Throttle adjustment?

xt660isgood2

I know there is a thread on here ref "stalling" but I think this is relevant.
If you look in the manual It says 2 to 3 mm of play at the throttle ( maybe I'm wrong here, but that seems far too much?)
When changing down and blipping the throttle I have stalled it more than any bike I have ridden before.
So I am now down to around half a mm and it seems perfect (totally diffo bike to ride)
I appreciate that they have to have a certain amount of slack in there due to turning bars and cables stretching etc but it doesn't seem to upset the MT.
Last thing on stalling....If you are in a loud environment, you just can't hear the revs you giving. As we all know it's all about riding and experience on the bike.

dazzor

I don't stall any more. I got my self a Akra exhaust.;)
Ha ha, whilst that's wonderful for you, the OP's post is rather helpful for us poor souls who cannot afford an additional £700+ off the bat. :(

That Akrapovic is lovely though :)

loneranger

serious note though. How do you adjust the free play. I assume on the left side of the bie where throttle cable runs to and you either rundo or do up the nuts on the left side of the throttle control disc?

Ralph

Once you have it adjusted make sure it's not to tight when the bars are turned lock to lock.

xt660isgood2

Once you have it adjusted make sure it's not to tight when the bars are turned lock to lock.
Above comment very important! to adjust the slack. LHS of the bike, look at where the 2 cables meet (it helps to look there while twisting throttle to see how much slack you have)

LHS of the 2 cables, slacken off the top nut and the bottom nut (you basically need to get the whole shaft to move upwards/downwards can't remember to take up the slack) obvious when you do it. A bit of trial and error
but you will get there. ( I have done this as said above, and am well happy. But Yamaha in the manual reckons 2-3mm play) Has anyone ever had that much play in any bike throttle? not me

allyw71

Yeah, my Tiger. I've adjusted it to almost no free play, then when it comes back from a service its back to about 3mm. So I've learned to just leave it.

loneranger

thans for that. IO managed to undo the top left nut, but the lower one is hidden under the bracet. How do you undo this??

xt660isgood2

thans for that. IO managed to undo the top left nut, but the lower one is hidden under the bracet. How do you undo this??
Undo the top nut and run it all the way up the shaft. That then allows you to push the shaft down and the bottom nut will then free (its only held in place due to the hex shape of a nut) obvious when
you do it. Then run the bottom nut a few turns so the whole shaft in affect goes upwards effectively tightening the cable and then lock top nut back down ensuring bottom nut goes back as it was.
Do it in small increments, took me 3 goes to get it right. Hope that makes sense?

TJ63

Why don't you do the adjustment at the handlebar end? It's much easier.

Slide the cover back, undo the locknut, adjust, tighten locknut. Slide cover back. Done!

jonboy99

Thanks! I almost started furtling at the engine end, as couldn't pull the rubber cover from the handlebar end adjuster. After reading your post I went back and realised it splits in the middle. Job done!

Why don't you do the adjustment at the handlebar end? It's much easier.

Slide the cover back, undo the locknut, adjust, tighten locknut. Slide cover back. Done!