Smells like petrol...

Unsterbliche

I just finished washing my bike and saw that there was liquid stains on the exhaust pipe. Cleaned it off and started the bike and revved it a bit and then I saw the liquid stains reappeared... I put my hand over the exhaust and revved again and felt the liquid hit my hand and it smells like petrol, it does not come out when the engine idles though. The engine temp was around 50 degrees Celsius at the time. I have done about 300km and am averaging according to the bikes meter 5L/100km. Must I worry about this petrol coming out?????

sdrio

If it is petrol, yes, I'd worry about it.

Where is it coming from? Which part of the exhaust is it hitting?

I'd be careful. Petrol hitting a potentially hot exhaust pipe could be a very serious fault indeed.

Unsterbliche

Coming directly out of the exhaust pipe and hits just underneath that, on the exhaust heat shield. Any advice as how I must handle this?

Ralph

If the bike is running normally then it's very likely normal
all petrol engines chuck a bit of unburnt fuel out of the
exhaust especially when they are not fully warmed up.

sdrio

Oh, well if it's coming out of the exhaust, it's probably just water. It'll smell like petrol because it's come out of the exhaust gases. Panic over.

Unsterbliche

Ok that's a relief!! I have only done 300km so don't know what "normal" is, but the engine runs smooth, has NOT stalled once and stays well within normal operating temperatures. Anyway will check what happens during tomorrow's ride. Thanx for the info.

sdrio

Ok that's a relief!! I have only done 300km so don't know what "normal" is, but the engine runs smooth, has NOT stalled once and stays well within normal operating temperatures. Anyway will check what happens during tomorrow's ride. Thanx for the info.
If you look at cars in traffic, you'll quite often see water dripping from the exhaust.

If I'm not completely confused, it's a small amount of water vapour from the exhaust fumes hitting the relatively cold metal of the exhaust pipe, and condensing.