking switch is sticking a bit as well, I've done about 3,000 miles, a dose of WD-40 hasn't cured it so it will be a warranty claim along with the battery lead come the warmer weather.

Gaulois

I have been removing the driver seat a few times to access the battery and to remove the tanks' plastic panels. As I unscrew and screw the seat holding screws, they are striping. Not at the same time, but both are stripping. I have applied some care doing so after the 1st screw stripped, but to no avail. Well, its not the screws, but the permanently installed bolt that are stripping.