Screens - the wind and the rain...

bhd

Hi all,

firstly apologies if this post appears twice, I tried to post earlier but think my session timed out while drafting it the first time (that's what you get for posting from work :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I'm in the market for a screen and would like your input on the relative merits of screens tall and short - do they make a real difference or do they just chuck the wind/rain at your head/chest?
I use the bike five days a week, year-round, and my commute is mostly b-roads with short blast on the m-way, so I'd be interested to know how tall and short perform around town and at speed,
thanks in advance,
bhd.

sharky

I personally have no experience yet in this matter since my bike is still in the display, but logic tells me all these people on this forum don't install them for the looks.
I believe the higher the better. I guess you have to find the balance between looks and wind cover.
Even a small screen will make a difference than no screen.

craigieboy

I've only had 2 screens, An Ermax one and now a Puig one. For me the bike with no screen, wind hits you straight on the chest, The Ermax screen (Short version) lifted the wind to just below my shoulders. The Puig screen i have now lifted the wind off my body and now only affects my head/lid. Its a naked at the end of the day and thats where everyone will balance looks vs comfort.

Ermax:

Puig:

sharky

Great photos craigieboy and good info.

Do you ever remove the puig one and go total naked or switch to the ermax or do you consider it a must have now you've experienced it's efficiency?

craigieboy

Cheers Sharky,

Haven't gone full naked (Screen that is ha) since i picked the bike up, not really a fan of the MT without a screen to be honest. And pretty much what you said, now ive had the Puig one i wouldnt go back. I looked for a while to find a screen that was taller and that i liked the look of aswell. Very happy with the Puig.

sharky

haha. I thought there was a dirty joke in there while typing that.
I think it will be the same for me, meaning keeping it on. Unless I feel like some extra air in the hot summer.

I managed to get the original sport screen as a gift when I order my MT so it will be interesting to see how efficient that one will be. Dealer said this will be my last bike-less weekend. Fingers crossed

craigieboy

Thats it, see how you get on with that screen you know there are other options out there if you need one. All the best when you pick the MT up sure you will still have plenty nice days left over in Greece for rides, getting colder and darker here everyday :(

Noggie

Just curious.
How did this affect wind noise.
I have no screen on my bike, but I have driven a couple different bikes with a screen/fairing, and I got this rumbling noise in my helmet on a few of them.
I guess my Shoei GT-Air actually likes it better to be in clean air than turbulent air reflected off a screen.
Thus so far I have not bothered getting a screen, however I have been considering the DPM one.

bhd

but logic tells me all these people on this forum don't install them for the looks.
Heh, I have been thinking the opposite, there are lots of posts about which screens look the best, but not so many about how they work :D

bhd

Thanks for your input Cragieboy, I've only ever ridden unfaired bikes, so am just trying to work out if a screen would be worthwhile at all, i.e. the pros and cons. The one time I did fit a screen (to my SV650), I found that while it was helpful at motorway speeds, around town it just directed the air straight at my head, which was really irritating. I gave up on it as the improvement on the m-way wasn't worth the battering around town! Don't want to make the same mistake again with the MT.

craigieboy

Just curious.
How did this affect wind noise.
I have no screen on my bike, but I have driven a couple different bikes with a screen/fairing, and I got this rumbling noise in my helmet on a few of them.
I guess my Shoei GT-Air actually likes it better to be in clean air than turbulent air reflected off a screen.
Thus so far I have not bothered getting a screen, however I have been considering the DPM one.
Interesting you should say that Noggie, I dont have any of that with my screen but when i test rode a MT-09 tracer i expected to be much better protected from the wind, but actually got the noise you describe and a lot of buffeting around my head. Way i see it is my Puig screen covers my upper body and then like you said, the helmet gets clean air so no turbulance.

Thanks for your input Cragieboy, I've only ever ridden unfaired bikes, so am just trying to work out if a screen would be worthwhile at all, i.e. the pros and cons. The one time I did fit a screen (to my SV650), I found that while it was helpful at motorway speeds, around town it just directed the air straight at my head, which was really irritating. I gave up on it as the improvement on the m-way wasn't worth the battering around town! Don't want to make the same mistake again with the MT.
I cant say i've noticed any negatives/wind problems at low speed. Im also using an icon variant lid (Peaked Lid) so if the wind is gonna be a problem sure id know about it haha. cheers

Mollie-san

I'n thinking about getting the Puig sport screen. Doesn't look bulky on the bike yet deflects a decent amount of wind from the torso.

Here's a nice review of the screen

[video=youtube;l-AfhqW1Fm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-AfhqW1Fm0[/video]