Pre-load

Phil_B

Of course if you had more weight on the back that's what it's there for. But for solo riding I found three better than four.

Phil_B

So, anyone else played with this?

After fiddling around with the suspension last time it still felt funny so I dropped it down to two and went for ride. The bike felt more planted but possibly too low at the rear on 2 ( as though too much suspension travel was gone).

Gone back up to 3 for now. It's almost as if 2.5 would be best.

Checked my tyres (cold) and the recent warmer weather means they were up at 35/38. So dropped them back to recommended for now and will take another test ride tomorrow!

J-dan

I have mine set at 7 and finding it perfect for my riding style. 3 was a bit too soft for me. and I weigh 70 kg. reckon its worth adjusting to suit your style of riding

J-dan

Slight bit of movement. I was finding. when downshifting I was bouncing about a bit. but this has solved it. Like I say just my riding style I guess.

TJ63

I tried mine full up yesterday (forgot to put it back after taking a pillion). Every bump was like being punched in the kidneys.

It's now on 4 and seems to suit me. 75Kg plus bike gear.

Phil_B

Blimey, I could imagine. Back on three with the right tyre pressures today was much better. Had a bloody awesome ride and the bike felt more planted with warm but not too hard tyres!

eriks

have tried during last 6000km all settings and found 4 is best for me. 74kg riding alone on very bumpy roads, riding fast (140 kmh constantly). front end is much bigger problem for me, throughs left and right in turns if hits the bump

Ralph

15 st plus gear and a top box, set on 6 feels about right Bridgestone tyres feel a bit hard at 33/36 cold.
if it had a rear damping adjustment I would go up 2 clicks but it hasn't so I wont.

FrostHazer

comment from Ohlins': The spring pre-load affects the ride height, it does not affect the spring stiffness. Therefore, on models with a linkage to the shock absorber, the suspension may actually feel harder when you reduce the pre-load and the shock absorber gets into the harder range of the link system.

on the MT, each click on the adjuster is only a couple of mm, so surely (I'm no expert) up or down one click won't make a lot of difference?

re Yamaha not giving suspension advice- this is not an expensive bike -I suspect that the oe shock absorbers are not top quality, they could vary quite a lot from one bike to another, which is why Yamaha can't give advice. Every owner has to decide what suits them.

If arithmetic applies (if !) - max load 173kg + weight of bike 182kg = 455. say that's max preload 10. standard setting is 3, perhaps with a 60kg rider 182+60=242. 455-242=213 to cover 7 clicks makes each click 30kg. I'm 84kg, 84-60=24, so set to click 4 for no luggage, no pillion. Somebody will probably tell me this is wrong but it's a start? Perhaps the spring rate isn't linear.
its 173+182=355 actualy.

TJ63

You'll need probably need it on about setting 2, so one or two steps anti-clockwise from the stock setting.

Noggie

1 is softest, 3 is factory default.

Me being 100+ Kg with gear I first set it to 6, after my first good trip I found the rear a bit vague in corners, so I actually ended up going to 8.
I like this rear setting, but the front is way to soft, so I think my winter project is an öhlins kit.