So I was wondering, do you guys filter through traffic?

Guru Woodman

I have done most of my driving in Europe and it is common practice to filter through traffic i.e. when cars are standing still at a traffic light, you drive in between lanes to get ahead.
But for Ontario I am not so sure of it is even legal or tolerated. I noticed that not many do it but I am sometimes tempted to go for it.
Same goes for lane splitting and weaving.

I really don't see the problem doing it. If anything it helps the traffic flow. There is of course the risk that a lot of car drivers or cagers are oblivious of you being there. But when cars are standing still I think the risk is relatively low.

Kipawa

Called lane splitting. Highly illegal in Ontario. A number of US states are now starting to allow it. It is a very smart idea but can be extremely dangerous if you are not paying attention or if you get a pissy cager.

Guru Woodman

I thought lane splitting was driving in between slow moving lanes of traffic? I can see the risk there, but if cars are standing still and providing that there is enough room I don't see the danger.

Kipawa

Hmmmmm got technical on me and yes maybe a difference and yes maybe called differently. I always took both as same and in my opinion both dangerous and require caution. Never feel I am going to win a battle with any car at any speed and worse yet someone who wants to get out and confront me coz I scratched his vehicle going by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cosmikdebriis

Filter !!! I suppose that's the polite way of putting it.

Personally I didn't buy a bike to sit in a queue of cars, moving or otherwise. Of course I accept this could ultimately be the death of me and as I've go older and wiser I do tend to be a lot more careful but one of my favourite things about the MT is the ease in which you can squeeze through the narrowest of gaps. Probably nearly as good as my DRZ400 though, as a trail bike, that has the advantage of higher bars making it less likely to bash someone's wing mirror.

As for the legality... I give that about as much respect as I do to the speed limit. (which of course is 100%).

allyw71

I have no problem doing it, most cars will move to give you a bit more room, but some ass wipes try to close the gap, usually driving BMW's.

Feliz

Highly illegal here as well and the cagers don't like it. Trying it may result in a bad experiece.

P

Peter

It is legal here. I did it in the past when it was illegal. Some years ago the rule modified and now it is allowed to go ahead between lanes if the cars are stopped.
In my experience most of the drivers leave space. There are some (typically old) drivers who close the gap.

BTW we are allowed to use the bus lane. What about other countries?

busey

I filter more now my last bike was not filter friendly wide bars on the vn900 the MT07 is lots better