This is a first for me.. Clutch Cable?

Ralph

There's plenty of adjustment at the other end, I'd shorten it there, and wind the handlebar adjuster in. Mine has about 3mm between the lever casting and the round gnurled adjuster thing.

The clutch end has two bolts either side of the bracket, just loosen those and you can set it wherever you like.
You misunderstand or I don't make the point clearly enough, what I am saying is that if I adjusted it to allow me to set the
adjustment with the bar end adjuster further out it would make the angle the cable sits at more acute and more likely to rub
the free play is fine I just wonder if those that have had problems have the bar end lever adjuster further out.

sdrio

You misunderstand or I don't make the point clearly enough, what I am saying is that if I adjusted it to allow me to set the
adjustment with the bar end adjuster further out it would make the angle the cable sits at more acute and more likely to rub
the free play is fine I just wonder if those that have had problems have the bar end lever adjuster further out.
I think I got it the wrong way round.

Just do the opposite. Wind the bar end adjuster right in and take up the free play from the other end.

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding though. If it's still at a wonky angle, something must be wrong, because mine goes in completely straight at the bar end of the cable.

Ralph

I think I got it the wrong way round.

Just do the opposite. Wind the bar end adjuster right in and take up the free play from the other end.

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding though. If it's still at a wonky angle, something must be wrong, because mine goes in completely straight at the bar end of the cable.
Does it by gum, I will have another look at mine then if yours goes straight in that's how it should be likely a cable routing problem.
thanks for that.

Yaminator

Hey Ralph, My one has worn right on the bend/curve after the adjuster..
I'v had a look at mine, no sign of ware at 9000 miles but still don't like the angle that
the cable goes into the leaver at, the adjuster at the lever end on mine is very close
to full in if it was adjusted further out the angle would be even worse, anyway I have
fitted a cable tie just to ease that angle.

Ralph

You would think there would be lots of parts for them in stock the bike themselves must be a best seller for Yamaha.

Ralph

Cos I'am a lazy sod if it had been a customers bike I would have done.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was intended to go through that on in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

robodene

After reading all this again, I decided to look at mine. The cable was certainly not straight onto the lever, so is asking for trouble. A cable tie to the bar has sorted it.

Ralph

Also check the engine end see in the inner is rubbing in the adjuster
due to the brackets being slightly out of alignment.

robodene

Thanks. Lower end is ok-ish, but got some oil onto the inner cable there. Did the same at the top end with some oil in via the slot in the adjustment nut. That should do it.

Ralph

Alaway turn the adjuster so the slot faces preferably back and at least slightly down so water runs off instead of into the trough and then the cable.