oh god i might have to let her go

KEVINJSTANLEY

It would appear that I need further surgery on my left wrist which I have been told may make clutch control impracticable, but then I will lose a lot of money on my 2015 Cage, with Maxton forks, rear rack and box, Akra, as well as replacement side panels where the rack goes and a brand new unopened yam exhaust. 3800miles on the clock.

so the question is: if you were looking for a MT what would you pay for this spec, and if it were you potentially selling would you take off the forks and Akra and sell them separately.

Noggie

I guess you'll come out losing regardless, sometimes its better to get rid of it all in one go, than having to try to sell parts after the bike is gone.

That said.
If you price it fair, and list all the spec with cost you might get what you want for it.
I'm kind of in the same boat, while the base models are sold for a set sum, mine was a lot more expensive due to extras, and I have added things later.
If I was to sell mine I would list it higher than a new basic one cost. And list the things done to it and the true cost in the listing.

Making it a "you can by a basic bike for A, and pay C to get these mods, or pay me B to get it that way".

robodene

"May" and "might". Does that mean it's worth awaiting events? On another bike website they usually say take everything off and sell separately. Good luck to you, whatever.

nobull

Second that by robodene. I've had a few serious injuries, and been told I wouldn't be able to ride, in my experience determination to succeed (especially with physio) is a large part of the outcome. Obviously I'm saying that without knowing anything of your situation, but in general in does make a significant difference re surgical outcomes given what I've been told by orthopaedic surgeons & physios in the past. Imagine the frustration of being able to ride & having sold your bike! There is definitely a culture in this country of making sure informed consent errs on the negative side too, as it should. Also, you can shift up without using the clutch out of town, so any fatigue can be pretty much halved. If you really cant work the clutch after surgery, why not consider a dual clutch (auto) Honda? Don't let a surgeon put you off bikes, take your lead from the likes of Connor Cummins/Hutchy, balls like watermelons and a shitload of talent & determination! And good luck hope the surgery & physio goes well!

KEVINJSTANLEY

Hi all
thanks for the replies...food for thought as they say, what I have found this afternoon tho that may well be my saviour is that there is a kit that will give me clutch control via a 2nd lever on the right side. that may well take some getting used to but if it means 1 keep biking and 2 keep my MT then I need to consider it.
Nobull : while looking for clutch kit ..as you say Honda do a vfr12000 with a auto box, 14 k and probably heavy but it looks nice:)

I will wait till I get the op before sell my cage....especially as last week I fitted that rear rack which was bloody fun and I want to get a good trip out of the bike but I have the operation, as the wife says that will teach you for falling through a roof at work.

Gaz2212

Kev,
Honestly just have a quick look at the link above, when i sold mine i tried my best to justify why someone should spend more on mine than any other, i think i did ok with this
I then put the bike on ebay classified with all the same explanation and honestly could have got more for the bike, it sold the second day it was on there
There is someone out there who wants the mods but without the hassle of doing it themselves, dont get me wrong you will loose a bit but selling a used standard bike you will loose also
Just do your best to advertise and justify the mods and price, i found it best to break everthing down to show people what they would be getting for the extra money
What i found also helped was be really flexable with delivering the bike if your buyer wants, i delivered mine close to brighton from stoke but it meant i got the price i needed
Hope this helps and good luck
Gaz

bobh

December isn't a good time to sell any bike. I think for that reason alone I'd be tempted to wait a month or three.

Good luck with the op, anyway.

KEVINJSTANLEY

Kev,
Honestly just have a quick look at the link above, when i sold mine i tried my best to justify why someone should spend more on mine than any other, i think i did ok with this
I then put the bike on ebay classified with all the same explanation and honestly could have got more for the bike, it sold the second day it was on there
There is someone out there who wants the mods but without the hassle of doing it themselves, dont get me wrong you will loose a bit but selling a used standard bike you will loose also
Just do your best to advertise and justify the mods and price, i found it best to break everthing down to show people what they would be getting for the extra money
What i found also helped was be really flexable with delivering the bike if your buyer wants, i delivered mine close to brighton from stoke but it meant i got the price i needed
Hope this helps and good luck
Gaz
Hi Gaz
that bike you had was a bit special , it was a head turner so I was not surprised like many that you would get what you wanted. my issue is that I really like riding the mt and I have had many other larger bikes.
I suppose at the end of the day as others have said ...don't jump the gun with the Op and selling the MT.
sometimes life can drop a load of poop on you, and to be honest it was the purchase of this bike that helped get through a bad time after the op's and being down.

ahhh well put that behind me....we will see what will be and then if the worse happens put it for sale at what I feel it is worth and see what happens.

cheers all anyway, lets forget about this thread now and have a good Christmas

sdrio

Hi all
thanks for the replies...food for thought as they say, what I have found this afternoon tho that may well be my saviour is that there is a kit that will give me clutch control via a 2nd lever on the right side. that may well take some getting used to but if it means 1 keep biking and 2 keep my MT then I need to consider it.
Nobull : while looking for clutch kit ..as you say Honda do a vfr12000 with a auto box, 14 k and probably heavy but it looks nice:)

I will wait till I get the op before sell my cage....especially as last week I fitted that rear rack which was bloody fun and I want to get a good trip out of the bike but I have the operation, as the wife says that will teach you for falling through a roof at work.
Honda NC700X also comes with an auto box. It's in many ways very similar to the MT as well.

2014 Honda NC700X DCT ABS Review - Motorcycle.com

KEVINJSTANLEY

hi sdrio
yea but have you seen it up close, it really not a good looking bike, however I was told the Africa twin is coming out early next year with the auto box, but I prefer the VFR1200.

sdrio

Except it's a couple of sacks of spuds heavier!
Ok, but it's not like there are 50 different bikes available with auto. The Honda certainly wouldn't be everybodies first choice, but it's a similar size, shape and type of bike.

The fjr1300 has an auto option too. My brother has one, it's an absolute elephant of a thing. Have to say though, it is very fast.

nobull

I see the new Africa Twin also has a DCT auto clutch option. 270 degree firing order parallel twin & just under 100bhp? Dodgy wheel sizes tho...