Run in now

da1kini

But then again, why would Yamaha put in it print in the owners manual if it doesn't matter?

I have almost completed first 1000 km (600 miles?) and there have been times when horns have made there appearance and let me believe that pushing the engine is fine. However I think I stick to the instructions as far as I can :)

mike83

Manual says about 1600 km of soft ride (under 6k) and i think is good way because you have time to ''feel'' the bike . And is safer for you and maybe for bike .

mike d

From the manual:
Since the engine is brand new, do not put an excessive load on it for the first 1600 km (1000 mi). The various parts in the engine wear and polish themselves to the correct operating clearances. During this period, PROLONGED FULL THROTTLE OPERATION or any condition that might result in engine overheating must be avoided.
0–1000 km (0–600 mi)
Avoid PROLONGED OPERATION above 5000 r/min. NOTICE: After 1000 km (600 mi) of operation, the engine oil must be changed and the oil filter cartridge or element replaced.
1000–1600 km (600–1000 mi)
Avoid PROLONGED OPERATION above 6000 r/min.
So I don't interpret that to mean you have to baby it. You can ride it as hard as you want within those guidelines (which allow for much fun to be had). ;)

menzic

From the manual:

So I don't interpret that to mean you have to baby it. You can ride it as hard as you want within those guidelines (which allow for much fun to be had). ;)
With working long hours and with a family it could take time to get to the first 600, then 1000 miles. I am being reasonably sensible, keeping it to the 5K limit but with odd burst up the rev range for overtaking, then changing up to bring the revs down again; which should be ok.

I did consider taking it to a Dyno for running in, if I could find one close enough to me (Northamptonshire).

Noggie

There should be no need to stay below the required rpm at all times.
Prolonged is a vague term, I see no problem running it to redline on a flat surface right out of the box, might not do it uphill though.
My bike has 35km on it now and it has been above 5000 briefly a few times.
Somehow I doubt the near stalling and driving along from walking speed in 2nd gear is any better that 10.000rpm. I can tell by the shaking and vibrations that the bike really don't like to take off from 1000rpm in 2nd gear.

I plan to break mine in within reason. I'm a noob so there is limits to how hard I can ride it in the first place, I don't even have a license yet.
Been driving cars for 20 years, and did drive a moped like a maniac 22 years ago, so I think the license will be a big deal.

Gee

For what its worth, i'm not paying any attention to what it says in the book. Just riding the thing as I see fit. I dont screem the shiot out of it but I don't baby it either.

jobac

My dealer told me to try and not exceed 8k rpm in the first 600 miles. Mine is going in for its first service on Saturday and I have mostly stuck to his recommendation.

DJP

...I dont screem the shit out of it but I don't baby it either.
And that's pretty much all that really needs to be said on the subject of running in.

Running in is subjective really, bare in mind it's a high revving engine, I worked at a car dealers in sales for 6 years and I can tell you this.

We never had a single problem with our demo's and personal cars, we got company cars and would thrash them right out of the box, we were always told that the pistons and cylinders will seal better if driven hard....
Yep, I used to drive police cars – we got them brand new and they were all thrashed from Day 1. Pretty much all of them clocked up well over 100k miles without any engine problems.

But then again, why would Yamaha put in it print in the owners manual if it doesn't matter?
It's just the same, generic running-in advice that they've been printing for the last 30 years.

Modern engines, like the MT07, have ultra hard ceramic/electroplated bores – hell, I'm not even sure if something like that can be run in. It's not like the old iron bores where you're trying to gently wear off the honing (and even on those, being too gentle wouldn't get the job done).

FWIW, I don't really run-in anything. I just ride normally and avoid red-lining the motor until after the first oil change. I've done that with 4 brand new bikes and never had an issue.