Running in.... Please pass

cosmikdebriis

Only four hundred and fifty miles to go... It's really getting me down now,

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the bike but resisting the temptation to race every other bike/car I come across is proving frustrating to say the least. I find I can nip past most things in traffic but head on up the open road and I get stuck at 70 whilst some kid in a Peugeot blasts past laughing his head off.

I've been considering getting some "Running In Please Pass" waistcoats made up to excuse my embarrassment.

Oh well... At least I've been managing to get the thing leaning over a bit now. I was beginning to think that by first service I'd have square tyres.

dazzor

Running In... Please Pass...

I feel your pain.

Conversely, I'm looking forward to taking it easy on a torquey twin....currently on an IL4.

The want to race has dwindled quite a lot in me, perhaps I'm at a different stage in my biking life.

I can not understand these middle-age blokes, normally riding battered CBF600's or similar that want to "embarrass" riders on "bigger/more powerful" bikes because they are road warrior veterans who, after 3 or more decades still feel they have a point to prove...on the open, public road; instead of doing us all a favour and booking a track day.

Yes, I ride every day, in and out of London, enough said :)

Rant over

Last edited:

Will145

I can really empathise with the OP! Driving me mad keeping it under 5krpm..... My first service is booked in for Friday 13th so I'm going to give it some abuse after.

dazzor

If all I do is my weekday commute, I'll have the initial 600 miles done in 3 weeks. (Hope to get bike from dealer in just over a week)

Pretty sure I'll have it done in less time though. :)

As said, when out on my test ride I was very mindful of the bike's performance under 5,000 revs. I like short-shifting and lazy twin power....without idling of course.

Don't get me wrong, post run-in it will be nice to able to give it the berries on occasion. :)

mike83

Only four hundred and fifty miles to go... It's really getting me down now,

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the bike but resisting the temptation to race every other bike/car I come across is proving frustrating to say the least. I find I can nip past most things in traffic but head on up the open road and I get stuck at 70 whilst some kid in a Peugeot blasts past laughing his head off.

I've been considering getting some "Running In Please Pass" waistcoats made up to excuse my embarrassment.

Oh well... At least I've been managing to get the thing leaning over a bit now. I was beginning to think that by first service I'd have square tyres.
Chill , this 1600 km is for better feel your bike :D

pobrane.jpg

T_Robert

I believe there is misunderstanding the 1000-1600km limitations that the running in implies. Nobody says you cannot exceed 5000 rpm respectively 6000 rmp. It is stated very clear that "prolonged operation" should be avoided.

What I understand is stat you should not ride the bike at a constant rpm above 5000 / 6000 rpm. Thus, it is normal to exceed those limits when shifting. Nothing bad should happen if you shift upper than 5000 / 6000.

Go on and ride the bike a bit sportier.

sdrio

There are a couple of makes / models that I find are more likely to be aggressive than others. In no particular order;

- Three wheelers. Those things with two wheels at the front. I reckon it's a kind of "Yeah, I know I look like a complete tool on this, but watch how fast I can go" thing.

- BMWs. They have a pathological need to be in front of you. Once you let them through, they slow right down. If you then go past them, they will switch back to 'get out of my way, you nasty cheap bike' mode again.

- Ducattis, in particular the Multistrada. Most Ducatti riders will rev impatiently at you if they think you're not going fast enough. This is 100% of the time, of course.

The Multistrada rider will do this with cars as well, possibly expecting them to pull into bus stops etc, to let them nail the throttle into the 14 metre gap they are so desperate to reach, before slamming on the brakes and starting the process again with the next person being rude enough to observe the speed limits.

Did I miss anyone?

DJP

I believe there is misunderstanding the 1000-1600km limitations that the running in implies. Nobody says you cannot exceed 5000 rpm respectively 6000 rmp. It is stated very clear that "prolonged operation" should be avoided.

What I understand is stat you should not ride the bike at a constant rpm above 5000 / 6000 rpm. Thus, it is normal to exceed those limits when shifting. Nothing bad should happen if you shift upper than 5000 / 6000.

Go on and ride the bike a bit sportier.
This^^.

I don't really "run-in" anything as such anymore - I just ride normally: ie Don't red-line it, don't lug it and don't run at the same speed all the time. I just run it freely through the gears without paying much heed to how many revs it's doing.

That said, with the MT07's broad torque spread I seldom find the need to rev it much beyond 7,000 rpm anyway.