Not even 13l tank capacity

1a2a3a

I have a real burning desire to ask this question.

Do you guys put the nozzle of the pump into that 'fuel hole'? Its the hole after opening up the fuel cap.

The thing I don't get is, when I do that, I cant see when the fuel is going to be filled up, and it risk the chance of spilling over to the tank? BUT I realized something, everytime when the fuel reaches the top while my nozzle is still inside, the nozzle will 'somehow automatically' disconnect pumping petrol into the tank?

is that how pump nozzle supposed to work?

da1kini

I have a real burning desire to ask this question.

Do you guys put the nozzle of the pump into that 'fuel hole'? Its the hole after opening up the fuel cap.

The thing I don't get is, when I do that, I cant see when the fuel is going to be filled up, and it risk the chance of spilling over to the tank? BUT I realized something, everytime when the fuel reaches the top while my nozzle is still inside, the nozzle will 'somehow automatically' disconnect pumping petrol into the tank?

is that how pump nozzle supposed to work?
Thats the way they should work. And I usually fill some more gas buy simply pull back the nozzle like 3 cm from the "fuel hole" edge.

Noggie

Well, I did another check.
Was out driving it started blinking and the trip started counting upwards.

I ran this to 23,5km, and filled 11,57 liters.

I stick the gun into the hole and fill up until it stops, then pull it up and continue filling.
Sitting on the bike keeping it straight to maximize how much fuel I can get in it.

On the filling above I actually found that I could keep filling the space above the hole, and the level would sink down and I could fill more.
My first filling half way up the space stopped at 11,3l , so I managed to get about 0,3l more fuel in the tank by repeatedly topping up.

johnnakay

the hole that we're talking about has a tubing which is about 60mm long.
I've known other forum members have cut that tubing about half and manage to get another litre and half!
how true that is anybody guess.

sdrio

Fuel pumps use something called the venturi effect to shut off. There's a small hole with a pipe at the end of the nozzle, and as long as it can 'suck' easily, it lets the fuel flow. If it is obstructed, it causes a small diaphragm in the nozzle to trip the nozzle off. So, if it is sucking air, it's fine. If it starts sucking fuel (or even the foam), it has to work harder, which flexes the diaphragm.

I think the MT07, and quite a few other bikes have some kind of baffles in the tank, which stop the full weight of the fuel slopping around. That is why when you fill it up slowly to the top, the level then starts slowly dropping. If you can be bothered, you can get about another half a litre in after it has apparently been filled to the top, but as it's only going in at a trickle, that's far too boring.