Speed Shifting

allyw71

When you say speed shifting, I assume you mean clutchless? Yamaha boxes have always been slick at clutchless up shifting so I expect the MT to be no different, never down shift clutchless, unless your clutch cable snaps :eek: (pulling away from junctions is interesting with no clutch:rolleyes:)
Does it do any damage? well I don't know, the general opinion is its OK, but if you got it wrong I dare say you could bend a selector fork or something. Personaly I always use the clutch as I don't see any advantage for road riding. But if you want, give it a go and report back your findings.

Irksome

I've always shifted without the clutch on all bikes (up and down) - most of the time smoothly :p - and never experienced a problem wiht a gearbox - almost all of which have been Yamaha gearboxes.

Kaff

I've had problems with shifting from 2nd to 3rd under hard acceleration, so I decided to give clutchless shifting a go. Works like a charm on the MT-07. After that experiment I've adopted clutchless upshifting from 2nd to 6th under hard acceleration. When I'm not in a hurry I always use the clutch. Also downshifts go with clutch, always.

T-Boss

Most of the time I use the clutch when shifting even though it's much smoother and less clunky without clutch during medium to hard accelerations.

T-Boss

Apply some pressure upwards on the shift lever while accelerating and when releasing the gas the next gear pops in. Medium to high rpm works fine for me.

Igor

I only clutchless shift when accelerating hard, in town I use the clutch. It doesn't harm the box, I've always done on my bikes as has all the guys I've ridden with.

@livestrong - just apply upward pressure to the gear shift while accelerating then blip the throttle down for a split second (reducing you acceleration) and it'll pop straight into the next gear while. Can be jerky if if do it too low in the rev range but just play with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lexington Stanway

Before I got new leavers I was much smoother clutch-less than with the clutch. Up that is.

I have tried down-shifting and never got more than a couple, the 'slot' appears as you decelerate but usually breaking means you are going too slow after one or two shifts.

Also now I have a clutch leaver I can adjust so the bite point is not a millimetre from maximum finger extension, I get no advantage clutch-less. Of course I'm not riding on the track...