The all new home made tail tidy thread...

cosmikdebriis

For anyone considering making their own tail tidy....

My original plan was to remove the ally arm of the original design and make up a bracket to mount it higher up.

Thing is...
A) you need to actually cut some plastic which, should you ever want to replace the original system will show.
B) there's loads of it I don't really want (the number plate light and reflector to name but two).

So... I'm working on making a new bracket out of ally that will take the a number plate and indicators (original or otherwise) and mount directly to the chassis. This way you do not have to damage any of the original parts and the bike can be put back to standard quite easily.

Few things to note on the legality as far as UK residents (can't really say for other countries)

A) A reflector is a requirement by law though you could simply add a sticky one to your numberplate
B) A number plate light is required by law. In my system the number plate is only illuminated by the red light of the tail light. To get round this you could either add a supplementary led or (if you're feeling brave) cut a small hole in the bottom of the rear light lens to allow white light out.
C) The size and angle of your number plate will be of your choice and between you and any over zealous policeman who may take an interest.

Below is a basic drawing (not to scale) of the idea. It's fairly simple to manufacture from a flat sheet of ally approx the size of a bit of A4 paper (but considerably smaller depending on number plate size and how far out you want your indicators to sit).

There are a three bends. The top one angles the number plate down so you can bend to suit. The other two are to mount the indicators so will need to be sized according to the indicators you choose. It should be possible to use the original ones though you will have a fairly complicated oval hole to cut out. Personally I would cut and bend the bracket before cutting the indicator holes or they will end up pointing in the wrong direction.

It should be possible to make the bracket so that it is pretty much invisible so don't get over excited about finish. Just paint it all black.

One other thing. The drawing shows square edges to all the corners but these should be rounded or else they will be more likely to fracture with vibration (especially at the bends). (I drew the thing in Excel so couldn't easily draw rounded off bits).

As yet there are no dimensions as this is very much a work in progress. Just thought I'd throw it out there for any suggestions and (constructive) criticism.

Picture one... The bracket.

Picture two.... Where it mounts on the bike (Ignore the bent bit of ally marked up as "B" (that was from an earlier experiment).

da1kini

Are you doing this for the originality or to save money? If the latter it is not worth it...
But if you do it for the fun to have something fairly unique on your bike then its all thumbs up :)

sdrio

I've been thinking of doing this, just for my own amusement.

Might have a go at the weekend and post some results.

blueglue

Are you doing this for the originality or to save money? If the latter it is not worth it...
But if you do it for the fun to have something fairly unique on your bike then its all thumbs up :)
As da1kini said fair play having a play around with this. I hated fitting the Yamaha genuine one as i took me 3 hours all together (I downed tools until i could get a wire crimping/cutting device)

Look forward to the results. You never know you may be able to knock em out for a profit :p

cosmikdebriis

Well... I've already simplified it.

Baisic idea now is to make two, more simple brackets. One for the number plate and another that bolt on to the back of that bracket for the indicators. The advantage being you can easily change one without the other should you wish to alter something.

Here are some pictures of my bodge/work in progress bracket and with number plate and indicators fitted.

Few things to say. I'm still using the original dealer number plate so could go a bit smaller. The angle I have it at is a kind of compromise "police friendly" angle. The indicator is held on with masking tape just to show where it would be mounted.

Personally I like it and it hasn't cost me a penny as I "found" an old ally road sign (that was entirely beyond repair) lying in the gutter and it's just the right thickness ;-)

Tools needed are a pillar drill (you could get away with a hand drill), a jig saw with metal blade and a file.

sdrio

Don't suppose you jotted down the measurements you used did you?

I'm still procrastinating, but this weekend I might get around to having a go at this.