Suspension Adjustments

loneranger

Has anyone adjusted their spring suspension yet. I will try mine 2mrw. Probably change to lowest 1 and ride and then change to highest 10 to check the extremes. Whats everyones preferred setting? Would be good to know. I am 5 foot 10 inches 85kg.

Jon

Hey Loneranger..I am 5'10" and 3/4" (!!!) and 87Kg.We would both be better nearer 80Kg, but hey, we only have one life !!

As to suspension - dont mess yet. Get to know the bike over a few thousand, then, maybe, start messing. Not before. Unless you are very confident.. In theory, you can set pre-load based on measurements, just to account for your weight.
Cant alter anything else..

Phil_B

Not yet. I am 5 10 and about 80kg in gear or there abouts. I won be turning the preload down any. In theory the top setting should be for the max load weight in the log book (I can't remember it just now).

I think I may knock it up a notch and see what happens. If better another.

I'm pretty sure standard is 3, thats probably for an 11st person. I cant see more than 4-5 being needed. Remember it doesn't make the spring stiffer. Its about ensuring it sits in the right place so it can go both up and down and keep the rear wheel planted!

Ralph

I don't have a 07 yet so don't know were it will end up set, but I usually
just set the rear till it feels the same as the front as on the 07 it's the
only setting, the more you turn up the rear the steeper the forks the
quicker it will turn in, all the reports I have seen say it's fine out the box
so you have a good starting point.

loneranger

Well against all advise I tried setting to 1 soft today. Did 10 miles and I tell you it rides much better for me. Im gonna try 6 setting tomorrow and see the difference. Probably set back to factory 3 after that.

Jon

I'll probably ignore my own advice and meddle too - at 87 Kg I will be heaver than the average expected so should probably add a click or 4....

Tell us how you get on loneranger.

Phil_B

To be honest Peacemaker at 65 kg you might be closer to the average rider they have in mind.

I've emailed Yamaha and asked them if there is any general guidance based loosely on weight. Though I've not heard back yet.

DJP

The problem with the MT07 suspension is that it combines a too soft rear shock with oversprung (ie too hard) forks – the usual recipe of budget suspension.

The rear shock's not too much of an issue (unless you regularly take a pillion). I'm 95kg and I've got my rear shock 3 clicks from maximum, which feels fine to me.

The forks are a different matter: I put a cable tie around one of the fork legs a few weeks back and since then I've done about 300 miles of very mixed riding – motorway, twisties and pot-holed London streets.

In all those miles, I've used just over half of the front fork travel. Ideally, I should be using all but the last 10-15mm.

You guys that are 80kg and under will be using less than half of the travel – not great.

I'm going to investigate whether there are spacers fitted on top of the fork springs. If there are, I'll look at getting them machined down to produce the correct amount of fork travel.

If there are no spacers, I'll look at fitting some softer fork springs.

loneranger

problem I have had from the beginning is a real rattle/clunck noise from my front forks whenever I go over a bump etc. They have put it down to a dodgy left front brake disc. This is being changed by Yamaha next week. I'm not sure it is this. If I hold my front brake in and push down on front forks the discs do make a knock as they move on the inner joining nuts. Its not same noise as what I experience when I ride though. This sounds more plasticky and is def coming from the front I think. Not a real mechanic so sounds like you guys have a lot more experience then me. This is not right though even for a budget bike. Anyone else have same issue? PS I have ABS on mine.

J-dan

I found that my backend was bounching all over the place and a bit too soft. on downshifting it was sketchy. since then I have cranked it upto 7 and it feels much better so much firmer which is what I am after. and I am 71KG

Last edited:

Ralph

After riding a demo bike I would say for me a 15 stone'er 95kg it needs about 2 clicks
up at least.

jateureka

I found that my backend was bounching all over the place.... and I am 71KG
I also weigh just under 71kg, about 77kg in my riding gear, and found the bike bucks me out of the seat over bumps!

I've just ordered a Wilbers rear shock and am waiting on it to be fitted with the correct spring for me and my riding style. Based on what others have posted on the various forums and Youtube, it should be a fairly straight forward swapout.

I also weigh just under 71kg, about 77kg in my riding gear, and found the bike bucks me out of the seat over bumps!

I've just ordered a Wilbers rear shock and am waiting on it to be fitted with the correct spring for me and my riding style. Based on what others have posted on the various forums and Youtube, it should be a fairly straight forward swapout.
it is and you will notice the difference. word of warning though if the shock has been set up for you make sure you got some sag in it because everything needed to move when you accelerate and when you brake.
if it has no sag the ride will be rock hard and the back wheel may hop or step out under the heaviest of braking,down shifting and have you fighting the bike like you describe (bucking out of the seat). companies that sell shocks set up for you only set them up for your weight because they do not know how you ride a bike.
this is why teams have test sessions because it takes time to get the rider in tune with the machine, tyres and suspension. i know you havnt got this amount of time to play with so once fitted go for a gentle ride then apply medium to full throttle and feel what the bikes doing.
then do a couple of quick stops from 30-40 mph changing down the gearbox keeping the revs above 5k. i do this because you are stressing the engine and the bike plus i always like to know what the bike will do if i have to pull up suddenly.
bike should compress and rebound. if its too tight back it off a click and go again.
i have been working with hyperpro as im racing in the TT next year and it took a couple of days on a fireblade sp to get me right and happy. also they lowered the MT-07 by 20mm front and rear and this has made the bike very aggressive. i will post pictures of the MT soon so you can see the difference.

amavro

Today switched to 5 from 3 default setting and now bike seems more rigid , I am 95 kg so I guess I would have to do more bicycling to loose this excess weight :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk