number plate

cal66

Just bought my own number plate MT07 CAL so hopefully bike will arrive on this date I have been given along with screen my bf (ally71) bought for me, bike due on 17th we'll see what happens, will post pics when eventually here

RedOne

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I bought my plate in November last year when I ordered the bike. I chose MT07 BAD. Considered MT07 RED but thought It would look a bit odd if some reason my dealer couldn't get a red one. As it happens I have had a red one since March. One observation I do notice now is that MT07 prefix plates that could be bought for the standard £250.00 then aren't now. DVLA pricing definetly must react to demand.

eriks

huh here in Estonia the special plate costs just under 2000 USD as state tax. so it is damn rare to see any. would like to get one of course like 07 MT, as our default plate schema for bikes is LetterLetter NumberNumber.

Jon

Think your government is missing a trick eriks! By pricing sensibly our lot have turned it into a big earner...so as they issue new numbers they don't release the "good" ones at all, just sell them at a premium. No-one ever gets a good one by chance anymore. And they charge us for swapping or retaining favourite or so-called "cherished" numbers..They have gone for volume and seem to do really well out of it.

TJ63

I finally took the plunge and went for a personal plate, but rather than an "MT07" prefix, I went with a "YAM" suffix, so I can swap it to other Yamahas in the future.

TJ

Last edited:

Scoobie

I'm interested in getting my own plate too, but I'm waiting until I have the bike as I don't want to give the dealer this extra hassle. Plus, it won't stay on the bike forever, so having its own original plate will be handy. It's priced at £899, expensive enough, but do-able.

RedOne

The only comment I would make Scoobie is if you get the documentation for the plate before the dealer registers it you have paid the £80.00 registration fee. Working from memory on the part of the cost element. Anyway it does mean that the dealer doesn't have to pay it. Enough to pay for his hassle! Also if you change to the plate later most insurance companies will charge to change your insurance to the new reg as they have to issue a new policy. Just a thought.

allyw71

if you put your own reg on the bike from new, you won't have to pay the dealer the first reg fee. Its no hassle for the dealer, you just hand him the form (v750 I think) that you get from the dvla, job done. If you let the dealer reg the bike before you get it, then put you own reg on it, the original reg will be lost. When you later remove your own reg from the bike, another, different reg will be issued. So there is no benefit in waiting, it would actually be cheaper for you to have it put on from day one.

Ellerslie

I finally took the plunge and went for a personal plate, but rather than an "MT07" prefix, I went with a "YAM" suffix, so I can swap it to other Yamahas in the future.

TJ
Or you could sell it to someone from Birmingham (England).

I wish I'd thought of getting a private plate before the prices went up. The MT07 suffix works perfectly.

D

Deleted member 20

In Sweden you pay £ 545 and the personal plate is yours for 10 years. Just did a search, MT07 is up for grabs. Most other combinations are also free to use, since very few bother.

Did a search for TDM (my other bike) and that one was also free to use :)
So is MT09, FAZER, FZ1, FZ8, 1200GS, R1200GS etc.

https://personligskylt.transportstyrelsen.se/Ledigt.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoobie

The only comment I would make Scoobie is if you get the documentation for the plate before the dealer registers it you have paid the £80.00 registration fee. Working from memory on the part of the cost element. Anyway it does mean that the dealer doesn't have to pay it. Enough to pay for his hassle! Also if you change to the plate later most insurance companies will charge to change your insurance to the new reg as they have to issue a new policy. Just a thought.
if you put your own reg on the bike from new, you won't have to pay the dealer the first reg fee. Its no hassle for the dealer, you just hand him the form (v750 I think) that you get from the dvla, job done. If you let the dealer reg the bike before you get it, then put you own reg on it, the original reg will be lost. When you later remove your own reg from the bike, another, different reg will be issued. So there is no benefit in waiting, it would actually be cheaper for you to have it put on from day one.
Snap to that. :D
Thanks guys, that's very much food for thought. The only reason I reckoned it'll be alright to do it after is that I bought a car once that had a personalised plate on its history. It had its normal reg, then had a personalised one, then it reverted to the original plate before being sold on to me.

If you guys are saying that it's good business for both me and the dealer, then I'm going to have to think about this seriously. And soon.

RedOne

I bought MT07 BAD for £250.00 in November and have had it on my bike since March. Regarding the rise in some of the prices I only noticed because MT07 RED that I thought about at the time was also £250.00 now it's £699.00.

Scoobie

For me, the reg I'm wanting isn't bike specific. It can wait until we have a car that fits the year number, as that was where it was to go eventually. So, I'll be putting it on hold. Thanks to all for their input, much appreciated!

Irksome

I wondered whether others would catch on ... I nearly went for my (real) name but in the end thought it'd be wanky and went for an anonymous combination ... but it amuses me. Not sure I want to post it on a public forum though :)

Last edited: